Bowtie hatchet

I have a Bow tie hatchet that was given to me in a box of rusty tools. I guessed it was home made , until I hit it with a wire brush yesterday. It's lightly stamped WPA - which didn't change my mind about it being a one of a kind craftsman made.
I was surprised to see it had a manufacturers stamp on the other side Anyone familiar with "Handmade" brand tools?
enhance

enhance

enhance

Far out Square_Peg! But what on earth would Works Progress Admin. have to do with tomahawk-type implements? Roofers, plasterers, form setters, fencers, farmers, and trappers etc. all seek hammer faces to go with their blades. The plot thickens.

Thank you Steve. Now it makes much more sense. Although I wonder whose political affiliation the company owner was that managed to find a gov't-supported market for these. Useless tool otherwise since masonry/brick hammers had already been around for a long time.

Steve,i've an identical small side-axe to your last couple photos.I used as prescribed,as a carpenter's hatchet.(Most satisfactory tool,we've been happy together many years).
As a smith,i can clearly discern some individual hammer-blows that helped shape that tool,and it has most definitely been forged "by hand".
Among the US,British,and Canadian smiths,this subject has come up regularly-what constitutes "Hand"-forged,-made,et c.
The informal consensus seems to be that to qualify as such the forging must have been Held by a living hand while forged.
Now,i've a couple of points to make:First,that the largest mass that it is Possible(as in Reasonable,and/or on a basis of constant,repeated work) to forge by hand Literally(as in holding it And administering the forging blows),is roughly 5/8" square stock.(alas and alack).
That means that ANY (solid)forging that weighs more than a pound or so has had some sort of Power applied to it's forging.
That extra "power" may've been one or more strikers,or a power-hammer of whatever sort(waterwheel-driven helve-hammers date back to 16th century and earlier,for example).
It really helps to distinctly differentiate between the Pre-,and the Industrial Age era forging.Before that age of machines (that we so take for granted),most axes,for example,were of course composited using several different pieces(up to about 7,to the best of my personal knowledge).
The image of a smith as a loner is,of course,Entirely misinformed.Rarely was it that forging was accomplished with less than 3,often-many more assorted professionals involved.
The reason for that is that is that inescapable difference between a Forging,and a Riveting blow.The first,penetrating the mass of a forging throughout,causes minimum of internal dislocations,and is an absolute MUST in any plastic deformation(the official definition of "forging")-based work.

Please excuse my hectoring tone,by no means i intend to lecture at all,let alone anyone in particular.....
It's just,again,as a smith,i often feel misunderstood,and unjustly slighted,when i hear/read mention of "such and such is a Machine-made axe,so why in @##ell is it so expensive?!",and other opinions overtly or less so implying that smiths,for avaricious,alterior motives,are skimping on all that "hand-work"!:)...

And i know that in speaking to many of you i'm preaching to a choir,but i'll go ahead and say this anyway:The visible(and often irregular)tool-marks are a sign of a smith loosing control.NEVER a good thing,structurally,metallurgically and all other important senses.
In the past,properly forged object did not appear all banged up,but quite the opposite.Only in the last several decades is the "forged look" comes creeping in,as a reaction to all the machine-finishes surrounding us everywhere....
Or,like in that hatchet above,they're a result of expediency,and are left around all the non-critical to function of the tool places.

Thanks Steve, Double headed Brick axe- now I got that covered lol I have a 6 pound Rock hammer with a very light WPA stamping. Looks like they were marked on site for identification.
The WPA worked in manyof state/ local parks on stone bridges, monuments around here. It's a shame that more people don't know about it.

Last edited:
JakePogg

Thank you for that information and enlightenment (for me).
I am always learning and that was a great lesson I will be rereading again and again.

Miller

Thats a cool design.
I wonder if a version was made for hewing? Left & right handed in the same tool.

Back