Books you're reading now...or then...

I started "The Custom of the Sea" by Neil Hanson and "The Daily Coyote" by Shreve Stockton. Custom of the Sea is a grisly read about an incident of shipwreck, murder, and cannibalism in the 19th century after the foundering of a yacht and Daily Coyote makes up for it. its a nice story about a girl who moves to Wyoming and meets a cowboy/trapper who gives her a coyote pup. :)

Just finished "The darkest night" ended quickly, reading Winter Moon right now
not sure what to think of that one yet, about 1/4 way in.

And I think there must be a 5th in the series for Odd Thomas from the way
they ended the last book?

G2

I'd like to think that the series would run a while, as they are pretty good reads. I checked the Koontz website today, and found it "Odd" (pun intended) that there is indeed a 5th book out now, but it's a prequel, and it appears to be a ....... comic book?

I am almost finished with the entire Sackett series by louis lamour. I have enjoyed everyone one of them so much that I will probably read them all again. Also- my uncle just gave me a book I had to read- so I took it and thus far it is interesting- it's called the Tomb and it is the first of a "repairman jack" series of novels.

I whole-heartedly reccomend 1491 by Charles C. Mann. It is a wonderfully written, extremely insightful, book on Pre-Columbus Indian nations.

I'd like to think that the series would run a while, as they are pretty good reads.
He has said there will be a total of 7 Odd Thomas books before he's done.
I don't know what the deal is with the comic book.

Yeah Owen, read/heard that from him just a few days ago.
Made inferences that he was heading somewhere you'd never
guess he'd be going, watch it all has been just a dream...:)
G2

I just read The Road by Cormac McCarthy. Its a post appocalyptic "boy and his dad" story. Very well written and interesting.

The Arraignment by Steve Martini. Edit: My bad, I was looking at the wrong book. My comments werere about Nelson DeMille's Gate House, which I also just read. Oops.
Mediocre. I'm not easily offended, and it's not a "dirty" book, but some parts struck me as being vulgar for the sake of being vulgar. That detracts(and distracts) from the story line, IMO.
Yeah Owen, read/heard that from him just a few days ago.
Made inferences that he was heading somewhere you'd never
guess he'd be going, watch it all has been just a dream...:)
G2
He better not screw this up:mad:
Odd must be in a coma, then, and having the grandaddy of all dreams.

Last edited:
Let the Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist

I really want to get anne lamott's novels, but can't even consider affording it right now. Slowly getting through your baby and child by penelope leach as well. then it's on to school text books :grumpy:

Treasure of Kahn by Clive Cussler - just love those Dirk Pitt novels! Cussler's books are good exercise for the brain. :)

Treasure of Kahn by Clive Cussler - just love those Dirk Pitt novels! Cussler's books are good exercise for the brain. :)

I like Cussler too, and have read a whole lot of his stuff. This is the problem, I find that all of his stories are so similar that I am now unable to figure out what I have and havent read. Sometimes I will get 1/2 way into one of them and then realize that I have already read it. Somewhat frustrating, but I never buy the books new, so its not a costly mistake. His newer book "The Chase" was however interesting, and a break from the usual style.

I'm about to finish "Six Impossible Things Before Breakfast - The Evolutionary Origins of Belief" by Lewis Wolpert. After that I will be reading "The Double Helix: A Personal Account of the Discovery of the Structure of DNA" by James Watson. I'm a huge science buff.

Jubal Sackett by Louis La' mour, The Tomb the first repairman Jack novel by f. Paul Wilson, and The Dangerous Book for Boys from age 8 to 80- great read.

Bump :)

Just finished the book Let Me In; the American translation of Låt den rätte komma in. If you like vampire books, I HIGHLY recommend this one. Creepy and well written, with a happy ending (of horrific sorts) even! :thumbup:

Waiting for the traffic to die down I parked at my kids school after dropping them off and finished off "The Visitor" by Sheri Tepper. Having read her "Raising of the Stones" I tried this one. An excellent fantasy of a Post meteor strike world set some 1000 years later. With 1/1000 survival rate the new societies fragment into myth and superstition. Although a couple of societies are small technology enclaves others blame science and God as the old world evils so they survive on scavenging pre event materials. :thumbup:

I read a lot of books and have gone through many phases in my life from classics, classic literature, spy novels, war, biographies, history, history and more history. The list goes on and on and on. In the last 5 years I have been reading fiction exclusively to take myself away from chaos of everyday life. Guess what it works.

Koontz as mentioned earlier in the thread. Many, I like his two part series Seize The Night and ??? forgot the name. John Saul too. I have grown to love Stephen King. He is not the writer that he is portrayed as by movie goiers and non readers. He’s a brilliant writer. Nothing compares IMO to Ann Rice. Vampire Chronicles. The series includes (I believe) 11 novels. Along with her Mayfair Witches Chronicles. Three volumes. I have read them all and they have become a part of my life.

So what am I reading now???? The book is called
World War Z “An Oral History Of The Zombie War”
By Max Brooks.
It reads like a documentary. It’s 10 years after the ZOMBIE invasion and the world is a different place. Sounds silly but it’s not;) OK it is soooo what. It goes into some detail of the geopolitical aspects of a zombie invasion. Interviews with those who survived. Interviews with those who fought and how. China is the world power now even after loosing 75% of their population. The world population is reduced 2/3rds. I’m only ½ done and don’t want to spill the beans for anyone who wants to read it anyway. But it’s odd, unusual and very entertaining. :eek::eek::eek:
:)

Last edited:
TWO WHELLS THROUGH TERROR by Glen Heggstad. The story of a California motorcyclist who toured South America. During the tour he was kidnapped by Columbian narco-Communist rebels and held for 5 weeks.

Its a very interesting survival story aboard a Kawasaki KLR650.

TWO WHELLS THROUGH TERROR by Glen Heggstad. The story of a California motorcyclist who toured South America. During the tour he was kidnapped by Columbian narco-Communist rebels and held for 5 weeks.

Its a very interesting survival story aboard a Kawasaki KLR650.

I read this also, Glenn post and has his own thread going over on avdrider.com in case you are curious. I think National Geographic also did a special on his story about a year ago. I think the series had a name like captured or locked up abroad, something like that. It was interesting though, but as always the book is better.

All Bill Bryson's travel books are really funny. The book that made me laugh out loud more than any other though was Jerome K Jerome's Three Men in an Boat. Once I'd read the first couple of chapters and got used to the style, I had to stop reading every page or two to get my breath!

I'm currently reading Charlotte Bronte's "Villette", going ok so far!

Back