Blue Mountain

rprocter

BANNED
hello Kershawians, i'm dropping in from Schrade for a little help. a couple of days ago i purchased (ebay) a Kershaw Blue Mountain 3130; 4 1/8" LB, 2 blades, clip and sheepsfoot. looks like a good knife and a bit unusual to have 2 blades on a LB. i've searched here and at Kershaw website, but can find no mention of this knife. i am not at all familiar with Kershaw knives, so would like to know: app. years of production; upper/lower end of Kershaw products; v. common/rare; steel type ? as well as any other info or experience with this model. thanks, roland

Hi roland, thanks for dropping in.

The 3130 Blue Mountain was part of the Kershaw Officer Ranch series of knives. It made its debut in 1987 and was discontinued in 2003/04. They were produce in Japan and incorporated AUS-6 blade steel. MSRP at the time it was discontinued was $74.95.

Hope that this helps a little, others may chime in as well.

Thanks Thomas, there's a range of opinions about AUS-6, much of it negative. in your opinion (experience), does the way Kershaw do it's heat treatment of this steel result in a good hard working edge ?
and a totally separate question: if i wanted to get myself a top end Kershaw folder suitable for outdoor, around farm use, any suggestions as to models i should look for ? roland

Thanks Thomas, there's a range of opinions about AUS-6, much of it negative. in your opinion (experience), does the way Kershaw do it's heat treatment of this steel result in a good hard working edge ?
and a totally separate question: if i wanted to get myself a top end Kershaw folder suitable for outdoor, around farm use, any suggestions as to models i should look for ? roland

If you are looking for a high end hard use folder you should look into the ZT line of kershaws. http://kershawknives.com/products.php?brand=zt

ZT0200 is a good knife for hard work, but it is LARGE! The Junkyard Dog 2 is a tough knife and fits most hands comfortably, even with work gloves on. Another good tough knife is the Spec Bump, which is comfortable with or without gloves.

ZT0200 in hand:
ZT0200Review008-1.jpg

Spec Bump below the 0200 for scale:
ZT0200Review004.jpg

JYD2 in hand:
100_2845.jpg

20080509_18.jpg

If the knife will get a lot of abuse/hard work, I would go with the ZT0200. Retail $150 is a STEAL for that knife!!!

wow, it's great to get such good advice. those pics really help, thanks Mr. Giant.
my hands aren't that big and i have a Hinderer XM-18 for tough stuff(although i find the handle on it uncomfortable if i have to apply pressure), so i think i'll go looking for the dog (JYD2).
i don't actually need another knife (like 500+ isn't enough ?), but Kershaw is sadly under represented as i only have 1, a Scallion, which i used to EDC for town trips.
so thanks, 'cause a little direction on what to look for is a BIG help. roland

Back