'board bust'n Buck

This tread was originally posted in the Product Testing Forum.

Posting it here is "Preaching to the Choir" but I thought that I would share it with my fellow Buck lovers.

It was the day after Christmas and the empty boxes reached to the ceiling of the breezeway. The sun was shining and the wind was calm so I decided it was a good time for a trip to the burning barrel. After carrying out a half dozen loads, I looked around for something to cut the boxes into pieces that would fit into the 55 gallon barrel.
The first thing that I found was a Buck 112 that had recently returned from the factory after being refitted with a new BG-42 blade. I had serious reservations about one knife being up to the task of reducing the mountain of cardboard to smaller dimensions. There was some really tough stuff, including two double wall, 200 psi rated numbers that had contained leather covered chairs.
I jumped in and wailed away. A half hour later the last of the pile was merrily blazing away and the Buck was barely even breathing hard. The blade wasn’t quite as “scary sharp” as when it had arrived from Buck, but a few passes on a soft Arkansas and a leather strop had it “pop’n hairs” again.
No doubt about it, the best bang for the buck is still a Buck.
Racer Roy :D

KNOWLEDGE THAT IS NOT SHARED IS LOST.

poor boxes didnt stand a chance at my place either.. :)

Glad it all went well.

Jeff

Glad that BG-42 performed for you.

I also have to say that I give a lot of credit to Paul Bos for setting us on the right heat treating path for that stuff.

Just cause many of us use the same material does not mean it will perform for all. The heat treat pedigree of the knife is so important. We bust our butts following heat treat procedures to the tee.

We have one whole page in our catalog this year devoted to Paul, heat treating and edging.

After all...the essence of a knife is how well it cuts, and keeps on cutting.

Maybe we will have to name a knife the board buster one day....

CJ, If you do name one the 'board buster can I buy the first one? Racer Roy :D

KNOWLDGE IS NEITHER CREATED NOR DISTROYED. IT ONLY LOST THEN REDISCOVERED.

Back