• Preorders are LIVE for the 2024 BladeForums Traditional Knife

Traditional Knife Information Thread - make sure you go in there and read up.

Requirements: Be a Gold or higher member or have been a member of the forums since 6/2023 with at least 100 posts in the Traditional Forum. Preorder is for people who live in the continental US only, international orders will be separate.

Delivery expected in Q4 2024, hopefully before the holidays.

User Name
    Serial number request

Boker Infinity (Ceramic)

Does anybody own one of this? If so, could you give us a rundown as to cutting strength, edge holding, etc.. of a ceramic blade? How about durability? Doesn't it break easily, being ceramic and all?

I'm interested in acquiring one, but would appreciate more info before investing in a new type of blade.
smile.gif
Thanks!

Dan

Dan,
I`ve had the infinity for a couple of months now.It`s weight and balance are very good.
It is the sharpest ceramic I`ve ever seen,bar none. It will shave hair straight out of the box. Supposidly, it will get more"tooth" with use and actually get sharper.I haven`t done anything to test it`s breaking ability ,but it seems to hold up fine
david

Hi David!
No doubt the edge will hold up for a long time, as it is ceramic. The only worry I have is if I accidentally drop it or something, I wonder if it will shatter. Does it come with literature or specs as to its limits? It was made by Kyocera, right? Hmmm... I like to get one, if it's only cutting I'm interested in, though durability will have to play a factor too. How thin is it anyway?
smile.gif

Thanks again.

Dan

PS. Oh yeah, if you intend to sharpen it in the long run, I think you'll need to use Diamond hones, like DMT or EZLap.
smile.gif
around 600 or 1200 grit I believe.

I, too, am interested in this knife. It looks awesome (Boker has been rather drab of late) but that is a pretty penny to drop for a knife that could become worthless if I drop it.

The Boker Infinity caught my attention due to its drop-point blade, which looks like any other folding knife.

What I would like to know, is if there are any brochures or write-ups, concerning this knife, as to lockup strength (no spine-whacking here, hehe), thickness of blade, durability of the edge compared to other steel blades, etc...

Maybe if I'm armed with the knowledge of what I'm about to purchase, that would justify my decision on getting one. Other than that, it's just something to think about as of the moment.
smile.gif

Innocent until proven guilty, hehehe..

Dan

I'm also interested in getting a ceramic folder. The Boker Gamma is more in my price range. I'd also be interested in what anyone has to say about ceramic folders.

Daniel D.

Hi all,
check Tactical Knives July `99 issue. It tests a delta and talks a lot about their ceramic blades.Basically the Infinity comes with a warning "don`t drop".The thickness of the blade is such that I don`t worry about it being damaged. Like the article says,Ceramic is an umbrella term for a lot of materials,and the grade used in the infinity is most shock resistant.If you don`t use it as a prybar, I think it would stand any normal use,including being dropped occasionally. It Is an exellent gentleman`s folder.
BE SHARP
David

The edge on the infinity isn't as great as the 2040 (my opinionn). I tested it at a friends shop before purchasing it. I dropped the folder open at waist height and nothing happend not even a fracture. Then I dropped it on it's point at the same height. After about four drops the point chiped. Cutting wise it did a great job on cardboard and a thick pad of leagal papper. One my friend's customer tested it out on his hunting trips and it stayed sharp, compared to his other knives (metal based). I purchased the last one after what various people told me. I had to send it back to boker for resharpening to the same edge as the 2040. It can only be laser sharpened..and suposedly you can use for ten years with out sharpening it. I was warned not to torque it or use the point as a screw driver.

Hmmm.. very interesting, guys..
smile.gif

I heard that ceramic blades can be sharpened using diamond hones. I'm sure that can be accomplished, though it's going to be pretty close.

So, do you think this is a good investment as opposed to a same-priced steel knife?

Dan

Cost wise I think it's worth it or metal base blades. Try it you'll love it..I was sceptical until I tried it. My next purchase would be a ceramic fillet knife for the kitchen. In Germany and Japan the cullinary masters use ceramic. It's getting some attention here state side.

As for the ceramic it self it is produced by Coor's not Kyocera. Yes Coor's Brewing Company, they produce it and ship it to Boker in Germany and they shape it and mount it. Then it comes back here for distribution.

You can't use a ceramic hone to hone the blade. You supposedly can use a DMT diamond one. Results are bad even for the proffesional honer's. The end ressult is a destroyed blade edge. It's better if you shiped back to Boker for laser sharpening.

Thanks, HR.
smile.gif
Appreciate the info.

Hmm.. Coor's? as in beer?? I thought I saw Kyocera on their brochure as the manufacturer of the ceramic blades... hmmm...

At any rate, you're right in that DMT hones might not even be able to restore the sharp edge, even when using the finest diamond hones available. But, being from another country, it would be costly for me to have to ship it back just to have it resharpened, so I might have to take my chances on the diamond hone if the time comes. I'll have to get myself one of those extra-fine DMT hones first, though.
smile.gif

Thanks again! I'm just about ready to get one of these, most probably the Infinity. I just hope it can take accidental shocks like being dropped.
smile.gif
I don't want to end up crying "oh my poor china..." over pieces of what used to be a knife... lol...
smile.gif

Dan

You can sharpen ceramic on DMT's diamond hones (and others I would expect). It is not difficult as diamond is far, far, far, far, harder than ceramics.

As for how fine a grit to use, a number of people have commented that Mad Dog's ceramics take a fine edge with the Spyderco diamond sleeves for the sharpmaker and they are rather coarse (220 grit)?.

Most people want you to send their knives back simply because they can make more money that way and to promote some magical quality of their knives that does not exit.

-Cliff

Dannyc,

I agree with Cliff that ceramic knives could be sharpened with diamond stones. I always sharpened my MD Mirage X with either EZ-Lap or DMT stones. Just take your time and be careful not to apply too much pressure on the blade.

Take care,

Reynaert

Hiya Cliff!

Heheh... you're probably right..
smile.gif
I don't see any magical properties on ceramic knives, but would be interested in the grit of the diamond hones to make sharpening these type of material more effective. You said extra coarse (220 grit), would anything finer than that work as well? or would I just be wasting my time on anything finer than 220-grit?

Frantium - hey buddy.. what's up?
smile.gif
Whoa.. you got your Mirage already? How does it stack up against those regular steel knives? How long have you been using it before deciding to sharpen them?

And yes, of course we can't put too much pressure (if at all) when sharpening stuffs using diamond hones. Takes a lot longer, but letting those diamonds do the work can give quite satisfactory results.
smile.gif

Thanks guys, for the great info.
smile.gif

Dan

Back