Boker full size Combat Smatchet

Has anyone handled the new Boker Smatchet? I was thinking of ordering one but I've never held one, it just looks like one awesome knife. Something I really need...

BOKER APPLEGATE-FAIRBAIRN COMBAT SMATCHET®

Brigade Quartermasters has a picture at
http://www.actiongear.com/cgi-bin/tame.exe/agcatalog/level4s.tam?xax=15818&M5COPY%2Ectx=23789&M5%2Ectx=23789&M2%5FDESC%2Ectx=Knives%20%2D%20Fixed%20Blades%20Hunting%20%26%20Surviva l&level3%2Ectx=results%2Etam&query%2Ectx=smatchet&backto=%2Fagcatalog%2Fresults%2Etam

For combat or clearing brush, or for merely intimidating the hell out a potential opponent, the Smatchet is the Real Thing! Designed by the famous Commandos Colonels Rex Applegate and Fairbairn during WWII as the ultimate fighting tool, and now reproduced by Boker in a limited edition. The massive full-tang blade is crafted of 440-C stainless steel and measures 10” long by 2-3/4” wide at its widest point. Both edges are honed to a respect-inducing razor sharp edge. Overall length is a reach-extending 15-3/4”, and the knife without sheath weighs a hefty 1lb 7oz. The Micarta® handles are as tough and impervious to wear as the rest of the Smatchet. It is carried in a rugged black Cordura® sheath, featuring a quick-release belt loop, lashing loops and seven grommeted lashing holes.

They "only" want $350 for it.

I saw one at a knife show a while ago. God damn that is a big fukcin' knife!! If someone pulled one of those on me I would turn and head for the hills! You're talkin' one serious killer('s) knife. If you want to chop people to bits, or scare the hell out of 'em, this is the knife for you. You'll rarely find a blade that can do that kind of damage. Very impressive!

------------------
Jason aka medusaoblongata
-----------------------
"I have often laughed at the weaklings who call themselves kind because they have no claws"

- Zarathustra

If you can get hold of a copy of Maj. Fairbairn's book, "Get Tough", it has a whole section in it on how to use the Combat Smatchet. It is an otherwise excellent CQC book as well might be expected.

I couldn't resist and got one. It's a big knife (guess you could see it as a very short sword). While it's billed as a fighter/utility piece I feel it's really a fighter. I think at 3/16th thick it's just too "light" for serious chopping - but then I have kukris for that. Handling is what you might expect - best suited to big movements - do dainty work with a smaller blade. For a close encounter this one is a heck of choice - a dagger on steriods.

I have seen one at a show and played with it a bit. It seems to be a serious weapon capable of making a large wound channel. My only disappointment was that I thought it would be a bit bigger.

Will

Loki & HDCharley,

If you ever get tired of that Large Boker Smatchet, please let me know, as I have a couple of excellent Cold Steel knives that I'd trade you for it. (Stainless Trail Master Bowie, and Carbon V Recon Scout...Both are NIB.).
smile.gif

------------------
Dann Fassnacht
Aberdeen, WA
glockman99@hotmail.com
ICQ# 53675663

[This message has been edited by glockman99 (edited 12-12-2000).]

Here's a good picture of mine.
View

It should be a better picture than the one on BQ's web site.
Charlie

Massive is to say the least..
Awesome Knife..
Only 1200 being made.. Get them while you can..

Great price, but I called American Outdoor and they don't have any Bokers in stock (that's right, any model) and they don't know when they're going to get any. I doubt they'll be able to get their hands on a limited edition.

Bigtree31,
I ordered one from www.blueridgeknives.com a week ago, I have not received it yet, They're dealer price is $187.50. Above and beyond that ,I was told that Boker only made around 2000 pcs. and they were going real fast, also read it in a few mags.I don't know if it's hype or not, just thought you'd like to know.
Ironhorse

I think this full size Smatchet would make a great camp knife. I read the article on the mini, and it accomplished most chopping chores. In that same situation, I would carry a camp axe, but then, I have a big truck and weight is a minor issue. However, some guys like to carry ONE tool to simplify things. The Smatchet would be a good all-arounder, and I have not heard any bad comments on quality.--OKG

Shameless plug: I have one of these awesome knives for sale on a popular auction site wich shall remain nameless. Here is a link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=538708303
This is a huge knife. Not to be confused with the "mini-smatchet". I have owned both and the mini is not in the same league as this knife. The words "jumbo shrimp" come to mind when referring to the "mini-smatchet". Both are quality knives. but this smatchet is big. Real big.

Back