Bm705

I've been bitten by the axis-lock bug!

Checked out the BM705 at a B&M store today. They didn't have one in the the configuration I wanted (plain, uncoated blade) and I wouldn't have paid thier $150 asking price anyway, but it was sure a cool knife!

I might have to get me one of them someday. Dunno what I need it for, but it's defintely cool!

Mike

Check out the 710 as well. It's considered one of the best production folders on the market.

Mike,
I am expecting my 705 sometime this week. Seems like the perfect pocket knife. My EDC is a 710 and the 705 will be better around the sheeple.
North of the line the B&M stores are asking $195 CDN. Ouch...
Save your pennies.
Gord.

I recently acquired a BM 705 and liked it so much that I immediately ordered a 710 (which should arrive tomorrow, according to UPS). Considering the size of the 710, its "baby brother" is probably more versatile and more useful as an every day carry. I really liked the axis lock, however, and couldn't resist adding the 710 to my modest stable of knives. I'll figure out what to do with it later!

If you have the 705 you just have have the 710 it's kind of a big knife little knife thing they kind of go together like bacon and eggs.

Nathan,
You may be pleasantly surprised by how easy to carry the 710 is. Pretty size efficient, and only 3/8" thick. If you prefer belt carry for a larger knife, be sure to check out:
http://www.mnsi.net/~nbtnoel/
Eric makes a Concealex horizontal belt rig that is very compact, comfortable, secure, and quick to deploy from.

bye bye Photopoint pics:(

The 705 is a great knife. I have had mine for two years. It is strong and keeps a good edge. It is my primary carry knife; I would like something a little larger for weekends and after work but the 710 is too big. I have an AFCK which I cannot comfortable carry in my pocket. I am thinking about a 720.

Yes... the 705 is an amazing little knife. I don't think I have heard anyone who owns one badmouth it. Great weight, feels perfect in the hand and the action is second to no other production folder.

Flashman... Have you considered a 940 or 550. Both have about 31/2 inch blades. If you wanted something nicer, but bigger the 940 is getting great reviews. I have the 550 for camping and hiking and it works great. Blade is thick and tough and the handle is big and easy to grip.

JT

If you're looking for a good medium-sized EDC, check out the 722. I have one in plain edge/satin finish. Best knife I own. I actually prefer it over my Microtechs. Knife was perfect when it arrived, except for a really coarse sharpening job. (With Benchmade, I hear that this is par for the course.)

-Holden-

Owen - thanks for the link. I normally prefer belt carry for larger folders, but you're right, I've found that the 710 is a fairly confortable pocket carry. Plus, I have the model with the aluminum scales, which I believe has a slightly slimmer profile (thanks to Suds for the tip - off). My appreciation of the 710 continues to grow as I carry and use it, but it still seems a little like overkill for the fairly modest tasks I use it for. One of the nice things about the 705 is that it's a lot less scary a blade than the 710. People NOTICE when you pull out a 710. Of course, there may be times when that is a desireable effect, but most of the time I think there's a lot to be said for being unobtrusive.

Looks like Photopoint came back up, for the time being.
Here's that horizontal belt rig.
View

Hmmm... I'll admit my ignorance. How does that thing work? I can't tell from the photo how the knife stays fixed to the belt rig.

Nathan, the rig is kydex, a springy plastic. What you see is only half the rig - there is a mirror-copy of the piece that you see, located directly under it (which is why you can't see it). The knife is held between these two pieces due to their springy nature.

--JB

Here's another pic (sorry, it's upside down:eek:):
View

The loop can be removed and placed on the other side for left-hand carry, too. You insert the knife at an angle like this,
View
and pop it into place. Because the sheath is molded to the contours of the knife, it can't be pulled straight out. Those "lips" are a "thumbreak", but you don't have to use your thumb, just pull up and out on the knife.
Very simple, very fast.

Being "new' to the knife world, the more I read about the 705, the happier I am about my purchase. I'm a "southpaw', so by reversing the clip, I can ware it in my left front pocket of my pants, while on duty at the Jail. I have practiced deploying it, and found it to be extremely fast out of the pocket. In fact, one of my fellow jailers carries an automatic, and it's no faster than mine (much to his disappointment).
I paid $105.00, out the door.

Back