blued spacers question

I just got my first Sebbie the other day and I love it. It's a large classic Cocobolo inlay with swedge, double thumb lugs, and blued lugs and spacers.

When I got it, I noticed that only one of the spacers is blued. The one that serves as a blade stop when opening is not blued. Is this normal? Not a big deal, but I really like the bluing they use.
Maybe I'll give them a call on Monday and see if I can order all blued spacers and torx bolts and swap them in myself. :)

I must say this is a great knife and I'm glad I bought it- now I know what all the talk is about! This is the lightest knife I own that feels this solid. I've been carrying a David Mosier Instigator 2, and while I still like that knife a lot, it feels so heavy compared to the Sebbie, so I'll probably save it for weekends when I can wear jeans. The Sebbie is so light that I forget I'm carrying it. And what a smooth action.
So far I've used it to open some boxes, and it really feels like an extension of the hand. I can't believe I waited so long to order one!
I'll post some pics later tonight.

The spacer at the back of the handle is made of titanium and is anodized blue. The blade stop is made of some kind of stainless steel and probably can’t be blued. If the blade stop were colored, the coating would wear off on one side anyway. If you contact Chris Reeve let us know the real story.

Edited to add: The bolts are allen, not torx. They are made of stainless steel and probably can’t be blued. The thumb lug(s) are made of titanium and are anodized blue.

Stripey357, Just curious, what is the DOB on your Classic Woody? All of mine have gold spacers and thumb lugs.

Originally posted by Ookpik
The spacer at the back of the handle is made of titanium and is anodized blue.

Specifications of large and small Sebenzas from CRK website.

Blade material - 1/8" S30V stainless steel
Handle material - 0.150" 6AL4V titanium
Spacers and pins - 303 stainless steel

All pins and spacers are made of 303 SS and that would include the rear spacer.

Originally posted by Richard K
Stripey357, Just curious, what is the DOB on your Classic Woody? All of mine have gold spacers and thumb lugs.

The DOB is 5/21/2003. I called and had it customized with the blued lugs and spacer. I'm very impressed with how well the thumb lugs grip. The blade is polished, I couldn't take a good photo of it without glare, though.
Here's a few photos of the knife:

sebenza1.jpg

sebenza2.jpg

It's laying across a chunk of tiger iron I polished.

Ah, that explains the blue spacer and lugs. Nice knife! All my woodies are Classics. I prefer the looks of the Classic Woody over the more expensive limited standards.
Welcome to the madness, which model is next? Can't settle for just one ya know:D

Enjoy,

Originally posted by K.V. Collucci
Specifications of large and small Sebenzas from CRK website.

Blade material - 1/8" S30V stainless steel
Handle material - 0.150" 6AL4V titanium
Spacers and pins - 303 stainless steel

All pins and spacers are made of 303 SS and that would include the rear spacer.
You are right. The Chris Reeve website specifications say the spacers and pins are made of 303 stainless steel. I don’t believe it. The screws and blade stop are probably 303 stainless. The thumblugs and rear back spacer look like anodized titanium to me. I don’t know what other material and finish would have the nice blue or gold color. I just sent an e-mail to Chris Reeve Knives asking them what the rear back spacer and thumblugs are made of, and how they are finished. I’ll let you guys know what the answer is when I receive a reply. I hope I’m not full of BS. :)

I'm pretty sure the anodized bottom spacer is aluminum not titanium.

I couldn't take a good photo of it without glare, though
stripey357

To get a better picture, wait for an overcast day and take the picture outdoors. No flash-no glare.

Neil

Originally posted by blackend
I'm pretty sure the anodized bottom spacer is aluminum not titanium.
That sounds possible. I hope I get a reply from Chris Reeve Knives soon. Now I’m really curious.

Edited to add: I didn’t think aluminum thumblug(s) would stand up to wear. Titanium would. An aluminum back spacer would work, but titanium would be nicer. I thought the thumlug(s) and back spacer would probably be made from the same material. Then the finishes would match. I’m not sure if Chris Reeve would use any aluminum on a knife made of titanium and steel.

stainless steel cannot be annodized. The stop pin is 303 stainless. The back spacer is titanium. CRK has never cut corners, why would start now by using aluminum? Your only option for uniformity is to get a silver thumb lug and spacer... Such as on my small clipless sebenza pictured here www.gearoutsidethebox.com/gallery.htm

Why would the use of aluminum be cutting corners? Heck, Microtech uses it on just about every knife they make. It's rugged, non-corrosive and light weight. Not to mention the fact that YOU CAN ANODIZE IT! Gee, now that I think about it, there's a gun manufacture or two that actually make firearms out of the stuff. Imagine that!:rolleyes:

I believe aluminum is 45-50% weaker than titanium. THAT is a pretty big corner to cut. Even though nobody could hurt a chink of an aluminum spacer... geez.. it IS metal! BTW, have you ever seen the price of a titanium Microtech? FOUR digits. Then call it a "custom" but it's not any more "custom" than an "average" Sebenza. I really like MTs. They are the best of what they are. And the price IS right.

You're right Arch, I was just pulling your chain. I guess thinking lighter is better is not alway true when compairing aluminum to titanium. I'm just guessing that the spacer and thumb stud on the Sebenza is aluminum. We will find out soon enough. Doesn't matter to me anyhow which one is used; I will continue to buy Sebenza's regardless. Fantastic knife!

My curiosity got the better of me. I couldn’t wait for the e-mail reply, so I phoned Chris Reeve Knives today. I was talking to Bridget. She confirmed that the thumblug(s) and the rear back spacer are made of titanium and are anodized. The colors available are blue, gold, and silver. The screws, pins, blade stop, and pivot are made of stainless steel. This agrees with the specifications given by Neil Ostroff at True North Knives. Thanks Bridget! :)

Back