Off Topic BotoPhucket

PeteyTwoPointOne

Platinum Member
I started out using that infamous photo hosting site based largely on the fact that "everybody uses Photobucket" :rolleyes:...but after about a year in and having NUMEROUS problems with upload/download speeds I bailed on it and transferred everything over to Imgur...that was about 3 years back and it was the best move I coulda made.

Even though I was directly spared the wrath of the photopocalyse and losing my albums/images...I'm constantly dealing with the fallout indirectly.

For instance, today I wanted to go back to Jerry's OP about his development/sketches of the SARsquatch...broken photo link...arrrrrgghhh :mad::mad::mad::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

TWO QUESTIONS, please:

Jaxx Jaxx or ANYBODY ... is there any way to recover these HISTORICAL pics?

2. Also, I don't trust that a similar FUBAR incident cannot befall Imgur...so what's the best , simplest, end of the world, SHTF failsafe to save images for perpetuity?

THANK YOU in advance! :)

Last edited:
I have been running into the same problem trying to reference back to older posts and see nothing but broken photos. I stopped using online photo hosting and just got a bigger sd card for my phone to store more photos that way. I use an image resizing app for posting on the forum. This might not be the best approach for all but for me it is all that works since there is no internet services out here and I rely on my phone data.

Jerry could probably download his own photobucket stuff, if he doesn't already have it saved somewhere else. I downloaded all my photobucket stuff after it quit working.

As for the simplest failsafe, you can always save the pics on your hard drive or burn them to a DVD.

2. Also, I don't trust that a similar FUBAR incident cannot befall Imgur...

Someone else pointed this out about Imgur's TOS a while back and I think it's worth noting again:

"...Also, don't use Imgur to host image libraries you link to from elsewhere, content for your website, advertising, avatars, or anything else that turns us into your content delivery network. If you do – and we will be the judge – or if you do anything illegal, in addition to any other legal rights we may have, we will ban you along with the site you're hotlinking from, delete all your images, report you to the authorities if necessary, and prevent you from viewing any images hosted on Imgur.com. We mean it."

https://imgur.com/tos

It's anybody's guess whether they'll eventually pull a Photobucket, but I just store/backup all of my images locally and use free, no account services like Tinypic and ImgBB for posting. They could go kaput someday, but at least I don't have to worry about my whole library being wiped out or held ransom.

Thanks fellas...

And thank you Nate...I used the opportunity to clean out pics I didn't want to save. The ones I wanted to save I downloaded back to my pc, changed pic format and then uploaded to Imgur...just like a clean upload to begin with!

Short answer? No...not nearly all. PB really screwed everyone everywhere there by being one of the more affordable & reliable ( despite their issues) for so long...
Sometimes you might have luck searching Google or other engines and it might find a low res (thumbnail) version of the pic...but unless Jerry or anyone else has them all saved to a device(s) or internet storage, good chance the full size image(s) are gone for good. :(

I was able to fully recover all of my PB images. Just gonna probably take another 10 frakkin' years to repost them...lol

Postimages looks good. It's free, and it says one of its purposes is to host images for displaying in forums etc. Might have to give it a go. Thanks for the suggestion.

If anyone out there still believes all the advertising about "The Cloud" being the answer to all your storage needs, wake up.

It has never been easier or cheaper to do your own storage. Buy some large terabyte drives and store your info.

Don't have a desktop ? Get one.

Back