Boker AFD

Chad... your wish will come true!
We will make a new version, that you can carr in three positions!!!

PLUS: it'll have a window breaker and no thumb stud anymore... and a new handle design... and... just be patiend my friend!

I like the design. Allthough the grip looks wide, it doesn' feel bulky in the hand.
There are too less double edge capable folding daggers out there, and this is one of the very few with enough finger protection.

The only reason why I didn't buy one was that I don't trust the thin liner. Especially on a double edge, on which you may use both edges, It doesn't make sense to me. Gerber solved that problem with a LAWKS safety, but forgot about the finger protection.

In my opinion the AFD would be PERFECT as a frame lock.

The only reason why I didn't buy one was that I don't trust the thin liner...
In my opinion the AFD would be PERFECT as a frame lock.
Honestly, although liner lock is not my favorite locking system, the liner on this one is pretty thick (probably something like 1-1,5mm). I've never really understood why people prefer frame lock, sure frame is beefier but you are more likely to accidentaly catch the frame and release the lock with a frame-lock then with a liner lock.

Honestly, although liner lock is not my favorite locking system, the liner on this one is pretty thick (probably something like 1-1,5mm). I've never really understood why people prefer frame lock, sure frame is beefier but you are more likely to accidentaly catch the frame and release the lock with a frame-lock then with a liner lock.
Assuming you're holding the knife on it's grip, I don't see how you could catch the frame while holding the knife. You'd catch your hand.

While a liner lock is holding the blade in it's position only by it's own force, on a frame lock the force of your hand holding the grip is added to that. As long as you're holding the knife in a firm grip, the frame can't move or slip away under pressure like a liner can. Also a frame lock is usually made of thicker material on a knife of this size that wouldn't bend even under great pressure.

I don't have any problem with a well made liner lock (in fact it's on most of my folders), I just don't need it on a dagger for the obvious reason that it would face a lot more force than on any other knife if the back edge would be used. Gerber solved this problem on theyr folding dagger design with an additional LAWKS safety.

In my opinion a frame lock is the missing piece to a perfect design on the AFD/EFD. However, I'm looking forward to see Bökers update of the nice AFD. :)

Chad... your wish will come true!
We will make a new version, that you can carr in three positions!!!

PLUS: it'll have a window breaker and no thumb stud anymore... and a new handle design... and... just be patiend my friend!

That sounds great to me as I've always liked the design and though I've never pulled the trigger on one this could do it, as long as those clip positions allow for deep carry in the pocket. I can not and will not carry a knife that much more than a 1/4 to a 1/2 inch of handle sticking out of the pocket.

@cutter17:
I don't have the dimensions right now. But it can be possible, that not much will stick out of your pocket.
But he changed the handle design, so the last screw of the handle is now right unter the "tip" of the end of the handle, because of the windowbreaker.
And below this screw (which holds the handle together and the windowbreaker) the clip can be mounted.
I guess, I can post a pic of it on Monday.

First off, is that removable thumstud there? Secondly, I think the older handle design was a bit better in terms of traction, or at least appears to be. Tip up clip is always a plus though!

Thanks for the picture, and I like what I'm seeing. Can't read German, but I'm guessing that the 4MM mentioned is in reference to blade thickness? How thick are the liners? I'm also assuming that the 181 gms refer to weight? That would give it a good heftiness at 6.4 ounces if that is what it stands for. Last question, when will it be available in the USA?:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

First off, is that removable thumstud there? Secondly, I think the older handle design was a bit better in terms of traction, or at least appears to be. Tip up clip is always a plus though!

No, there will be no thumb stud!
It is meant to be opened with the sideguards...

The new handle design is very good. It is very slip resistant and it is shaped that you cannot slip onto the blade or if you pull back, that you will not slip off the handle.
Maybe you can find one to handle it...

Or come to SHOT Show...:D