Bolo's??

I have seen the pictures of the Bolo's on Andy's Custom Variant HeadQuarters. I searched the forums and I found very little information about this type of knife. I have a couple of questions about Bolo's.

Where did this style of knife originate?
What is it's primary use? From the pictures it looks like it would be a great chopper. How are Bolo style knives for general utility use?
What are the advantages of this type of knife design?
Thanks for your help.

------------------
Shawn R Sullivan
ICQ # 82562931

[This message has been edited by MrCas (edited 07-25-2000).]

I have not used a Busse Bolo but have used various other cheaper models of various designs. A Bolo will put a lot of weight forward enhancing the chopping power, the curvature of the edge also increases slicing ability. The only drawback is that it is more difficult to use for lighter more precise work than a "straighter" blade.

-Cliff

Good info there Cliff...let me add that BOLO's are typically long knives and gained big popularity in the 19th century as fighting knives...a curved point with a thinner throat is how they have typically been fashioned, though I have seen some completley long and straight knives called BOLO's, erroneously so in my opinion.

Jerry's BOLO's are so high performance due to INFI, and his design's are sensitive to balance and feel. The two BOLO's pictured at Variant HQ are light and fast in the hand due to the full grinds and dropped handled, putting the center of mass in an AWESOME position for quick movements. And, obviously, they can CHOP and cut rope like "Grant took Richmond".

Expect some streaming video on my site in the near future of the willow leaf BOLO smokin' some rope and limbs...you will be amazed.

------------------
Andy Prisco, Manager
Sharper Instinct, LLC
Phone: 1-201-493-2469
Orders-Toll Free: 1-877-557-5200
Fax: 1-201-493-2039
Visa & Mastercard Accepted

Authorized Dealers:
Busse Combat Knives and Big East Traditional Bows

Professional Shooting Svcs: Corporate Training and Stress Mgmt.

Custom Variant HeadQuarters http://home.earthlink.net/~gregrnamin/andy/sharper.htm

Sharper Instinct Website www.sharperinstinct.com

MrCas,
I have owned a Busse Bolo and let me say they are "magnifique" (I know I spelled that wrong). But here is my 2 cents worth. A bolo is the best of both worlds. It has almost the chopping ability of a Kukri while still keeping it's straight blade attributes as well. It's not as usable as a straight blade and doesn't chop as well as a kukri but it does both so well in the same package you only need one knife. It's two knives in one.

------------------
Everything is negotiable!
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/albumList?u=879893&Auth=false

Andy and Ryu,
Thanks for the information. I have been drooling over the Busse Bolo's. It apperars that the Bolo has a recurve blade, which I love. I have a Benchmade 710 and I find the recurve is really usefull for slicing. I have been thinking that a bigger recurve would be just the ticket for some serious chopping and slicing.
Now, I just have to figure out which Busse I want to get next.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

------------------
Shawn R Sullivan
ICQ # 82562931

Back