Boys axe or Fallers axe?

Picked this one (and a couple others) this week. It's basically full size, and the eye is full width (13/16) but is not full length, 2 3/8 or maybe 2 3/16 vs 2 5/8. This boys axe handle looks too small in there, but with a filler piece would work, but then I'm worried the head would be too big for a boys axe handle.

Found the description of a fallers axe on house handles website: "Description: Fallers Axe
Length: 20"
Grade AA: 5.55 Each
Eye Size: 13/16" x 2 7/16"

Wondered if that's what this was inteded to be, but i don't really want a straight handle on it.

Up beside my craftsman boys axe for comparison, and against a CT full size jersey pattern in the vice.

IMG_20141129_094620415_zpsext9yafv.jpg

IMG_20141129_095015389_zpsjimytsjr.jpg

IMG_20141129_094538783_zpsammcwomo.jpg

IMG_20141129_094514829_zpsfz5cpbkx.jpg

Last edited:
House handle's makes a house axe handle that is full size eye in a 19" handle, they also make a 28" haft for a full size eye. These are curved handles. Its not a big thing to remove wood, but to small is to small.
Any marks on that axe? The picture is pretty small, is the poll tappered(narrower towards the end)?

Fixed image sizes.

The poll is heavily mushroomed. Just got through taking care of that. It's a TrueTemper I'm fairly certain, I can barely makeout the line that crosses the "T"s and the word temper, but its very worn out.

The other problem is the 2 stores I know around here that carry better handles were both completely out of curved single bit handles... not just bad options, none! Haven't broken down to big box option yet.

I see now its the Jersey that you are asking about. It looks like maybe the eye has spread from having the poll beat on. I don't know if its just the picture angle but it looks to be the side of the eye that is against the other axe in your photo that is bulged more than the other side. I might be wrong but it sure does look like a bulged eye. If it is I would heat it and squeeze it back together one side at a time in the vice. A wet rag will prevent any harm to your bit. It would be an easy fix.

Fixed image sizes.

The poll is heavily mushroomed. Just got through taking care of that. It's a TrueTemper I'm fairly certain, I can barely makeout the line that crosses the "T"s and the word temper, but its very worn out.

The other problem is the 2 stores I know around here that carry better handles were both completely out of curved single bit handles... not just bad options, none! Haven't broken down to big box option yet.

If you're in Oregon the best handles I've found are at BiMart. They are consistently good grain orientation.

Back