bought my first sebenza!

I have always struggled with the idea of spending over $300 for a Sebbie, but let me tell you I am sure glad I did. I'm a real fit and finish freak and to date my top knives in that regard were a D/A LCC and a D/A SOCOM. But honestly, the Sebbie does inch them out in terms of fit and finish, absolutely zero blade play (which I have encountered on some LCC's, but sadly not mine), and an overall elegance due to simplicity of design, and of course the lockup.

The main reason I got it was that I was looking for a smaller, less "people scary" knife. So I dropped by a gun and knife show and finally it was down to only a few: this Sebbie (small classic S30V), a Mnandi, an Umfaan, a William Henry Mattlock, and a William Henry Tan & Gold CF Spearpoint. The Umfaan was out quickly, way too small, especially for the price. The William Henry's were VERY nice gentleman's folders, light, cosmetically superb and excellent fit and finish (as good as the Sebbie). But alas, I feared that I might end up being "too scared" to carry and use them, they were too damn pretty. It was down to the Mnandi and the small Sebenza: I did think the Mnandi looked nicer, particularly the pocket clip, I really liked it and it was a little difficult to open. But finally in the end, I chose the Sebenza because all the other knives, including the Mnandi (because of the thinness of its handles) were just "yet another liner lock". It was after 10 minutes of eyeing and handling the Mnandi and Sebbie (in the open positions) that I closed and re-opened them both. It was the solid "THCK" sound and feel I got from the Sebbie when it locked that did it :)

I do have one complaint though, the action on the Sebbie feels a little too tight, it is not as smooth as my LCC. But then again it does have no blade play... Does the Sebbie significantly smooth out with use? I love everything about it except that fact, the polished screws, the rounded blade spine, the thumb grooves on the spine are smooth, and the blue thumb stud and back spacer are real nice touch, love having some color other than grey or black on a knife!

Anyway, I'm so glad I joined the Sebenza crowd, finally!

jadis--Two things will happen. It will get a little smoother with use and you will get used to the feeling of quality. :) :)

Jadis, when I get a new Sebenza I immediately put a drop of FP-10 on each side of the blade at the pivot. Then spend half and hour in front of the TV opening and closing. When you finish this ritual, it wll be smooth as glass.

"I do have one complaint though, the action on the Sebbie feels a little too tight, it is not as smooth as my LCC. But then again it does have no blade play... Does the Sebbie significantly smooth out with use?"

I have a similiar ritual/procedure as Richard. The first thing I do is field strip it, wash all parts thorohly with dishwashing liquid (new Sebenza slabs are kind of sticky), then lube adequately with CRK Fluorinated Grease. I love that stuff! Then I open and close (not wrist flick!) it a zillion times.

After this procedure, I can hold my (large plain S30V) Sebenza locked open in a horizontal position, unlock it and the blade will FALL to a vertical position. My previous Sebenza, a large plain BG-42 version, worked exactly the same way. Too cool!

I also strip my new Sebbies down for a wash and lube as soon as they arrive. Any liquid dishwashing soap and your fingers will do ya in the wash department (just use caution when handling a soapy Sebbie blade !). For lube. . .I use Sentry Solutions Hi-Slip Grease.

While mine always arrived smooth outta the box. . .a relube always made them somewhat smoother.

Not only does a strip-down tweek the operation of your Sebbie it also gives you a chance to see what makes it tick. :D

Congrats on your new purchase !

And welcome to the fold. ;)

I agree with the "burn in" operation for the phosphor bronze washers and pivot mechanism.

On rare occasion, the lock bar tension may be placing undue pressure on the blade via the ball detent. This happened with a Sebbie that I owned. Returned it to the shop and it came back in great shape.

With a small Sebbie, it has been my experience that the opening smoothness will not be as smooth as say, an AXIS lock mechanism - even when the blade will drop freely as L.O. Little described. However, the overall performance and feel of the knife will make up for any lack of smoothness you may percieve.

IMO the large sebbie has a smoother feel, probably because the lock bar has a little less tension, and the thumb stud may be further away from the pivot which makes leverage upon opening easier. YMMV.

Either way - the small sebbie rocks!

Back