Bought a User

Hey guys,
I just received my (new to me) large classic micarta sebenza and I am thrilled. The knife is dirty, dull, gunky, has a weak clip and is scratched to hell. But I LOVE it! The handle is soo comfortable and the perfect size.

It's pretty smooth bit I can only imagine how smooth it'll be after I order some flourinated grease and clean her out.

One of the previous owners modded the thumb stud to remove the point but it doesn't bother me.

Having never held a large, I was afraid that it would be too big. But it isn't, It's perfect IMO.

The knife came with out a box or date card but The Ti is labeled B 06, so I'm guessing that's the year it was made (?).
I am also guessing the blade is S30V.

What do you guys think about my new user? :)

Last edited:
I have been seriously considering one of those.

I'd be really happy at least from what I can see.

Care to share ballpark price paid? eBay?

I think it is a beauty. Micarta scales its the perfect user. It doesn't look that bad from where I am sitting how is the blade and the lock-up?

I have been seriously considering one of those.

I'd be really happy at least from what I can see.

Care to share ballpark price paid? eBay?
Yes, I got mine off eBay from a seller with a great reputation. I paid just over $280 for her. I think that is a good deal considering that a new micarta 21 costs over $500. Keep your eye on the bay and good luck!

I think it is a beauty. Micarta scales its the perfect user. It doesn't look that bad from where I am sitting how is the blade and the lock-up?
Thank you. I agree, she is beautiful. The scratches aren't THAT bad. I really enjoy the look of a well used sebbie. The lock up is solid too:) the blade has a few scratches and gas been polished but it's still awesome.

Looks great, use it in good health!
Thank you sir:) To you as well.

That's a screaming deal. :thumbup: I ordered a new large micarta earlier this week and your thread is helping me cope until the mail man comes around.

$280 is a fair price. I would send it in to the CRK spa and have them re tumble the blade, blast the scales, and replace that hideously modded thumb stud. You can also request a new box and a reissued birth card. You will essentially have a like-new Seb.

That's a screaming deal. :thumbup: I ordered a new large micarta earlier this week and your thread is helping me cope until the mail man comes around.
Haha. You are going to be one happy camper when it finally arrives. Enjoy it mang:)

$280 is a fair price. I would send it in to the CRK spa and have them re tumble the blade, blast the scales, and replace that hideously modded thumb stud. You can also request a new box and a reissued birth card. You will essentially have a like-new Seb.
Thank you. I had no idea that CR reissued birth cards. And as for sending her in. I will definitely be doing so but I am not looking forward to the +2 month turn around time that people are posting about. I know it would be worth it though.

Congrats ! Thats a great deal on a great knife.
I love the Classics. I have the large and small Micartas from 2005.

Yes, yours is S30V and was made in the second quarter of 2006. Or at least the scales were. The knife could have been assembled many months after that.

Wow, great user for sure and fantastic price. I would send her to the spa to get the cobwebs knocked off her, so you're starting from a clean slate. :thumb up:

You know it's funny when I first got interested in CRKs, I didn't care for the micarta (only saw pictures online). But there was so much fuss, I figured it would be worth purchasing one to try it out (I could always easily sell it). It was love at first feel! It's now my favorite knife!

Congrats ! Thats a great deal on a great knife.
I love the Classics. I have the large and small Micartas from 2005.

Yes, yours is S30V and was made in the second quarter of 2006. Or at least the scales were. The knife could have been assembled many months after that.
Thanks for confirming. I'm looking forward to getting acquainted with her:) it's my first experience with S30V.

Wow, great user for sure and fantastic price. I would send her to the spa to get the cobwebs knocked off her, so you're starting from a clean slate. :thumb up:

You know it's funny when I first got interested in CRKs, I didn't care for the micarta (only saw pictures online). But there was so much fuss, I figured it would be worth purchasing one to try it out (I could always easily sell it). It was love at first feel! It's now my favorite knife!
Thank you. I think I got lucky and no one bid any higher, lol!
My first CRK was a plain small 21. And although it was a great folder, the inlays just make it that much better. I can already tell I won't be putting this thing away for a looong time.

How resilient are the micarta when subjected to rough use?
I've never held a brand new micarta seb so I don't know how rough/grippy it is but the micarta on my user seems pretty well worn and a little less grippy than ideal. But I still haven't cleaned her off so it may just be dirt on the micarta that makes it seem smooth.

awesome choice for a user, beautiful knife!

price is a steal! would be thrilled to get one at that price!

I just got a large reg user Moon Song yesterday. It has a lot of 'character'.

The back scale and clip are both smooth...no bead blast at all on the ti. Some scratches but not bad. The front scale is some what

scratched. I'm going to send it to CRK just to have them make the tip have a sharp point and a sharpening.

I bought it as a user and don't want it to look like new again.

How resilient are the micarta when subjected to rough use?

Micarta is a very tough material. Slightly less so than G10, but I much prefer it over G10. It has a warmer feel, and grips better.

I've never held a brand new micarta seb so I don't know how rough/grippy it is but the micarta on my user seems pretty well worn and a little less grippy than ideal. But I still haven't cleaned her off so it may just be dirt on the micarta that makes it seem smooth.

Micarta soaks up oil from the hand over time. I've found a Q-tip and gun degreaser works best for the micarta inlays. A good dish soap with degreaser(like Dawn) will also work, as well as rubbing alcohol.
I have all of my custom fixed blades made with micarta. Yours will grip better when you clean it.

I have a large classic (no inlays) that I carry at work everyday. I love that knife. The titanium seems to be getting darker the more it gets carried and used.

I also have a large Insingo w/micarta inlays. I really like the micarta inlays. They add to the ascetics and to the purchase of the knife in your hand.

Enjoy the new knife!

I agree the spa treatment is a good idea if you can live without it for a while. If you cannot live without it then use little CRK grease, sharpen the blade, put it in your pocket and use it as the need arises. Either way its a great knife and you got a good price.

awesome choice for a user, beautiful knife!

price is a steal! would be thrilled to get one at that price!
Thank you. And thrilled I am!

I just got a large reg user Moon Song yesterday. It has a lot of 'character'.

The back scale and clip are both smooth...no bead blast at all on the ti. Some scratches but not bad. The front scale is some what

scratched. I'm going to send it to CRK just to have them make the tip have a sharp point and a sharpening.

I bought it as a user and don't want it to look like new again.
I feel you. Nothing sexier than a well used seb. I sol my first sebenza because I bought it new and couldn't brig myself to scratch it up. Lol. Enjoy your knife, I know I will:)

Micarta is a very tough material. Slightly less so than G10, but I much prefer it over G10. It has a warmer feel, and grips better.

Micarta soaks up oil from the hand over time. I've found a Q-tip and gun degreaser works best for the micarta inlays. A good dish soap with degreaser(like Dawn) will also work, as well as rubbing alcohol.
I have all of my custom fixed blades made with micarta. Yours will grip better when you clean it.
Thank you for the tips. I will do exactly that when I get the CRK lube in te mail. I don't eat to take it apart and then have nothin to lube it with.

I have a large classic (no inlays) that I carry at work everyday. I love that knife. The titanium seems to be getting darker the more it gets carried and used.

I also have a large Insingo w/micarta inlays. I really like the micarta inlays. They add to the ascetics and to the purchase of the knife in your hand.

Enjoy the new knife!
I agree. The plain sebs are great, but the inlays make it have that perfect grip. I can't wait to feel them after I give them a through cleaning.
Enjoy yours as well!

I agree the spa treatment is a good idea if you can live without it for a while. If you cannot live without it then use little CRK grease, sharpen the blade, put it in your pocket and use it as the need arises. Either way its a great knife and you got a good price.
Thank you friend. I am still deciding whether or not to send her out. But I think ill keep her for a few months before anything.
Speaking of CRK grease. Does anyone know where I can find some? All I've managed to find are tiny little dispensers. Anyone know where to get he syringes I've seen around?

Thank you friend. I am still deciding whether or not to send her out. But I think ill keep her for a few months before anything.
Speaking of CRK grease. Does anyone know where I can find some? All I've managed to find are tiny little dispensers. Anyone know where to get he syringes I've seen around?

CRK has stopped making the grease in the syringe, a few years ago. All you can find now is the 5g dispensers.

Back