Boker Helios: Need info, please.

I've been trying to find a well-made, clip-point, 3.5"-bladed, tactical folder; with a reliable lock and Tip-down carry.... I think Boker's Helios fit that description well. But, I have no experience with this particular model; and limited experience with Boker.

I would like to hear from anyone who owns that particular model:
Would you recommend it?
How good is X-15, compared to other blade steels?
How far up the handle is the clip positioned, if you attach it for tip-down?
How strong is the lock?
How comfortable, or uncomfortable, is the thumbstud?

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks, in advance.:thumbup:

Monocrom said:
How good is X-15, compared to other blade steels?

This is the only one I can help with. I don't own one, but I've had other knives with X-15.

X-15 is one of the "rust proof" steels, and as such, is kinda in it's own class as far as blade steel is concerned. The only thing I can really compare it to is H-1. It has very good edge holding, better than H-1, but is less rust resistant than H-1(but only barely)

It's an excellent corrosion resistant steel, many other companies also use it. It polishes quite nicely too.

Not sure how hard it is to sharpen though, haven't had the chance yet.

Aloha Monocrom!

Great to see you here!

I had been given a Helios by our very own TJT. (Thanks again Terry!)

Let's get to your questions:

Yes, I recommend it. It is a very well made knife. A bit on the thick side (I am used to carrying Spydeis after all:eek: ) but it is lighter than it appears to be. Be advised however that the tip sits very close to the scale when closed, like the Spyderco E4 models. However, I have never had the Helios open in pocket...thank God! The "grit tape" traction is great, and keeps the Helios in hand.

Boker's X15 is a great steel. It has that "toothy" bite to it, and have noticed that it is a bit more scratch resistant than H1. I have not managed to make this knife rust yet.

In tip down mode, I have no idea how "high" up it goes...perhaps TJT can assist here. However be advised that the Helios has a low carry clip. I personally carry mine tip up, but noticed that it appears to be suited for tip down.

Lock strength, I am not too sure. I did run it through it's paces on my "Cut N Thrust Dummy" going 100%, and no lock failure.

Thumbstud is good on this one too. I like the knurled effect on the top of the stud. After growing up opening Cold Steels and such, it doesn't matter anymore to me what kind of stud is on knives now days.:D

I liked this Helios because it is very durable and rust resistant. Not sure how long the liner will stay un-affected by rust, but so far so good.

Hope this helps, and trust me...if this knife sucked, I'd say so.;)

God bless and see ya later:thumbup:

To: smcfalls13 -
Thanks for the info about X-15. The comparison to H-1 definitely makes it easier for me to understand what I can expect from it.:)

----------------------------------

Greetings Chad!

Your opinion is one that I respect, and I appreciate the fact that you posted.:thumbup:

I also hope that TJT sees this thread, and responds. (Yes, I have been lurking. [That sounds so sinister]):D

I hope to get more intelligent opinions, like your's.... because I'm greedy!;)

You definitely helped me out. God Bless You too!:thumbup:

Monocrom said:
To: smcfalls13 -
Thanks for the info about X-15. The comparison to H-1 definitely makes it easier for me to understand what I can expect from it.:)

No problem, that's the only way I could think of to compare it. It's composition is totally different from most steels, so comparing it to S30V is just pointless.

Daywalker said:
Not sure how long the liner will stay un-affected by rust, but so far so good.

Isn't the liner X-15 as well? You shouldn't have too many issues if it is, but is it possible it's another another steel type?

I've got the BG-42 blade helios so I can't tell about X-15, anything else is really nice:
fit and finish is very good.
linerlock is thick and engages perfectly which is huge improvement over older Boker linerlocks which weren't always great.
The dark blue anodized aluminium handle is very nice: smooth and astonishingly light. The shape of the handle is well designed, with a sort of finger choil, which "locks" the handle well in hand. Ambidextrous thumb stud is the same as on older Walter Brend Bokers (the "real ones" not 420 cheapies), with the same beautiful engraving.
The only thing I'm mitigated about is the wood inserts that have something like very small saw marks on them (you can't feel them, you can see the marks).

The nice thing is that knife is that you can't tell if this is a gentleman or a "tactical" knife, so it's pretty "social".

Opposed to many tactical knives, Boker's "tacticals" I've seen have very thin hollow ground blades. I don't know if they can cut pipes, nails... but one thing for sure is that they are really sharp, no 30° edges that won't cut butter.

In the end a very nice knife. Of course I can't tell about steel.

smcfalls13 said:
Isn't the liner X-15 as well? You shouldn't have too many issues if it is, but is it possible it's another another steel type?

Hey Scotty,

No, I think it's like 420 or something...if there IS a knife out there that uses X15 liners, oh I will be so on that one!;) BTW, ya brought up a good point for monocrom regarding the "high polish" that X15 achieves. Re-Sharpening is as easy as it gets with these "rust proof" steels. I love 'em.

Now, if only TJT can kinda "arm" the higher ups for an all X15 SFB and a X15 blade on the SF...*ahem*.;)

God bless Knifebrother!:thumbup:

Monocrom said:
----------------------------------

Greetings Chad!

Your opinion is one that I respect, and I appreciate the fact that you posted.:thumbup:

I also hope that TJT sees this thread, and responds. (Yes, I have been lurking. [That sounds so sinister]):D

I hope to get more intelligent opinions, like your's.... because I'm greedy!;)

You definitely helped me out. God Bless You too!:thumbup:

Aloha monocrom,

Hey, look into the Gemini line...they are the same as the Helios, but the price is lower and the handles are FRN with grit inserts...something more forgiving than Aluminum.

That's the only thing about aluminum...when ya ding 'em, it sucks.:eek:

Glad i could be of little help to ya, now...I do believe that is TJT's cue!

God bless and see ya monocrom:thumbup:

Daywalker said:
Now, if only TJT can kinda "arm" the higher ups for an all X15 SFB and a X15 blade on the SF...*ahem*.;)

Now that would be something to have:thumbup:

Keep an eye on those liners bro. You remember my last test, 420 takes a WHILE to rust, but it's hideous when it does, and you live in blade steel Hell;)

I don't know what I can add to all the great info
that has been posted already.
I do own a couple of them, and would recommend this model.
I always hate saying that, because I work for the company, but
I do think it is one of our better models.
X-15 is a very good steel, and holds an edge very well.
As far as tip down carry, I, like Chad, carry tip up, but
the Helios carries lower tip down than it does tip up.
The liners are not X-15, it is a 420, but unless you live in a high humidity
environment(Chad), it should be fine.
The Gemini 90X is a plactic bodied version, and is X-15 also, but
the liners are thinner. I would recommend the Helios over the
Gemini, I am more comfortable with it.
HTH, and take care.
Terry

Back