"Bob Loveless said:........."

Youve got to grind a couple of hundred knives before you even know what youre doing....so dont just sit there reading this.. get back out in your shop and put the steel to the wheel......
smile.gif
(personally it seemed like it took about a thousand... but Im a slow learner...
smile.gif
)

------------------
http://www.mayoknives.com

So it has taken me three months to get one day away from completing my Magic Knot Knife Project, but it did take me 2 years to finish my first knife so I am getting better!!

I like what you posted Tom. I actually finished wiping epoxy from my fingers only 4 minutes ago. After getting a small drill press (which solved 50% of my problems) I finally got handle slabs attached to my Magic Knot Knife that didn't split and all the holes line up!!! Tomorrow I'll be sanding and buffing the handle, adding the Magic Knot part and Voila, a CrayolaMade Magic Knot Knife will have been born! I'll be posting pics for sure.

I read a neat story in a magazine where the author was talking to (I believe) Ed Fowler and the guy was saying that he would really like to get into making knives but he didn't have any time. Ed Fowler asked, "have you got a T.V.?" "Yeah," the gentleman replied. "Smash it" (or something to that effect) was Ed's answer.

HAHA!! A few hundred more knives and then when I know what I'm doing maybe I'll buy a piece of Talonite! Or, does the few hundred bit start over when using talonite?

------------------
"Come What May..."

The late Norm Levine got me started making knives and he told me "After a hundred blades or so you start to get a FEEL for it"
I started to feel comfortable with what I was doing after about 50, BUT you never stop learning! Talonite is not that hard to grind but I do remember being REAL nervous making C. Calp an Armageddon with Talonite.. I was SOO worried about messing up $300 worth of material. After I ws done I realised it wasnt much harder than grinding anything else, at least in my experience..

Take Care
Trace Rinaldi http://www.pe.net/~thrblade/

Yep, we learn one knife at a time and it never stops. After 18+ years and many hundreds of knives, I'm still a complete rookie next to the masters of this craft. If you ever think you're there, know it all, and are completely happy with your work, stand next to S. R. Johnson at a show for a couple days. That'll screw your head back on straight. The more you make, the better you understand how much more there is to know.

That said, places like BladeForums and CKD Forums (home of the infamous Tom & Jerry Show) can sure make the beginning go faster. It took me 10 years to learn most of the things that are posted on here everyday, and I'm still reading things I never heard of before.
And yes, Tom is slow...
smile.gif

------------------
Jerry Hossom
www.hossom.com
The Tom & Jerry Show

[This message has been edited by GaKnife (edited 09-17-2000).]

Sure Tom, rub salt in my wounds!!! i am going thru withdrawl since i have been at college. Away from my knife collection, grinders, blanks, everything!!! I am going crazy!!!! I WANNA GRIND!!! BASTID!!!

Back