Bowie Knives

Yes, Bors, I am serious.

And Anthony and I weren't discussing "what the Bowie knife has come to be known as." I think we all know what that means (just about anything anybody wants it to mean).

Interesting!!!!

Give me a bag of popcorn when you post that over on Levine's forum..... ;)

Well back to the the original question which was a bit ambiguous. But I believe the sprite of the question meant "big" knives. Big knives have there place but I think they are best paired with a smaller knife. The large knife for the heavier chores and the smaller knife for food prep and what not. A good camp knife around 6-9' can do double duty. The big knife can do the small knife jobs but the small knife can't do the big knife jobs. However with a little thought most things can be worked around even with a small knife. If your talking fighting/dueling then I would have to pick the larger knife.

Duly noted and thank you :)

Bors, as I PM'd you privately, I just want to keep the peace around here and I want to note for the record that I appreciated both your understanding and gentlemanly correspondence. :thumbup::cool:

As to the fate of Jim's original, it's always been my theory that a Mexican soldier took it as a trophy and it's at this very moment being used to cut the heads off chickens by a man who has no clue he's holding the American equivalent to Excalibur.

As to the fate of Jim's original, it's always been my theory that a Mexican soldier took it as a trophy and it's at this very moment being used to cut the heads off chickens by a man who has no clue he's holding the American equivalent to Excalibur.

I think there's probably a better-than-average chance that you're right about that . . . if it hasn't rusted away to nothing due to 175 years of neglect.

What do you mean "real thing" and "decendant"? :confused:

I would pretty much consider any large, clip point, fixed bladed knife as a "bowie". That would include lots of relatively modern knives from the USMC Ka-Bar, to the Cold Steel Trailmaster, to the SOG Trident. For years most hunting and survival knives were of this pattern.

IMO there is really nothing fundamentally different between them and what were first called bowie knives back in the late 1800's except for materials.

Historically I have no idea...

But I also think of the Kabar as an example of a decendant 'bowie'.
Having a guard helps it fit in to the image of a bowie.

Jim and Rezin liked to make gifts of knives. It's believed by many that the Sandbar knife was a gift to Edwin Forest and still survives today in a private collection. The letter that was thought to have accompanied the knife was destroyed in a fire. the knife along with other items was moved prior to the fire. While many make the claim to have the "original" the forest bowie is considered to be the front runner.

Now did a Mexican soldier take the knife Jim had at the Alamo. The answer to that is probably yes since the bodies would have been pillaged Pryor to burning.

Actually, I'm a firm believer in the theory that Bowie's Alamo knife has never been found because the guy in the future who will invent the time machine is a knife knut, and he went back and snatched it.

Hey, it's as good a theory as anything. Lighten up, guys.

Was there not a description of the knife in a letter from Davy Crocket? My google fu is failing me at the moment but when I was looking at purchasing one last year I am sure I read some mention of the letter and that it described a wicked hooked blade that made him sick to look at it.

Jim and Rezin liked to make gifts of knives. It's believed by many that the Sandbar knife was a gift to Edwin Forest and still survives today in a private collection. The letter that was thought to have accompanied the knife was destroyed in a fire. the knife along with other items was moved prior to the fire. While many make the claim to have the "original" the forest bowie is considered to be the front runner.

Now did a Mexican soldier take the knife Jim had at the Alamo. The answer to that is probably yes since the bodies would have been pillaged Pryor to burning.

The Edwin Forest knife..

http://www.tamu.edu/ccbn/dewitt/adp/history/bios/bowie/forrest.html

I wish the accompanying letter to the above pictured Edwin Forest knife that was reportedly destroyed in a fire had survived. It would be a very interesting read.

Was there not a description of the knife in a letter from Davy Crocket? My google fu is failing me at the moment but when I was looking at purchasing one last year I am sure I read some mention of the letter and that it described a wicked hooked blade that made him sick to look at it.

The link here comes from a conglomerate of good sources/references and is definitely worth the read!..

http://www.realarmorofgod.com/james-bowie-alamo.html

Back