Blunt Cut Metal Works - (4) Knife Review & Passaround In Progress!

Father & Son Traditional Sharpening

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I am managing a passaround of a collection of (4) Blunt Cut Metal Works knives right now.

Here is a link to the passaround thread, which I will post part of here with a preview of the knives being offered in the bundle.

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads...iolox-69rc-10v-66rc-s90v-67-rc-zwear.1526175/

5” petty – Niolox 65.5+rc red mallee burl bolster, African blackwood. Sharpened edge: freehand 2K WS and refined with 8K shapton glass

I have used this knife quite extensively in the kitchen so far, the handle is probably my favorite part of the entire knife... the blackwood just feels great in use. It is quite smooth so as to not allow any sort of problems with irritating the skin, yet is secure enough to where I've had no issues with slipping.

I can also really appreciate the fact that it is a hidden tang, on a knife like this you really do not NEED a full tang... as it isn't expected to pry at all. One thing the hidden tang allows for is a decrease in weight in the right places (the handle), extra weight here will only decrease handling qualities of the knife and leave you with something less than nimble.

The blade itself is not only ground very thin (both at spine which is full distal tapered) and also behind the edge. While I don't have measurements behind the edge, it is thin enough to just sail through any foods you might want to use in the kitchen. I have resharpened the blade several times in the time I've had it, resharpening is always quick and straight forward (as in takes only a minute or so depending on my own ability to focus properly) as the edge is not taking gross damage in any significant way. This allows you to remove less metal in order to restore any given apex thickness you are using.

The finish on the blade is left with a 60 grit finish that has had the tops of the grind lines polished down. Luong informs me that this is the best he has tried for reducing sticking of cut vegetables, without resorting to convex grinds which will decrease cutting ability. I have to say that while there is still a bit of sticking with certain vegetables (mainly potatoes), it does an excellent job of releasing the stuck vegetables without much force applied at all. There is a slightly higher polish immediately behind the edge bevel, which is also intended to provide some reduced sticking.

Luong has told me that he has come to really appreciate Niolox steel combined with his 2.5 heat treat protocol when it comes to making a kitchen knife. It's combination of ability to take and hold a shaving sharp edge while having high levels of abrasion resitance means you can cut with low force for a very long time with reduced fatigue and sharpening requirements. I have managed to cause the edge (near the tip, while doing light chopping on acacia wood cutting board) to appear to roll slightly, again it was quickly remedied as it did not chip out.

It is also worth noting that Niolox used in this knife with BCMW HT 2.5 can be resharpened/reshaped edge without needing to resort to diamond abrasives. Standard silicon carbide benchstones should be all that is required to reshape the edge before apexing, which I believe would still be preferably done on a diamond plate just do to the fact there is no loose abrasives to contend with which could damage the apex. Most higher carbide/hardness steels do not behave this way typically from what I can tell.

All in all this has been the favorite knife I have used in the kitchen to date. Another point worth noting is the size of the blade at 5" makes for a sort of goldilocks effect for me in the kitchen. I generally have little to no need for a larger knife with how I prepare foods. Any smaller than 5" blade however and I am really slowed down because I cannot make as long of sections as I would like and be able to process it down. Yet I do not really find the additional length at 5" to be particularly unwieldy for tasks that do not really require the extra length. This knife is something I could truly see using as a one knife only option in the kitchen.

Hunter 10V 69+rc – stabilized spalted tamarind, partial tang

Hunter S90V ~66rc – stabilized (either afzelia or laurel burl), full tang

I always find it interesting to note what types of blade profiles (shapes) are being used and offered as hunting knives. This one especially caught my eye, due to the fact that most hunting knives have a rather large amount of belly or curve in the edge profile. Honestly, while I have not done a large amount of field dressing wild animals, perhaps not enough to appreciate a ton of belly... I always tend to NOT appreciate a large amount of belly when it comes to using that knife for almost anything else.

That being said, this knife has almost no belly... so much so in fact it is closer to being a wharncliffe, although there is a bit of curvature to the edge which will allow for rocking cuts on a cutting board and the like. One thing I did notice while using this knife on a cutting board is there is not enough clearance to be used with a cutting board to avoid having your knuckles contact the board. This can be overcome by just using the edge of the cutting board of course, but worth noting none the less despite it not really being geared for kitchen use it can still be done well enough.

The handle is also a bit different on this knife compared to the other two hunter knives in this pass-around, both of which are virtually identical. I consider this knife more suited to general utility IMO, which the full tang is better suited to me as it pushed back the balance point a bit to make it sit in your hand better.

Hunter Zwear ~67rc – stabilized buckeyes burl, partial tang

Any questions may be either posted to this thread. If I cannot answer the question, Luong (maker) will be monitoring this thread to be of service. Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
What advantage is the high Rc?

Increased hardness can benefit by allowing you to cut things which are quite hard, such as cooked bones or mature coconut shell without taking gross damage. It will also increase edge retention for fibrous materials along with adding edge stability.

This assumes of course that you have the metallurgy tweaked in a way to way the metal is not left brittle or prone to chipping, as is almost always the case with higher Rc knives. Which is why higher Rc knives generally have to be used with very high edge angles, to resist this tendency... therefore maybe not a great slicer.

Luong on the other hand has been not only hitting these higher hardness with most of the steels he uses with his heat treat, they also do not behave in way that is brittle or prone to chipping life you would expect. This is the very thing that really impressed me about Luong's knives in the first place, it is an unheard combination of hardness/strength and resistance to chipping/gross damage.

Beautiful !
Just Beautiful and very useful.
I may order one sight unseen. From conversing with Bluntcut I trust his knowledge and skills.

Beautiful !
Just Beautiful and very useful.
I may order one sight unseen. From conversing with Bluntcut I trust his knowledge and skills.

They are indeed stunningly beautiful, especially if you see/handle them in person... he really made an excellent batch of test pieces here that are above and beyond what they really need to showcase 2.5 HT capabilities. Most importantly they feel great in use or just fondling.

These ones are available to try for 2 weeks via the pass-around, until conclusion of PA. I am sure Luong would be open to sales on these if they survive pass-around. I too trust Bluntcut's for all things knife, hopefully this pass-around will make a few more fans of his work.

Last edited:
How do these compare to your BCMW CPM 10V parer in Ironwood?

How do these compare to your BCMW CPM 10V parer in Ironwood?

The 10V parer was I believe heat treated with Luongs 1.0 HT protocol. These passaround hunter's feature the 2.5 HT protocol which according to Luong is a big step up from even 2.0 HT protocol... which is probably an even greater step up from 1.0 HT protcol parer.

Luong's CWF heat treat protocols are optimized to higher carbide steels, I have BCMW 1095 Utility/Fighter with 1.0 HT... which he claims is much better than 1095 with current HT. It is 67 Rc and I have accidentally smacked the edge into a window sill which only produced minor rolling at the tip.

1095 Utility/Fighter is the knife at far left, as you can see it behaves just like you'd expect 1095 to with regards to corrosion resistance... haha. Also worth noting, the three knives on the left are my 'hunting' & 'utility' knives... interesting to note the handle/blade profile differences between mine and Luong's newest hunters.

I understand that Luong feels that the current iteration of his CWF protocol is worthy of differentiation from his earlier work. Though it very well may be, and knowing Luong, like is. I personally have not used any with the 2.5 HT.

That being said, bearing in mind that you having in hand experience with 1.0 and later work, were you able to see a tangible difference in either edge stability or toughness?

I can't confirm the difference, unfortunately... due to circumstance this passaround is not happening and I am about to send the knives back to Luong due to lack of interested parties. If you are interested in using these knives PM Bluntcut...

Back