Boker Plus CLB Subcom 42 Titanium

Just ordered one of these, this slip-joint version piqued my interest. Anyone have any thoughts on them...all input welcome.

Sure. One of the best designs out there for its size, imho. Daywalker comes up with some of the most useful designs, and this one carries the torch well. Its easy to get a solid grip on and is just about perfect for a litle folder. Anything clb designs is high on my list of wants. Make it in titanium and it goes right to the top.;)

Curious why the slip joint version? Laws or just cause? Enjoy it.

Thanks for your input. I guess just cause- need a change-up from all the frame-locks I've got. Also curious about Boker's slip joint action.

finally got my new money clip...really liking that it's a slip-joint...

tisc.jpg

tisc1.jpg

tisc2.jpg

Thanks for sharing the pics with us. the slip joint....first ive seen of this model. i got a couple questions. it uses a backspring like any other slip joint right? if so how is the strength of it?

thanks and enjoy yours

Wow - that is sad. A frame-lock with a lockbar that barely moves... how unsafe! I guess all that's left is to consider it a slipjoint. Still - what poor QC! How did that pass muster? Mine, from a couple of years back, was a shocker - dull as can be - remedied with the Sharpmaker (... seemed awfully soft for 440C.). Mine, sn 173x, less the clip, has ~70% lockup. The shiney, supposedly Ti, sides were personalized, ie, scratched up, the first day I carried it. Two keys and some pocket change did the deed. Cute talking point pocket knife quickly became an ugly paperweight - and my only PRC-made Boker folder purchase! For calibration purposes, you can spend the same range of moola on a US-made Buck 110 at WallyWorld and have a perfect - and sharp - real folder, albeit a bit large for pocket carry.

Seriously, I'd send that thing back for credit... or at least to Boker for some kind of repair/replacement.

Stainz

Well, as this is the 42-version it is designed to be a slipjoint. I can't see a problem with it really nor should it be claimed that it is a QC issue.

lol, not a QC issue, this is not a frame-lock, it is a slip-joint that relies on the alignment of the detent ball perched on the lock-bar to recessed holes on the blade for half open, to full open positions. So, there is no back-spring. Compared to my spyderco uk pk with a back-spring, the subcom 42's engagement is lighter.

Wow... same stopbar cut out, etc, but a larger heel on the blade keeps it from engaging. Hmmm, looks like a fortuitous explanation for how to sell some blade cut out mistakes. Can't be much more length there - it'd stick out at the jimping when closed, catch on the stop pin when open. Sorry, my little Subcom was a disappointment. Have you carried your's yet... and 'personalized' it with scratches?

Stainz

Hey Stainz, to enlighten you about the 42 verson...

It is designed to be a slipjoint first. Not an excuse to sell "bad" blades.
Why?
Here's why:

Böker is a German Company.
§42 of the German law was updated in 2008 and now forbids carrying of one hand opening knives, which lock in open position.
So you can either carry two handed locking folders, or one hand opening slipjoints

Some Knife manufacturers have reacted to this by bringing out special editions. Think UKPK by spyderco for example, which was made for the UK to meet their laws.

There are some more knives Böker brings out in a "42" version this year, and as a German citizen I am happy about that. ;)

Best,
Murphys Law.

Stainz,
I've been using it since I've got and so far doesn't show much wear. Then again, it's mainly in my pocket without coins or keys and I don't throw it around haphazardly. The scratches it does have are from the manufacturer. lol

Their solution to a slip-joint makes use of their existing frame-lock parts and just a tweak on the blade tang configuration, if even that. Don't have insight into their manufacturing processes, so they could have just rounded off their existing stock of blade tangs and leaving enough to not disengage the lock-bar. Different means, same results- still a slip-joint.

Last edited:
Thanks, M.L. & d.i., that makes better sense.

I carried my Subcom Ti in my pocket with the change and two keys, a house key and my Jeep's key, for two days before I noticed how scratched it was. It's been in a desk drawer ever since then. FYI, American coins aren't hard - neither are keys, as they are designed to wear rather than the lock components. I carry my CRKs in pocket sheaths, while my EDC BM 755 MPR, of G10 & Ti, goes right in the pocket - clipless - as it has for most of two years - and shows very little evidence of such carry. The bright shiney area of my Subcom Ti's sides are too soft to be Ti.

Stainz

just tested mine, blade open of course- no magnetism. lol

Carry my sebenza a bit less carefully, clipped in the right - bare, as it is already marked up by coins and keys, no deep scratches or anything like that. I'm sure in a month or so, I'll be less careful with the sub 42 and it should start to show some wear- all the better for character.

Mahalo dark impaler,

Glad you're liking the Ti42!;)

Um...Stainz, sorry you had such a bad experience with the SubCom.

Mahalo!

Actually, when I got mine new-in-the-box, I was elated... until I tried to cut paper with it - oops, dullsville! A good bit of carefully holding the little knife as I drew it across the Sharpmaker's files and I was rewarded with a sharp knife - happiness returned - at least for a while. Made several sheets of paper into slivers - then dull again. Tried to carry it two days - unreal scratches on the shiney areas of the Ti. I soon wondered which was the softer - the blade or the Ti sides. Maybe I am expecting too much for an inexpensive knife. It is a neat design, however. One day it'll come out of that drawer again... meet the Sharpmaker - again - and get more pocket time... or meet one of my grandsons...

Stainz

Actually, when I got mine new-in-the-box, I was elated... until I tried to cut paper with it - oops, dullsville! A good bit of carefully holding the little knife as I drew it across the Sharpmaker's files and I was rewarded with a sharp knife - happiness returned - at least for a while. Made several sheets of paper into slivers - then dull again. Tried to carry it two days - unreal scratches on the shiney areas of the Ti. I soon wondered which was the softer - the blade or the Ti sides. Maybe I am expecting too much for an inexpensive knife. It is a neat design, however. One day it'll come out of that drawer again... meet the Sharpmaker - again - and get more pocket time... or meet one of my grandsons...

Stainz

Aloha Stainz,

Sir, I just say beat the hell out of it!!! Carry it as a "loaner knife" if ya gotta...;)

Mahalo!

Daywalker,

Cool design and being a slip-joint makes it that much sweeter.

Aloha again dark impaler,

The 42series of my designs have been quite popular...speaking of which, hopefully they'll make a JC1 42...you'll love this one for sure, ESPECIALLY if they make one in Ti!!!

Enjoy and keep us posted!

Back