Bought some 2000 grit sandpaper...

Gonna try the "smoothness mod" on a couple of my less smooth openers.
Anybody ever had a bad experience trying it?
I don't have a strop, think a leather belt would suffice?
Don't have a micrometer, either. Figure I'll just take it real easy the first time.

Hmm...

I would think that the parts mating/polishing from the constant wear of opening/closing would work just fine, if not better, but do what you want.

Either way, if you are definitely gonna use sand-paper to polish make sure to do as little sanding as possible.

Also, I would think that 2000grit is not fine enough.

Good luck! :D

What parts are you planning to sand? I tore down the umnum last night to clean it up and relube it. I polished the inside of the scales around the pivot area as well as both sides of the washers with some steel wool and it did the trick. I suprisingly took the sandblast texture off very fast. I left the blade alon since its already polished. Anyway after some lube and locktite, i set it to where it to where the blade was centered and the action is amazing. Pure awesomeness.

Was just going to do the blade side of the washers for literally a few seconds.

And I didn't even know there was such a thing as 2000 grit before I heard of this. How fine do they go?

I wasn't sure about the paper but I do know you can get water stones at 10,000 and above.

Was just going to do the blade side of the washers for literally a few seconds.

And I didn't even know there was such a thing as 2000 grit before I heard of this. How fine do they go?

You want to POLISH the bushing without really removing many molecules. I'd go at least 5000 grit or alternatively use a metal polish and very carefully rub the bushing with the polish and a soft rag.

I recently sent a small sebenza out to get it customized and it came back with a slightly bent small washer. I tried to bend it back a bit and there was a tiny hump that would still cause the action to be stiff. I figured I would give the 2000 grit sandpaper a try. I didn't use a measuring device nor a strop.

I just gave it about 10 circular motions on each side of the washer and put the knife back together. It felt a lot better, pretty much like a new sebenza that needed breaking in. A few days later I got bored so I took it apart again and went through another cycle of polishing. Now the knife opens and closes super smooth.

It has room to be even smoother but since I don't have a micrometer I didn't want to push my luck. The only reason I even did this was because my washer was bent. If you don't have a micrometer you could try polishing it a bit every time you need to break your knife down for a relube.

I thought about doing mine, then I got it in. It falls closed when the lock is released without any flip needed.

The guy in the vid uses 2000 grit. So yes that should work. I would test it first. Does it fall closed or need a good flick? That would be the best way to tell with no mic.

As far as strop, you could use a metal polish like chrome polish from auto parts or senior aluminum polish (fine) directly on glass with very light pressure, or a piece of cloth, like beds set (not terry cloth, use woven cotton) stretched tight across glass to polish it.

I tried to sand down the washers of my small sebbie, on utterly worn 2500 grit sandpaper and some Flitz......
All it gave me was , and I had to send it back to CR for a tuneup an new washers

So: Think twice, sand once.....(or just break it in properly)

If it were me, I'd use flitz on a piece of cardboard from the back of a notepad.

Gonna try the "smoothness mod" on a couple of my less smooth openers.
Anybody ever had a bad experience trying it?
I don't have a strop, think a leather belt would suffice?
Don't have a micrometer, either. Figure I'll just take it real easy the first time.

I did it and it came out so nice, I couldn't be happier. I did it about 3 days after that vid was made and didn't use calipers. I was very cautious and ended up having to do it twice but the work was more than worth my time invested.

I used the 2000 grit sandpaper & some BRKT green compound on a thin strip of cardboard that I cut out of a manilla file holder. I wanted it to be firm and no slop or no waves in the surface.

Just get some really thin cardboard and put it over a piece of glass or a smooth hard surface with no imperfections and you're ready to strop those washers to look just like in the video.

My only advice would be to duplicate the video as closely as possible and take it easy. If you end up having to do it twice, it's better than overdoing!!

You're going to be amazed at the difference. I don't advocate doing this however. :D

Strop compound alone is more than sufficient and still very quick. A few circles on the leather and you are done. The washers polish up very easily. You really don't want to remove material.

I wonder how much material i removed polishing the washers and smoothing out the scales. I cant feel any difference at all in lockup. There is zero blade play in every direction. Micrometers? I mean, i have one but is it really that crucial?

I needed to do this on my small Sebbie as the tolerance stack-up resulted in me barely being able to tighten the pivot screw. It's now excellent.

Some notes on grit... 2000 is fine to use. No matter how nice you make the finish, some bedding in will result between the blade and washers. You will still end up seeing circular marks on the blade and washers after the mod.

Tips:
1. Use a flat, smooth surface to lay the sandpaper on. A small glass mirror works fine.
2. Use water to help lubricate an carry away the removed material.
3. Use light pressure when sanding.
4. Even 2k grit will do some quick work when new. Only do a few back and forth movements and check the fit.
5. Use light pressure when sanding. Yeah, said it twice :)

You only need to do one side of each washer. The sanded side should end up flatter, so put that facing the blade. Go slow and the result will be good.

This is not covered by warranty so screwing up will cost you.

Now see if you have side to side blade play while holding your lock bars out?

Just curious if anyone feels any?

Well, I chickened out. Skipped the sandpaper and just used some polishing compound and rubbed the washers of my EDC small insingo on the back of a notebook on glass, per several suggestions. Somehow they were filthy. Made a big difference. Falls closed nicely, opens and closes super smooth.
Thanks for the advice, everybody.

Back