Recommendation? Bond vs. Curl

Steely_Gunz

Got the Khukuri fevah
OK, so I have absolutely no need for a new tool. I have over 20 of them, and there is nothing "wrong" with my Leatherman P4 short of the fact that I haven't bought anything new in a few years;)

I have a gift card for the big river site that will be burning a hole in my pocket by the end of the week. I've decided that I'm going to pick up a new tool for a couple of upcoming trips and wanted to see what the consensus of the multi-tool collective is.

I've decided that I am going to most likely pick one of the two new Leatherman models as I want to keep my spending under the $100 mark. I'm hoping to use this particular tool as a weekend/light hiking (think gravel paths 12' wide with folks in their 80s traversing them with ease) tool that will offer a basic set of bits without the added bulk of a full size tool. As I have said, I EDC a P4, and will generally strap on a Rebar or ST300 on the jobsite. This purchase will be mostly opening food packs or turning a screw on something that came loose at a hotel, etc.

My family has a couple of trips coming up in places where the knife laws are a bit muddy and the level of NEED is going to fall squarely in "weekend warrior" types of tasks. Nothing hard-core. My preferred EDC is an OTF Microtech. These will be a no-go. So my options are to bring something along that I already have like my CRK (which i would hate to lose), buy something else like a cheaper Cold Steel, or just relax and understand that every cutting task i am going to find myself needing to get done will easily be handled with 420 stainless. We will be driving so checked luggage is not a concern.

So to talk this out: Leatherman Curl.

Pros:
External one handed blade
Pocket clip
Thinner than my P4
Will allow me to really go light and leave the dedicated pocket knife at home for what little I expect to need a blade.
Customizable bits.

Cons:
More expensive than the Bond
Larger than the Bond
Is not much different from the P4 in terms of size
Limited tool set (no scissors or saw) for the price.

Leatherman Bond.

Pros:
Affordable
Lightweight
Ubiquitous in any setting (not scary)

Cons:
No external tools
Pocket clip not included
Arguably dated design with a limited tool set
Will most likely require me to carry a dedicated knife for convenience.

"Waffling" factor(s)
I dont really NEED a dedicated knife for a long weekend vacation.
I dont really NEED a pocket clip as I will most likely carry it on my belt.
I don't really LIKE not having a convenient blade for cutting chores.
I don't really LIKE having to commit to belt carry if I don't want to.

So given this set of information, which one would y'all choose? Part of me is leaning toward the Bond. Very basic, old school, and super handy in the compact package. Part of me is leaning toward the Curl simply because I like the idea of having a couple of tools at the ready without having to butterfly open the handles. Part of me is a tool snob and is thinking about just holding out and scraping about 100 more and getting a Charge TTi so I will have the titanium and an upgraded blade steel :D

I've got about a month to make my decision, but part of the fun is overthinking these things ;)

Thanks in advance!

I bought both last year (back when the Bond was only $50!). I promptly replaced the files in both with saws (from a Rebar and a Wave for Bond and Curl, respectively). I too prefer the convenience of the Curl's outside-accessible blade and its overall similarity to the Wave.

My automatic response is Curl, because I love mine. BUT if local knife laws are a consideration, I recommend the Bond because the blade doesn't lock or open with one hand. The only real tool advantages the Curl has over the Bond are the bit driver and scissors.

What other tools will you be bringing on your trip? Will you have a SAK? I would probably take along something like a Climber, especially as a compliment to the Bond (for the scissors and faster blade access).

As for "needing" a multitool on a trip, remember that Tim Leatherman first conceived of the PST because of his experiences on a backpacking trip through Europe with only a pocket knife!

I bought both last year (back when the Bond was only $50!). I promptly replaced the files in both with saws (from a Rebar and a Wave for Bond and Curl, respectively). I too prefer the convenience of the Curl's outside-accessible blade and its overall similarity to the Wave.

My automatic response is Curl, because I love mine. BUT if local knife laws are a consideration, I recommend the Bond because the blade doesn't lock or open with one hand. The only real tool advantages the Curl has over the Bond are the bit driver and scissors.

What other tools will you be bringing on your trip? Will you have a SAK? I would probably take along something like a Climber, especially as a compliment to the Bond (for the scissors and faster blade access).

As for "needing" a multitool on a trip, remember that Tim Leatherman first conceived of the PST because of his experiences on a backpacking trip through Europe with only a pocket knife!

All good points, and I may Frankenstein a saw into whatever I end up with. I hardly ever need a saw....but I pretty much never need a file.

Knife laws are not terrible. Mostly the whole nothing concealed but a "pocket knife" which is defined as being small and not "intended to cause harm". Typical vague language where it will probably build down me not threatening people on the street before it becomes a problem. Even still, I don't want to press my luck with my Microtechs.

My activities are going to mostly be hiking a few trails and walking around in town buying some stuff. Nothing really pressing at all. As for what is in my travel kit, I usually have multiples;) I will most assuredly have a ST300 in my bag at the room. I will be sporting a ATC Model 2 hawk on the more rustic trails. My wife keeps a Climber in the glove box, and my daughter will have her Leatherman T4 on her. Truth be told, I've nearly bought of of those as well. If they ever drop one with a more premium blade steel for a $20 upgrade, I would probably bite.

I'm trying to make this an exercise in going minimal...but we'll see if I follow through;)

Last edited:
The bond.
But that's because it was exactly what I wanted from leatherman and because the Curl didn't interest me one bit.

I've had my bond since they first came out and couldn't be happier with it.

Given the backup tools that you will have access to, the Bond will be plenty for an around-the-town multitool.

Glad to hear that you guys are leaning toward the Bond. I kinda felt like the Bond was more of what I was looking for. I have an old Side Kick around here somewhere, a Fuse, and a couple other basic tools lost in my garage. I'm good with going with a minimalist tool. Thinking about it more, the Curl is just a budget version of the Wave, so I dont really feel it brings much to the table. A "slow down and thin about what you're doing" basic tool set makes for nice, compact carry when you don't need much.

Thanks for your thoughts. I ordered the Bond yesterday;)

Well I think the Bond may have an issue as a model goes. Might just be me being overly paranoid/getting over a self-inflicted multi-stitch wound, but it bothered me enough to send them an email within 20 minutes of getting the tool.

For those that don't have a Bond, the tools lock open with a really stiff back spring. It makes for bits that won't fold on you easily yet aren't locking and thus legal for places that frown upon that. The problem is that for the first couple mm of travel, they are just floppy so that you can dig them out without breaking a nail. The issue is that knife blade also does this, so any bumping of the handle as you open the pliers can cause the very sharp and pointy tip to protrude. An unsuspecting person could easily rake their hand down that and into that hungry blade.

In my opinion: it's a piss-poor design. I'm going to see what they say, but I will be shortening and/or rounding that puppy off this week.

20220227_124929.jpg

Well I think the Bond may have an issue as a model goes. Might just be me being overly paranoid/getting over a self-inflicted multi-stitch wound, but it bothered me enough to send them an email within 20 minutes of getting the tool.

For those that don't have a Bond, the tools lock open with a really stiff back spring. It makes for bits that won't fold on you easily yet aren't locking and thus legal for places that frown upon that. The problem is that for the first couple mm of travel, they are just floppy so that you can dig them out without breaking a nail. The issue is that knife blade also does this, so any bumping of the handle as you open the pliers can cause the very sharp and pointy tip to protrude. An unsuspecting person could easily rake their hand down that and into that hungry blade.

In my opinion: it's a piss-poor design. I'm going to see what they say, but I will be shortening and/or rounding that puppy off this week.

View attachment 1753711
I forgot about that issue with the Bond. There was a big controversy when it was first released last year, but I was under the impression that Leatherman had tried to fix the issue by tightening the tool pivot screws so that the tools can't flop out. That's how mine came, at least. I know that some people on the Multitool Forum replaced the blade with the sheepsfoot serrated blade from a Rebar.

I also bought a set of aftermarket disassembly wrenches that fit Leatherman's tamper-resistant screws from a maker on Etsy (loki, I think his name is) so that I can adjust the pivot tightness at will.

This isn't a new issue; the original PST has the same floppy-blade problem (at least, mine did, before I tightened the screws).

View attachment 1753711
This was talked about a bunch when they came out.

I have not found it to be an actual problem, because it's either folded up or my hand is there keeping it from coming out and i have had no problems.
If you are worried however you could put a tiny magnet in there.

I have a bunch of tiny neodymium magnets I've salvaged from all the cheap earbuds I've had over the years, and they're the perfect size.
I put one in there just to see and it worked great, but I wasn't actually worried about the potential issue so I took it out.

I believe this is one of those things that seems like a dangerous flaw on paper, but in practice doesn't really prove to be so.
I have not had it happen or heard of it happening.

I'm sure it's not a big deal. My ST 300 flops out too. I just checked it. I just think it's in such a sweet spot of your hand that you could catch your finger on it if you set the tool down for a minute then picked it back up again.

I'm sure it will be fine once it breaks in. I don't notice it on the ST300 mostly due to the fact that the tool is so smooth it practically butterflies open. The hurky-jerky stops of the Bond make it more likely for the tools to pop free.

I've not taken the Dremmel to it...yet. I cleaned out some of the packing crud with a good soak, flushed it with WD40 and hit the moving parts with Rem Oil. Obviously, the only thing that will make it loosen up will be time and use. I plan on sitting at my desk today and just opening and closing it about 500 times. Thought about dropping some mild polishing compound down in the action to speed it along.

I'm going to keep it how it is until it bites me/gives me a close call 😉

Thanks for taking the time to give your thoughts.

Thought about dropping some mild polishing compound down in the action to speed it along.
The pivot on mine is buttery smooth at this point, but I don't think I'll ever be able to flick it open with one hand in a pinch like I can with my old Fuse.

I put some mag polish in the plier pivots and worked it back and forth a few hundred times before giving it a soak, a flush, and some oil. Better, but I think it will really loosen a bit as I torque on it and use it.

ICFUYFC.jpg

Here’s what I did to my Bond blade to sleep my nights in peace. Not that hard to do. The retention didn’t bother me but I thought I’d rather be sure.

I love the tool though. So smooth to put in your pocket. Good selection of tools for basic tasks. It’s little clunky but I like how reliable it feels because of how simple it really is.

I've thought about making mine into a spear point in order to keep the tip from popping out. I love the shape of the blade on my P4.

I have to agree, it's kind of fun to carry "just" the Bond over my larger tools. I have been trying to make a conscious effort to reduce my dependence on "stuff" when out and about sometimes. Stop worrying about being prepared for every little thing and having a weapon or tool for each situation, leave the cell phone at home the charger (my wife always has hers) so that i dont get bothered with work calls on my time off or scroll instead of enjoying whats going on around me, just carry a basic tool set like the Bond, etc. Live in the moment and pack light.

I've thought about making mine into a spear point in order to keep the tip from popping out. I love the shape of the blade on my P4.

I have to agree, it's kind of fun to carry "just" the Bond over my larger tools. I have been trying to make a conscious effort to reduce my dependence on "stuff" when out and about sometimes. Stop worrying about being prepared for every little thing and having a weapon or tool for each situation, leave the cell phone at home the charger (my wife always has hers) so that i dont get bothered with work calls on my time off or scroll instead of enjoying whats going on around me, just carry a basic tool set like the Bond, etc. Live in the moment and pack light.
That’s exactly the thing I have been into lately. I’m starting to feel like the few buys I make don’t really make me happy anymore so I’m dropping the habit.

ICFUYFC.jpg

Here’s what I did to my Bond blade to sleep my nights in peace. Not that hard to do. The retention didn’t bother me but I thought I’d rather be sure.

I love the tool though. So smooth to put in your pocket. Good selection of tools for basic tasks. It’s little clunky but I like how reliable it feels because of how simple it really is.
That looks great.
You've got me thinking about doing this just because I like the way it looks, but I almost never use the blade on it and am not concerned or anything.

I probably won't do it, but I sure do like how that turned out.

Back