1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Bookie's Portrait

Discussion in 'H.I. Cantina' started by Bookie, Jan 14, 2016.

1. Bookie

Bookie Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 25, 2014
    The intent of this post is not to toot my own horn about me, but to show off and applaud the outstanding artwork abilities of one of our forumite friends, Alan Yip Choy. Making a long story short, Alan did the artwork and it doesn't get much better than this. Shoot! It even looks like me. Well, it would have 40 some years ago anyway! Thanks, Alan!
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

2. LaRueOBR556

LaRueOBR556

Dec 1, 2015
    Amazing! Is it airbrush or pencil?

3. Bigbore577

Bigbore577

Jun 15, 2006
    Alan is most certainly a stellar artist. Not only with his artistic talent but also with his level of composition. He's also a gentleman and a pleasure to work with.

4. Bawanna

Bawanna Moderator Moderator

Dec 19, 2012
    I see a little bit of Glen Campbell or maybe Roy Clark.

I believe it's charcoal but don't quote me on that. I'll second Bigbores comments, he's genuine good guy.

We're hatching a plan to offer his highly coveted "Birth of a Khukri" portrait for sale to members with proceeds going to the much depleted Kami relief fund.
    I'll have more details when it's all worked out. Genuine good guy with good karma/dharma to boot.

Bookie, I like Glen Campbell and Roy Clark, that was a good thing, not an insult. You can be anybody you want to be.

Did you ever let the cat out of the sack and tell your wife where it came from?

5. yipchoy

yipchoy

Sep 24, 2015
    Thanks for the compliments folks. It was an honor to do this for Bookie. The portrait is done in charcoal.
    Alan

6. ndoghouse

ndoghouse Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 26, 2010
    Dude:eek: You are good:thumbup: Id do good to draw one of these emoticons :D Do you post you work in galleries somewhere where we could see more? Id love to see more of your work.

7. Steve Tall

Steve Tall

Aug 28, 2010
    Impressive artwork! (We were already impressed with Bookie's background.) An instant family heirloom!

8. cul4u01

cul4u01 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 5, 2012
    :eek: Way impressive, superb!

9. Shavru

Shavru

Feb 20, 2014
    Have to agree with everyone. Another exceptionally talented Forumite. I think the "Birth of a Khukuri" is stunning, but this one looks like you can feel the texture of the cloth patch. One of the things I like best about the pieces of Alan's work that I have seen is how the people in his pieces seem to have "presence" You get a feeling for the personality of the individual not just the image of them. I think it has to do with the pose and the details around the piece that seem to enhance the person more so than being a separate part of the picture. But however he does it, there is something more to his work than just an image of the person. Maybe that is what it is. He captures concepts and ideas more so than just a picture of a person.

10. Karda

Karda Banned BANNED

Jun 1, 2007
    Awesome !!!

11. SingleGrind

SingleGrind

Jun 15, 2015
    Wow. Yet another gorgeous piece by Alan. I think Shavru put it perfectly, these depictions have fantastic presence.

I'm with ndog; please point us to more of your work if possible!

Oh and Bookie, I think we finally found the cover for your biographical documentary! And a name too! "From Army Patch to Corn Patch"

12. yipchoy

yipchoy

Sep 24, 2015
    Hi Folks,
    once again thanks for the kind complements. In answer to whether I have a website with more pieces of my work, unfortunately not. My bride, who is also an incredible artist, is encouraging me to get a site.
    All the best,
    Alan

13. gurkha berserka

gurkha berserka

Aug 16, 2014
    Really cool! One of a kind piece.

14. Howard Wallace

Howard Wallace . Moderator

Feb 23, 1999
    Incredible work!

15. Jackal_89

Jackal_89

Nov 13, 2015
    Amazing work! That is some outstanding rendering on the patch in the background!

16. Yangdu

Yangdu [email protected] Himalayan Imports-Owner Moderator

Apr 5, 2005
    Amazing work by Alan !
    Thank you for sharing