blunt tip

my first knife i got, kershaw vapor II, now has a rounded off tip from me not using a pull through sharpener correctly(i was letting the knife drop when it was pulled though). i cant get that sharp tip back now. please give suggestions.

Last edited:
I would rather use a rock than any type of pull through sharpener. With that said the only way to get your tip back is to be properly sharpened on a flat stone or anything but a pull through. I would suggest DMT or spyderco for your sharpening needs.

my first knife i got, kershaw vapor II, now has a rounded off tip from me not using a pull through sharpener correctly(i was letting the knife drop when it was pulled though). i cant get that sharp tip back now. please give suggestions.

Sounds like you have ground off the tip, as in "removed the metal".

To put a sharp point on it now, you would need to reshape the end of the knife so that the metal that is left comes to a point.

I suppose you could do it with a dremel. Extra-coarse diamond stone should work as well. Never tried it myself, but I've read posts from folks that have.

Use a stone to the spine of the knife to get back the tip or redo the edge with a stone, the first method is easier.

Im with Bill and Rodger use a stone to lower the spine till it meets the edge in a sharp point. The other metod needs more skills.
Throw your pull through away and by a flat stone (I suggest fallkniven DC4) or some 1000 grit sandpaper. Its easyer to kontroll angles on a stone than sandpaper. By a sheap but good knife. ex mora and start lowbudgettrain your skills.

Bosse

Retip by grinding the spine of the blade.

Thats what I do when dealing with snaped tips and the like.

I try to keep the point in the same place by taking as much off the spine
as I do off the edge and meet them in the middle. if that makes sense ?

I'd grind down the spine, as Bill said.
I'd use a wide, flat, fine, file, with very light strokes, followed by a stone, then 400 grit SiC paper, then a polishing compound on a hard surface.

The alternative, regrinding the edge, is WAY more risky, since you have to hold the proper angles around the curve of the blade...very difficult with a hand stone.
A Dremel tool will be worse yet, it's very dificult to grind a controlled line with a Dremel.

Grinding down the spine can be easily done.
Just make sure to 'extend the curve' of the spine so that your re-grind blends smoothly with the blade shape.

Back