Books about traditional folders

Hello!

I'm looking for books about traditional slipjoint and locking folders. Books which contains informations about history and technology.
Bokks answering questions like

"what is this kind of blade used for?"

"which knife is called jack, pen whittler, stockman ...?"

and so on.

I have some books for collectors with nice pics of old knives and their values but i'm looking for books mediate basics in historie, technology, produktion, handling and so on.

Can you help me?

Thanks and have a knife day :D

Markus

A good place to start is with Levine's Guide to Knives, 4th edition (not 5th). Go to his forum just under this one and go to his website, maybe he has a few left.

The only place I know where to get a copy of Levine's #4 is AGRussell, and I think the price is up to $75. See Ebay for other editions selling cheaper. The much put-down vol 5 does have some good info in it, although there are some good parts missing.

Also, I always recommend Official price guide to Colletor Knives by S. Houston Price (see knifeworld link above)

and

The Standard Knife Collector's Guide by Ritchie and Stewart. (available usually at Barnes & Nobles and Schulers

Phil

Markus,

textoothpk is correct about Levine's Guide 4th Edition, as Mr. Levine is referring folks to A.G. Russell's site on his "other" forum.
It is an excellent resource, as are the others suggested.

Bill

Knifeworld.com has many

Some good books are levines
goins encyclopedia
official price guide to knives, 4th edition (houston price)*
standard knife colelectors guide, 4th edition (roy ritchie, ron stewart)*
Best of knife world III (on knifeworld.com site)

*These two have short knife company histories

Try using google and then check out the rare/out of print bookstores. I recently picked up a 4th edition for $34 shipped from an Amazon shop. I noticed some stores have it going for as high as $99! Ebay is a good place to try but I was only able to find 5th editions.

Back