1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Boy scout knife

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Triq, Oct 22, 2014.

1. Triq

Triq

Oct 1, 2009
    I was wondering who is making the best traditional style boy scout knives these days. I want to get my son something that he can keep for the rest of his life,even if its in a sock drawer. I personally like carbon steel but I'm not against stainless. The only thing that's for sale on the BSA site seems to be a cheap Chinese knock off of the old school Ulster knives.

2. ellipticus

ellipticus

Jan 21, 2013
    W.R.Case has a series of BSA licensed knives.
    Go to the Case website and look in the "licensed" section.
    I believe others make BSA also. A little googling should help.
    The BSA webstore "ScoutStuff.org" has several knives listed but I do't know if this helps.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
  3. digitalurbancamo

digitalurbancamo

Nov 28, 2012
    You may want to check some of the preexisting threads on scout knives. Here is a really good example of one.
    http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1083981-BSA-Scout-Knives

Personally, I would think about getting a used USA made BSA knife. You can find them all over for reasonable prices. For the most part you will find that they will be of better quality than what is being made today and they will last forever if taken care of. The other option would be to get a SAK but I like the traditional officially licenced BSA from the USA.

Moreover, another option still would be to get a case jr scout model made in the same year your son was born.

4. Thomas Linton

Thomas Linton

Jun 16, 2003
    "Scout" knives are made by several companies. "Boy Scout" knives are made by CHINA and Case, although the Case knives seem more like collectables for adutls than something for a kid. The CHINA knives are not Ulster USA knock-offs. They are a BSA-owned design with better F&F than Ulster USA averaged, SS blades of some sort, and ??? heat treatment.

Used Boy Scout knives are available every day on ePrey, and those in boy-used fully-functional condition. are not too dear.

5. leghog

leghog

Aug 10, 2013
    BSA knives are also licensed and made in Switzerland by Victorinox, and if one were are looking for a new knife with BSA logo, that's the company I'd recommend. Victorinox makes the Helmsman, Climber, Explorer, Tinker, Pocket Pal, Huntsman, Mechanic, Classic, and Swiss Tool Spirit X all with the BSA Logo. There may well be other Vic SAKS with the BSA logo.

I'd recommend the Victorinox BSA Tinker.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
    Wardo46 likes this.
  6. Alnamvet68

Alnamvet68

Mar 26, 2013
    If you must have the official BSA logo on the knife, then either Case or Victorinox will have what you're looking for. Essentially, a traditional BSA knife simply had a main blade, a bottle cap opener, a can opener, and a leather punch. The concept of Boy Scout knife has morphed into any number of folder styles, to include single blades by Case; that said, if the logo itself is not a requirement, then I recommend what I believe to be the sturdiest of the traditional style BSA/Camper knife, and that would be a alox SAK Pioneer. For a little extra utility, the Pioneer with a saw blade, known as the Farmer.

7. TX_planes

TX_planes Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 30, 2014
    I just purchased (Tuesday) the BSA Huntsman (Swiss Army Knife) from our local Scout Shop. The fit and finish is perfect for this type of knife. The pull is ok for an adult but my 8 year finds some of the tools difficult to open. This will change as he get gets older. This is a large knife so not the best for pocket carry but well suited for camping. My son and I researched knives on and off for a few months prior to making the decision on this model. I had him handled and carry around the house my SAK that was of the same size as the Huntsman just so he would understand the weight. He loves his new knife and it will make it's camping debut this weekend.

I wish you good luck on finding the right knife. Also your son is fortunate that you have the knowledge and willingness to share this experience with him.

8. fx17

fx17

Feb 21, 2014
    I'll be another who will recommend the Victorinox BSA Huntsman. That what I was given as a kid, and still carry. It's also the same thing I bought my 2 oldest boys when they were old enough.

9. GGD

GGD

Sep 20, 2014
    I would also recommend the Huntsman.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2014