Boker Vox Rhino some thoughts and ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary W. Graley

“Imagination is more important than knowledge"
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Been carrying this knife while on assignment this week here in NJ, as mentioned in a previous thread on my Boker Quad score ;) the G10 is a bit on the sharp side where the grinds end, especially at the butt of the handle. Some sand paper was able to make that go away very nicely and end up with a comfortable grip. But there was still the issue of how to carry, you can toss it in your pocket, or hang it from your neck, albeit a bit heavy for that, and I guess there may be a clip thingy you can buy to attach to the holes provided in the sheath. But as there are no stores that are here near by, I ended up using some black tie wraps to improvise that clip thingy, tighten the tie wraps up while you have the belt in place. Here are a few images of the knife and carry idea.

IMG_1563_zps3c62c88a.jpg

IMG_1564_zps4f5cfd3f.jpg

trim the exposed ends of the tie wrap so as not to have sharp edges...

IMG_1565_zpsc60f20d3.jpg

IMG_1566_zps8168edd9.jpg

I picked up a custom skull bead from the Ashokan seminar via Rick Barrett and crew, very detailed and solid bead. I use a cork gasket material that has rubber mixed in to hold the bead so that it doesn't slide further down the braided leather lanyard.

IMG_1567_zps546e1746.jpg

IMG_1568_zps2ffa1b65.jpg

The carry method REALLY works out well, and placing my index finger along the front of the blade, near the tip, makes it easy to find the blade entrance to return the knife to the sheath. Drawing it, with the aid of that lanyard/bead setup, makes for an easy draw and put into use quickly ya gotta love that! and it took a crazy sharp edge, all in all, a nice knife, good going there Jesper and Boker!

G2

Last edited:
Don't forget the stag handled Boker Plus Rhino - it only lists for $10 more - $90 vs $80. The PRC-made knives both have 12C27 blades and a red liner, but the stag version, which I have, comes with a serviceable leather sheath. A great way to experience a VOX design knife, as my 'similar' Solingen-made Boker Pry-Mate lists for $299! Below, top down, are my Pry-Mate, Plus-line regular Gnome, and stag Rhino:

IMG_4496.jpg

Stainz

Nice set there Stainz, I used the Rhino today and it was such an easy cutting job with that knife. Had to make a stop to put into a bottle for work, so I got a length of heavy air hose about a 1" inside diameter, sliced the piece off easily. Then it was overall too small diameter for what I needed so I thought that I'd cut a second section same length, then I'd slice down the length of the hose so I could wrap that section around the first, providing the diameter I needed. Well the downward curved section of the tip was exceptional for this kind of job, as you could slide it down the back side of the hose without it stabbing into the hose, then had to slice off a few more strips to get the proper diameter. And then I choked up on the blade to use just the tip to slide the edge down the corners of the hose to make it a smooth transition on both sides. Again, pretty effortless. So I was impressed with just how well this knife that I liked actually worked so well when press into duty :)

The stag one looks nice, might have to grab one of them too ;)
G2

ps, the tie wraps are still hanging in there, it's a great way to carry that knife, as I said, I put my index finger on the spine of the tip to guide it back into the sheath...

Mine isn't 440c nor did it come with a tech lok, just a very light bead chain which I'd not use on this knife as a neck knife.
G2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back