BM 705 question

prn

Well, this isn't quite a review request, but I don't know of a better place to post it.

I have seen several more or less reviews of the 705 and generally like what I've been reading. Most of you who have it seem to like what you're carrying. I don't have anyplace around here where I can conveniently fondle one to see what it's like, but in general, it looks like the sort of thing I would like. My most common daily carry these days has been a small Ascent (BM820), which is about the same size (overall and blade).

OTOH, it really looks like it would stick way the heck out of your pocket. The Ascent sticks up only about 1cm (less than .5 in). The pictures I've seen of the 705 make it look like about 1/3 of its handle length sticks out of your pocket. Can that be right? I'd really appreciate it if someone who has one would measure how far it sticks up.

adv10Qance

------------------
Paul Neubauer
prn@bsu.edu
If the odds are a million to one against something occurring, chances are 50-50 it will.

I just measured mine and it sticks out 0.75". The knife is slightly small for my hand, but not bad. I actually like that it sticks out a bit, 'cause I can pinch the handle screws between my ring finger and my palm to aid in drawing.

--JB

------------------
e_utopia@hotmail.com

Thanks, e_utopia.

That's not nearly as bad as the pix make it look. That's probably been the single thing that has stopped me from getting one. It still is almost double from the Ascent, but now I really need to get a personal look at one.
smile.gif

Thanks.

------------------
Paul Neubauer
prn@bsu.edu
If the odds are a million to one against something occurring, chances are 50-50 it will.

The other point with the 705 is that it is built like a tank. This sucker is solid.

Mike

I've been carrying one since I got my hands on a pre-production model. Everyday, without fail. I don't use a knife at work, so what I wanted was a trustworthy utility knife that I'd always have with me. Although I've bought over 80 knives in the past year, mostly Benchmade, Spyderco, and Busse, the 705 is the only one that calls my pocket home. The thing that I like the most is that is it rock solid. I've never handled a knife that size with as much "trust me" in it. When I use it, I have no doubts that it will not fold up on me, even if I'm dumb enough to use it as a pry bar.

It can also take repeated dousings with Gun Scrubber with no damage. Zytel melts if it's left one for very long. Not so with G10. This was important to me - I didn't want to completely break it down every time it needs cleaning. The lent law (the smaller the crevice, the more the lent attraction) assures it of getting it's fair share. With Gun Scrubber, I was able to completely blast out all of the sandstone crud and sand out when I'd taken it on a rather rough canoe trip last year.

If I had the money, everyone in my family would've gotten one for Christmas last year.

Get one, you will love it.

------------------
Knowledge without understanding is knowledge wasted.
Understanding without knowledge is a rare gift - but not an impossibility.
For the impossible is always possible through faith. - Bathroom graffiti, gas station, Grey, TN, Dec, 1988

AKTI Member #A000831

[This message has been edited by Codeman (edited 04-11-2000).]

I'll have to agree with Codeman; the 705 is the only folder that satiates my need for an overbuilt, legal-to-conceal, beautiful to look at little folder.

I get attached to certain models, that's why I've got several 705's in case I do something dumb like drop one off a dock after a few beers or the like.

Codeman, I sent a 705 to Dale Reif. He's putting jigged bone scales on and fileworking the blade and liners. I'll post a pic when it's done (around June or so he said); it'll take me that long to learn to post a picture. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Professor.

I have the BM 705 and 710. I prefer the 710.
smile.gif

The only complaint I have about the 705 is that it is a little thick for a knife that small.
frown.gif
It's because of the axis lock.
I alternated carrying these two before I got my large and small Sebenzas.
wink.gif

------------------
RICK - Left Handers Unite

[This message has been edited by RGRAY (edited 04-11-2000).]

I wiil second the part about it being thick. I like the knife and it might my favorite but for its thickness. It is a high handle volume to blade ratio. I think they could hanve made it thinner. The washers are thick, and the liners could be thinned some too. I thing they used these because they are the same thicknesses as the 710 which may make some sense from a production factory point of view. It works ok for the 710 because the knife is so much bigger but it negatively impacts the design of the 705. Too bad, except for this flaw it is a very nice knife. Actually I would not mind if it had a tad more belly.

I wouldn't say it is a flaw that it is so thick. The thickness of the liners and the washers is what makes it such a strong knife. I have a 705 as my daily carry knife.

------------------
Knives everywhere, oh what a wonderful site.
knifedude_@hotmail.com

[This message has been edited by KnifeDude (edited 04-11-2000).]

What I don't like is the thumb ramp. I don't want to put my thumb *there*. Maybe if I had really small hands. But a kid that small shouldn't be playing with knives, right? The thumb ramp on the 710 is bad enough, and I ground that down a bit with a Dremel.

I'd like the 705 quit a bit if it looked like a miniature Ares.

David Rock

------------------
AKTI Member # A000846
Stop when you get to bone.

David Rock says:

I'd like the 705 quit a bit if it looked like a miniature Ares.

Yeah! Me too! I'd certainly be interested (read that as drooling) in a sub 3" Ares. The Ares is too big for people who need 3" or less (for meeting rules and regulations) but not really big enough to count as a big knife. I know some people want a compromise there, and I find the 710 or Military just way too big for my everyday carry; I really need to be under 3". A 705 is a pretty handy size and I really like the Axis lock. But a mini-Ares would be pretty!
biggrin.gif
I'd like that. It would also ride low in the pocket, which would meet my original doubt about the 705.
smile.gif

------------------
Paul Neubauer
prn@bsu.edu

I wouldn't carry the 705 if it stuck way out of the pocket. It's really not bad; so little a problem that I really hadn't even considered it.

Try one for yourself and see what you think. You might be right, but I've been carrying mine comfortably for almost a year now without a second thought of it riding high.

It's a great little knife, so much so that it's my favorite production knife (folder or fixed) of all time!

Professor.

Thanks, Professor,

I have not had an opportunity to see one first hand, just in pictures. As I said in the initial post of this thread, the pictures make it look like the clip is way down the handle. That's why I aske the question that the title of the thread refers to. I'm glad to hear that it does not really stick out all that much, and even gladder to get e_utopia's reply with a real measurement. Any confirmations or otherwise of that measurement are also welcome, BTW. Anyway, I do like the responses I've been getting. I also note with interest that there have been very few 705's advertised for sale on the "Knife Exchange" forum.
smile.gif
I normally tend to take that sort of thing as an indication that those who have them want to keep them. (With overall numbers for market penetration factored in, of course.)

------------------
Paul Neubauer
prn@bsu.edu

Paul,

Heck yeah! That's a great way to look at it! Now that I think about it, I don't see a whole lot of them for sale either. Occasionally I'll see a pre-production 705 go, but you're right about them not being plentiful in general trade/resale circulation.

I think you'll really like it. Fits perfectly in my rather smaller-sized hands, and is a great last-ditch reverse-grip knife ala James Keating should the need arise (hopefully never). Take care!

Professor.

Back