Boys axe or Fallers axe?

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by Irongun324, Nov 29, 2014.

1. Irongun324

Irongun324

Mar 22, 2012
    Picked this one (and a couple others) this week. It's basically full size, and the eye is full width (13/16) but is not full length, 2 3/8 or maybe 2 3/16 vs 2 5/8. This boys axe handle looks too small in there, but with a filler piece would work, but then I'm worried the head would be too big for a boys axe handle.

Found the description of a fallers axe on house handles website: "Description: Fallers Axe
    Length: 20"
    Grade AA: 5.55 Each
    Eye Size: 13/16" x 2 7/16"

Wondered if that's what this was inteded to be, but i don't really want a straight handle on it.

Up beside my craftsman boys axe for comparison, and against a CT full size jersey pattern in the vice.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 29, 2014
  2. garry3

garry3

Sep 11, 2012
    House handle's makes a house axe handle that is full size eye in a 19" handle, they also make a 28" haft for a full size eye. These are curved handles. Its not a big thing to remove wood, but to small is to small.
    Any marks on that axe? The picture is pretty small, is the poll tappered(narrower towards the end)?

3. Irongun324

Irongun324

Mar 22, 2012
    Fixed image sizes.

The poll is heavily mushroomed. Just got through taking care of that. It's a TrueTemper I'm fairly certain, I can barely makeout the line that crosses the "T"s and the word temper, but its very worn out.

The other problem is the 2 stores I know around here that carry better handles were both completely out of curved single bit handles... not just bad options, none! Haven't broken down to big box option yet.

4. garry3

garry3

Sep 11, 2012
    I see now its the Jersey that you are asking about. It looks like maybe the eye has spread from having the poll beat on. I don't know if its just the picture angle but it looks to be the side of the eye that is against the other axe in your photo that is bulged more than the other side. I might be wrong but it sure does look like a bulged eye. If it is I would heat it and squeeze it back together one side at a time in the vice. A wet rag will prevent any harm to your bit. It would be an easy fix.

5. Liberatus1

Liberatus1

Dec 17, 2013
    If you're in Oregon the best handles I've found are at BiMart. They are consistently good grain orientation.

6. Square_peg

Square_peg Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Do you know who makes the BiMart handles?

7. Agent_H

Agent_H

Aug 21, 2013
    +1 on BiMart. Also, I've had ok luck with Coastal Farm and Ranch.

8. Liberatus1

Liberatus1

Dec 17, 2013
    Coastal is House and BiMart is True Value. BiMart seems consistent like the pick them.