Bob Dozier vs. Bud Nealy

Smoke

Gold Member
Who's got the edge or are they both equal in quality and workmanship?

TIA,
smoke

Smoke, I don't own any of Bud's knives but have handled them at shows and have been very impressed. I own three Doziers and they are fantastic. Bob uses D-2 almost exclusively and it is an excellent blade steel. It is about as close as you can get to stainless without being stainless (12% chromium) and requires less care than other high carbon steels as far as corroosion resistance goes. I do not have an unlimited income and I feel that Bob Dozier offers one of the great values in custom bladeware. All of his blades come with Kydex sheaths. Unless you are stuck on a particular Nealy design or you've got money you just have to spend I'd go with the Dozier first. If you can afford get one of each!

------------------
who dares, wins

Owning both, I like the value of the Dozier. Nealy does great work and has some neat designs. A student of Nealy, Chavar is doing some good work too. I just got one of his and it is well made, priced right too.

Shootist,
I have two and have thought about parting with one. We can talk about via email if you are interested. Also not opposed to tradeing.

Regards,

Tom Carey

Though its not exactly comparing Apples to oranges it is pretty close. I have two knives from Bud nealy and had the Toothpick from Bob Dozier. The Nealy knives are last ditch self defense tools. The Persian inspired blade (his names are so exotic I forget them ) is probably only 3/32 if that. Great slicer, super light and with his nifty system infinitly concealable. Buuuttt a heavy duty user it aint. Im sure many people have but it doesnt inspire the confidence that the dozier knives do. Pick one up at a show and you may swear its indistructable. You can beat all over these things without worry. It is though much chunkier and heavier than the nealy knives. I think if its going to be a hide out WEAPON than I would go with the nealy hands down.You can wear one in a suit and there is no sagging,pulling or imprinting. Disappears! Ive carried both the nealy and dozier. If you think your going to want to also use this knife hard; backpacking, work etc, I would go with the dozier and not even consider the nealy.So consider how you use a knife. I work outdoors if a knife is with me it gets used. Bud Nealy doesnt have a site Im aware of but Bob Dozier can be seen at
http://www.kmg.org/bobdozier/sheaths.html
Alex

Went to the Vegas KMG show before this with the intend of getting one or the other for a fixed blade general utility blade, for everyday carry.

Handled (and fondled) several knives from both makers. Both were quality with a capital Q. I finally desided on the dozier for the ergomanics and the fact that I didn't need a hide out type knife.

I got a companion, with the cross draw horizontal sheath. Couldn't be happier with it. Fits just forward of the hip bone, in the field I sleep with it on and it doesn't bother me at all, nor do I ever notice it getting in and out of vehicles (to include 20 or so airborne ops). It can be draw easily with either hand. When I am hicking or backpacking if not on my belt it clips perfectly onto my left shoulder strap in the inverted position.

IMHO go with dozier for general/heavy use, Nealy if you need a backup weapon.

wrj

------------------
Look where I look,
lean where I lean,
keep your shoulders parallel with mine.

I own both. I've got to give it to Dozier. He is one great grinder - his stuff is sharp! And the price can't be beat. Not to imply that Nealy isn't good - he is and his hide-out sytem is among the best. Its hust that doallar for dollar, Dozier is the best

I own 2 of Bud Nealy's knives and one of Bob Dozier's smaller knives. Both of these fellows make excellent knives. For concealed, street type carry I'd go with one of the Nealy knives in his MCS Kydex sheath system because the knives are lighter weight and the MCS sheath system is really well thought out and made. For field wear I'd go with the Dozier knives because of their robust D2 blades, extreme cutting power and wider grips designs.

Actually you should buy one of each... :)

------------------
www.wilkins-knives.com

Kevin, you are entirely too kind and modest. You yourself make some great looking knives in similar styles and prices as some of Dozier and Nealy's work. Heck, he could buy one of your knives and be equally happy.
smile.gif
Just trying to help.
wink.gif

------------------
Don LeHue

The first sign of poor craftsmanship is wrinkles in the duct tape.

Back