BM replacement parts policy

Does anybody else find this ridiculous?

My custom Crooked River has the regular black pivot and I'd like satin so I called BM. Their policy is they won't send the pivot screw because the screw is an internal part but they would send me a satin female side only and omega springs if I wanted (aren't those internal parts?) but not the satin screw. I need to mail the knife to BM for a satin screw.

Problem is I'm in Canada and Customs has a tendency of confiscating folding knives like BMs that open by centrifuge force. I explained this to BM and they didn't care. There's still a high probability of customs taking the knife even if you tighten the pivot. BM still said I'd have to send the knife to them and it has to be the complete knife. I can't just send them the body without blade.

Is it just me or is it ridiculous that they'll send practically anything else except that one screw?

They probably have an army of lawyers that figured out what they can send out. Blame the local laws.

Interesting. I have gotten everything I've ever asked for from Benchmade (several times actually, and I'm in CBSA land myself), even stuff I didn't. I just recently got a screw replacement kit for a 940, that included the male pivot screw. According to their own forum, they will supply the male pivot screw but not the female part. However, they may have an issue giving you something that wasn't original to the knife, but you said it was a custom so maybe they classify that as different, dunno.

I do know that they are a little more liberal (Ha, see what I did there?) in sending out verboten parts to us poor unfortunates up here in the Great ***** North. Maybe try again, you may have gotten a rookie at the warranty dept. and next time get an old timer who is even more liberal (choke).

Maybe try again, you may have gotten a rookie at the warranty dept. and next time get an old timer who is even more liberal (choke).
I will try them again but did call twice in a row, got two different ladies, but same answer both times. Yes, being a custom they will put parts on it that were not original to the knife. What I didn't write above was I called 2 weeks prior for a couple deep carry clips and I asked then for the pivot. That BM person said no problem for the pivot (it's a custom they'd do it) but I only got clips mailed to me. Then I called back for the pivot and that's the first post.

BM admin monitor and post in this forum. Maybe they can chime in...and get me the pivot? :)

(I don’t mean to hijack the thread or confuse things, but does anyone know when Benchmade stopped shipping to Canada?)

(...)”UNFORTUNATELY AT THIS TIME, WE ARE UNABLE TO SHIP TO CANADA”(...)
https://www.benchmade.com/shipping-and-returns

(I’m assuming that means knives and not parts. I understand the reason for it; just curious about when that became policy.)

Hijack away.

I called Benchmade again and got the same answer. Not shipping the pivot. I even offered to just buy the flipping thing but they won't sell it. WTF?

They WOULD send you omega springs? Is this a recent change? I have 3 out of 4 omega springs on my 2 bugouts that broke but I made my own since they wouldn't ship them.

That is all very dumb, but you could always sand the black off the screw head.

They WOULD send you omega springs? Is this a recent change?
Yes, would is what she said. It might be a Canadian thing to avoid having knives shipped back. I'm in a Canadian gear Facebook group and have read of others receiving omega springs in the mail.

That is all very dumb, but you could always sand the black off the screw head.
Good suggestion. Would the color match the grey handle tho?

Well it would be silver . . . how shiny it gets depends on how high a grit you use, but I woul start with 1000 grit even if it's slower than lower grits, and go easy on the pressure!

Greetings,
if the knife in question was a custom, why didn't you ask for the satin pivot screw then?

Had the same problem, they wouldn't send a satin blade pivot for a custom grip to Canada. You best bet is to send it in or polish it in a power drill.

Similar issue with me too - just trying to get the alternate version of scales for a Hidden Canyon fixed blade. They wouldn’t do it unless I mailed the knife back. However, they would sell and mail a sheath though. I’m in the US too.

Back