Boye Detent Questions

As I understand it, the Boye detent is essentially just a scoop out of a lockback tab that helps prevent accidental disengagement of the lock by the grasping hand. If this is true, would it not essentially be easy enough to grind out a Boye Detent in any normal lockback you own? Am I oversimplifying this? Thanks.

Yup...That's what a Boye dent is. Be carefull in your grinding that you don't get alot of "junk" in/around the pivot area, or you'll end-up with a gritty opening/closing knife...Also make sure that you don't remove so much material so that you won't be able to depress the lock far enough to release it.

I ground a divot on an Endura back before the factory offered the Boye Dent feature.I used a dremel tool with a sanding drum.I found using certain grips with that particular Endura would activate the lock release and I worried about loosing a finger or two.I guess I should have patented the idea?tom.:(

I did this to an old spyderco using a rounded file. Works great. The steel was quite soft and the file cut quite quickly. I have two boye folders and thought it was a good idea. It is too bad the that the boye folders are no longer available.

DT

I think I am the only one that doesn't like it.Out of all the ones I have had with it I like the ones with out better.In fact I have had a couple of Natives that the dent made it very hard to close them one handed.

Frankly, I couldn't notice any difference between a normal lock and a Boye dented one. Never had any locking problems with my spydies, no matter how hard I squeezed the handles :)

Unlocking problems caused by gripping which pushes the lockbar down will be different from user to user, knife to knife, and cutting job to job. If you just use your blade for light tasks, you probably won't notice any problems. However, with hard use or defensive techniques, you may discover inadvertant lockbar activation (usually partial, not complete).

Another member who used to post here said he had a problem with his Endura when he stabbed a tree (simulating stabbing into someone and hitting a rib, for example) and had the knife fold. Nothing broke, but the grip he had during this unusual task apparently released the lock.

I found out my Native had this problem when I swiped at some heavy cardboard with my left (nondominant) hand. A hard hammer grip began releasing the lockbar. For defensive use, I would argue the Native definitely needs the Boye dent. Why hadn't I noticed this before? Because I always used a saber type grip right handed. But when I used my left, I automatically wound up in a "crude" hammer grip. This resulted in the flesh of my left hand pushing the bar.

Any hard or defensive use folders should be carefully and thoroughly tested under "real world" conditions before you find out the hard way that there may be a locking/grip problem. This applies to linerlocks and any other types of lock as well.

Karl

Nobody - your analysis of the Boye detent is right on

Dan Tamashiro - there are some Boye folders still available :)

Back