BM osborne 940 some toughts / small review

Hello folks:

View

observations:

First thing I tought when I got it out of it's box : Damn, this is *not* the
green knife you see in the pics. It really is quit different in colour..
it's sorta grainy green colour, like Sergiusz puts it so nicely, the green
of fresh summer grass and add a drop of gold. I tought that the purple
spacer would look kinda odd opossing the green handle scales, but it really
is odd..but cute and good looking too. knife is a little off center (about
1/2 mm ) to the left, but who cares, i wanted to get this for it's axis lock
and it's utility value. Believe it or not, the edge length is the same as a
large CRKT pointguard, or a Benchmade pinnacle or a spyderco Endura. So make
no misstake, this is not a little folder.

It does look cool, and rather fragile. I think that's because of it's sleek
handle and blade. Second thing I noticed was the rounded off clip.. Big
improvement here ! It's weight is nominal, lighter then a CRKT M-16 3. And
the overall thinness of this knife makes it feel right at home in your
pocket, even if you were wearing strech jeans or light loose sporting pants
(were a heavy folder kinda drags the pants down on one side). The handle
form is quit comfortable, but I guess that's personal.

Then I started playing with it... I wondered.. the axis lock..so
simple...Would a total stranger to knives be able to open and close it? I
gave the knife to my mam, she usually still seeks a button after she opened
a BM-stryker two handed and wants to close it. The CRKT Lawks is a puzzle to her.
biggrin.gif
This time she looked and just closed
it. I dunno why, but this lock is very intuitive and transparent in use.

Now for some use: Since I don't wanna wreck up it's possible trade value, I first oiled the pivot with some ballistol. Benchmades usually need this. then I inspected the edge.. It was so-so shaving, like hair pulling. the edge wasn't sharpened equally either. But it cut paper O.K. and was quit grabby. The grind of the knife is perfect for daily jobs like cutting steak, opening letters and stuff. Not to mention the blade is not way too thick like on a spyderco starmate. You can actually cut a fresh apple with an osborne, but not with a starmate.

I think, that if don't care for the beauty of this knife (and you will
biggrin.gif
) the utility value in a real-life situation is much higher then an average Benchmade stryker of AFCK. once you carried it a while, you begin to see that it was deisgned as a down-to earth working tool in the first place.. and as a beauty afterwards.

Axis: after a while of playing with it, you can open it whithout the thumbstud, probably faster then an auto. closing goes the same way too. Every non-knife-nut I showed the knife seems to like it. But then I mention the price...
biggrin.gif

Still, after a week, I have a few minor remarks:
1. Benchmade uses small torx head screws with sizes not available here. So no dismanteling it for cleaning or something. I know, it voids warranty. But i'm European.. I'd rather take my chances myself then sending it over the ocean twice with a rather large customs bill attached to it.

2. Benchmade uses some kind of soft pivot screw (the wire showed wear, like someone turned it in wrong).

3. pivot comes loose after like a few hundereds hard openings. not enough to make the blade scrape the alu, but enough to get the blade off center by like a mm. Guess i'll have to trow some loctite in it
biggrin.gif

I am a perfectionist.. but if you're looking a utility folder, loctite the joint and you'll have yourself one of the best and cutest folders around. I can't think of any better that look equally good.

Anyway, I have a few spare screws for that pivot, so no bother.

overall a very good and cute knife, a major dillemma knife tough. Is it pretty/ugly ? large/small? tactical/regular? .... It kinda goes in the middle all the way.

Greetz, bart.

------------------
"If the world wouldn't SUCK, we'd all fall off !"

You can E-mail me at any time....guaranteed reply !

member of the BKS
http://www.expage.com/belgianknives
My photopoint page :
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=488545&f=0

Nice review! Looks like a neat knife, but I have had bad luck trying to trade for one. I guess I need to go buy one now.

I agree, nice review. This my favorite Benchmade. I think it is a very unique design. It has a certain tactical flair without just being black and ugly. And the reverse tanto blade shape really has proven to be a handy utility knife. The grind on mine was a little uneven, but since I reprofile almost every factory edge I buy, this wasn't a big deal. Ant the 154CM steel seems to hold an edge pretty well.

Thanks for great review Bart!
smile.gif

Unbiased - this is the first. Writing mine I was a "small bit" too excited so it came out pretty biased. It can look odd but my excitation and bias didn't go with the time passed, I'm still excited with this knife.

My only complaint is the clip: why they have made so heavy looking black clip on so elegant knife? If it would be lighter and anodized in handle's color - wouldn't it look much prettier?

Bart,
Thanks for the review and photos. The 940 is MPF and I appreciate your honest review.
Serguisz, went to 'mine' . Great review and the pictures were outstanding!!!!!!!!

------------------
teacher

I agree the 940 is a great knife.

Here is another writeup on it from the BM forum:

http://192.41.25.213/ultbb/Forum1/HTML/001584.html

------------------
Jason aka medusaoblongata
-----------------------
"Is not giving a need? Is not receiving mercy?" - Thus Spoke Zarathustra
"Cutting his throat is only a momentary pleasure and is bound to get you talked about." - Lazarus Long
"Knowledge is not made for understanding; it is made for cutting." - Michel Foucault

Sergiusz, the clip of a M-16-3Z fits the osborne and is a little better profiled..

Oh.. sorry about the pics folks, but I only have a flatbed scanner of like 5 years old..I can't help the bad quality of the scans. But the pic does cheer up the review doesn't it?
biggrin.gif

Greetz, bart.

------------------
"If the world wouldn't SUCK, we'd all fall off !"

You can E-mail me at any time....guaranteed reply !

member of the BKS
http://www.expage.com/belgianknives
My photopoint page :
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=488545&f=0

Thanks for the review Bart, and it came at a great time as I got my first 940 today. I had my eye on a blue one at the local shop for quite sometime and not being able to stand it any longer I went in today and asked to see it. I played with it a while fully expecting to be told that it was the last one. When I said I'd take it, the man says let me get you a new one from the back. Anyway, I've got to hand it to all of you guys who actually use this knife. I mean the term pocket jewlery seems to come to mind. Having this one just makes me want to get all the other colors. The al scales are almost soft feeling and now I want to pick up a 710 Al to see if it feels the same.

Back