BM Axis Lock folder equipped maintenance.

I had to do some maintenance to my 943 this evening. I bought it off ebay on the cheap and sent it back home to BM to have the blade replaced and it became my EDC blade for the next 4 months. Early on in that 4 month cycle, I had to cut a gasoline fuel line and the gas completely washed all the lube out of the knife. Also, I don't know if there was any thread locker on the pivot screw, but if there was, it was now all gone after the gas went through it. I gave it a good bath with some Purple Power degreaser and dish soap, blew it out with an air gun, let it set in the hot sun just to make sure all the water was out of it and relubed with BreakFree.

Later on in the 4 month cycle, I discovered that the pivot screw was coming loose and giving me tons of lateral blade play. I put some thread locker on the pivot screw and had to adjust it so tight just to get the blade play out of it, that it would make the blade flick action abnormally heavy to open and close. Even loosening the pivot screw up the slightest would give me lateral blade play.

I pulled it apart and found black flakes of debris inbetween the blade and washers. My guess is it was just pocket lint that made its way in due to the excessive play. I cleaned all the crud off, gave the washers a polish, some fresh lube and now she flicks spiffy with no lateral blade play!

Feels good!

Back