BM Skirmish or Rukus

Halbie

BANNED
I would not normally post a question like this, but search is down for non-members.

Have any of you owned and used the BM Skirmish and/or Rukus? I am trying to decide between the two, as the Skirmish comes in many places next week. If you have had experience with both, that would really help.

It would be mainly for light- to medium-duty hiking. I prefer a large and easy to handle blade, thus the interest in the full-size BM. Otherwise, I'd just like to have a nice BM in the collection.

Those are both GREAT knives. I would choose the Rukus because I think you would be able to cut with it better if you came across wet conditions while hiking. That is the only way that I could base my decision between those two fine folders. Everyone needs a NICE BENCHMADE in their collection! GOOD LUCK! Kevin :D:thumbup:

Those are both GREAT knives. I would choose the Rukus because I think you would be able to cut with it better if you came across wet conditions while hiking. That is the only way that I could base my decision between those two fine folders. Everyone needs a NICE BENCHMADE in their collection! GOOD LUCK! Kevin :D:thumbup:

You just made my decision that much harder! I thought the same thing looking at the handles, and we have a lot of wet weather down here.

The Rukus configured for tip-up carry - as God intended :) - whereas the Skirmish is tip-down. If that matters to you.

The Rukus handles much better. The axis lock and that big heavy blade were meant for each other. And the Rukus cuts much better, which is what you want from a knife.

I have both, they are both excellent knives. For the city, I like the Skirmish - flat carry, lightning fast opening.

For camping, I think you might do better with the Ruckus. It has a long, non-recurved blade - in fact, looking at mine right now, you could almost see the Ruckus as a folding bushcraft knife. The handle is "hand filling" and very secure, that plus blade shape makes it recommended for camping.

Both are great knives, but i would vote for the rukus. Its a better cutter and takes slightly less pocket space.

I owned both but traded the skirmish and kept the rukus. Either way you will be happy, i am just a bit happier with the rukus

The Rukus configured for tip-up carry - as God intended :) - whereas the Skirmish is tip-down. If that matters to you.

Not my skirmish...
l_340a4f1c6b37e8a942c189169f5887aa.jpg

l_b53d8248d13082b7bce53701f6247cd1.jpg

...Then again, mine is not the ordinary skirmish
l_b44343b24a5f159d477a0c81dce187d7.jpg

I have only owned the mini rukus but it is an amazing knife. It cuts great it's strong and it is my favorite camping knife. Oh and the handle is great too. And then you cant forget it had the axis lock.

I have the Mini-Rukus, and love it except for the weight, which is something you don't want on a backpacking expedition. On the other hand, if you can handle the extra ounces, it is a rugged knife with a superb grip, and of course, that terrific Axis lock.

Sorry folks, but Skirmish, hands down. Simple design with perfect execution. Even tip down is OK in this case because of the big, heavy blade.

I vote Ruckus, I'm getting mine pretty soon as well. Tip-up is the only way I carry, and the blade shape, the comfortable handle and the axis lock all come together to one good knife ;)

:barf:

But hey, if it works for you, that's all that matters :thumbup:

I played with one of my Skirmishes too. Haven't finished yet; blade needs a lot of smoothing, it's pretty ugly right now. The only power tool I have is a dremel - and you can tell.

DSCN1782.jpg

DSCN1779.jpg

Back