Boots and sleeping bag for $200?

Discussion in 'Wilderness & Survival Skills' started by renoknives, Feb 17, 2006.

1. renoknives

renoknives

Aug 6, 2000
    It's time for me to upgrade my gear but I have a budget of $200. Please recomend a four season sleeping bag, it needs to be fairly light and small for backpacking and a good pair of hiking boots. I've spent far too much on knives and flashlights so I only have $200 to spend for both. Also please suggest a good place to buy them
    Thanks, Jack

2. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall

Jun 23, 2000
    In my opinion, there is no such thing as a 4 season sleeping bag.

3. grobe

grobe

Aug 18, 2005
    you may want to narrow your criteria. 4 seasons where?? and what do you like in a boot??

4. mewolf1

mewolf1 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Oct 24, 2005
    IMO you won't touch a 4 season bag for much less than 4-600bucks;
    at least not one you can count on.

5. Guyon

Guyon Biscuit Whisperer Staff Member Super Mod

Mar 15, 2000
    Anything that approximates "4 season" is going to be bulkier than 3-season gear.

For good deals on quality gear though, I recommend checking out www.sierratradingpost.com

Sierra stands behind their inventory 100%, and they often have really nice prices. I bought two pairs of Lowa Scout (leather) hiking boots from them and have been really happy with them. Paid about $100 per pair.

Boot fit is important though and can be tough to do online. I had tried numerous boots at REI and other outfitters. The Lowas from Sierra came in 12-and-a-half size--which turned out to be just what I needed.

Other good sites to check are http://www.rei.com/outlet/ and www.campmor.com

6. Thomas Linton

Thomas Linton

Jun 16, 2003
    I think Gunyon kit [Ed: well, hit anyway. Duh!] it on the head, including as to sources.

First you have to ask, "What's '4 season'?" 0f -10f -20f?

What are the boots expected to handle? wet? cold? how cold?

Bags rated to -40f can be had, but $100 or so will be tough. I see -20f at Campmor for $219 and -40f for $249, both Northface. Of course, a big part of that price is the North face label, and that's all it is - a label. Someone else makes them(Slumberjack once upon a time). Usually, Campmor has more mummy bags in the "super Deal" section.

Sierra Traders are honorable folks who absolutely stand behind thier stuff. Unhappy? Send it back.

Boots I have to try on. You could risk Cabela's. They have lots of choices.

7. renoknives

renoknives

Aug 6, 2000
    Thanks for the replies. Maybe I should revise my sleeping bag criteria to three season 10f. Likewise for the boots, comfort and durability are my main concern.

8. frediver

frediver

Nov 10, 2000
    10d is easy. then with good shelter and ground pad you will be set. But there is more to sleeping warm than just having a pricey bag. I have purchased bags for family that cost < $100.00 that I have every confidence will be sufficent to well below freezing. Watch the sales at REI outlet and other sites listed above. <><

9. skammer

skammer Banned by Moderators Banned

Jan 18, 2005
    Like everything you get what you pay for more often than not. $200 for a bag and boots is possible but they will be inferior and may not perform well for very long.

It is possible though.

skam

10. skammer

Jan 18, 2005
    dreaded dble post

11. renoknives

renoknives

Aug 6, 2000
    Skammer, thanks for the ebay suggestion. Any advice on brands/models?
    Thanks, Jack

12. skammer

Jan 18, 2005
    Living in Reno you wont be dealing with bone chilling cold at night but some decent 3 season synthetic brand name bags can be had used at a decent price. You just need to clean it before use. For your climate down is the best bag to buy used as the insulation does not break down and is easily cleaned.

My full leather hiking boots were $400 I picked up on e-bay for $75 with only 2 minor scuffs on them not even broken in.

There are deals to be had but you must be patient.

Hound

13. Guyon

Guyon Biscuit Whisperer Staff Member Super Mod

Mar 15, 2000
    Hard to go wrong with major labels--REI, Marmot, Kelty, Northface, Mountain Hardware, etc.

For fall and spring, my wife and I both have down bags. I have a Marmot, she an REI. Both are good bags that provide sufficient insulation. Hers was a really good deal--a closeout at just over $100. I paid twice that for mine.

For summer car camping, we have a couple of light "summer" bags that actually zip together to make one big bag. (You can sweat to death in a down bag in the deep South.)

Just like boots, it's important that the bag fit you as well. If you're going to shop online, I'd deal with companies that don't mind returns or exchanges--places like Sierra, REI, L.L. Bean, and so on.

14. spyder10

spyder10

Dec 19, 2005
    down backpacking bag....the size of a nalgine, good down to freezing it you have a coat also

15. Thomas Linton

Thomas Linton

Jun 16, 2003
    The down items must be kept dry -- protected both from precipitation and perspiration. They are much less forgiving than polyester in that regard.

16. Joezilla

Joezilla Moderator Moderator

Jul 22, 2005
    Ebay is the way to go. You can pick up whatever from there. REI is having a crazy sale now, and what you can't find at one store they can ship from another store. Be patient. There are also some geartraders on backpacker websites.