Boomerang, Midirang, and Bittyrang

David Mary

pass the mustard - after you cut it
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
How many knife models would a knife maker model if a knife maker could model knife models? A knife maker would model all the knife models he could model if he stayed up late modeling knife models instead of sleeping or playing endless online chess. Behold the Boomerang 2 and Bittyrang:

Just under 8 1/2" overall with 4 1/4" blade, and 5 5/8" overall with 2 3/4" blade, there will be at least two prototype sets of these coming for winter/spring 2023 in .100" AEB-L, heat treated by none other than Jarod Todd, of course. Thanks to Sharp & Fiery Sharp & Fiery for his kind words of praise for this model originally made as a one-off, which encouraged me to develop it further, and give it a baby brother.

1668588055151.png

Love that handle style, it's always been a favorite of mine. Classic. So versatile however it's held.

*I don't like jimping, but That's always easy to file/grind off. haha..... :)

I'm looking forward to where This is going.

I may have been persuaded by Sharp & Fiery Sharp & Fiery to start thinking about a Midirang. Here is what the design would probably look like, at just under 7.4" overall and 3.4" blade. If any are to be made, it will probably be no sooner than Spring/Summer of 2023, depending on how its big brother and little brother do.

Boomerang, Midirang, and Bittyrang.jpg

I may have been persuaded by Sharp & Fiery Sharp & Fiery to start thinking about a Midirang. Here is what the design would probably look like, at just under 7.4" overall and 3.4" blade. If any are to be made, it will probably be no sooner than Spring/Summer of 2023, depending on how its big brother and little brother do.

View attachment 1996438

I’m sorry. 😉 (Can’t get more Canadian than that!) 🤣😂

Love the shape- kind of like a santoku and a western chef’s knife had a baby. Sometimes I think there’s not a new design under the sun, but this feels very fresh and looks very utilitarian.

I always imagine sharpening the blade away to nothing over a lifetime of use, not that it ever comes to pass. Is there a way you could make it such that the protective “finger choil-like” feature doesn’t get ground away? It’d probably just screw it up, but I think about those kinds of things.

Also, I think you’ve done a great job making three unique sizes. I’d be happy with any of them for various reasons.

I like ‘em all, but I’m really starting to take a shine to the bittyrang. Can’t wait to see these prototypes, but I’m thinking there’s gonna be one in the first production run with my name on it.

I’m super excited for these. I think they will be excellent working knives. I really like the subtle changes to the original Boomerang. Just absolutely fresh as EngrSorenson EngrSorenson has previously stated.

For all my USA friends…how cool would a full set of “Rangs” be each with a different color micarta handle…say…red, white and blue? 😎

You should play me a piece on the piano while your at it.

Back