Boys Axes! Post em Up!

So, lets see what you have. Here are a couple - (note - I put in this class 2 - 2.5 lb heads on 24-28 inch handles. No house handles with lighter or heavier heads. Thats just me, post up whatever you want and got. More the merrier!)

SAM_1106_zpsae377c9d.jpg

In that one above there is - Brecks Victor, Keen Kutter, True American, Warren Old Faithful, Plumb, #2 Firestone Supremes, BBB, and whatever other ones I cant remember.

Here are a couple close ups of my favorites -

Kelly Perfect -

SAM_1108_zpsac381a75.jpg

Old AmercianAx and Tool Co - this one has a great old old thin handle, phantoms, etc. Wish they still made em like this.

SAM_1107_zps9f693af3.jpg

Lets see some boys axes!

True Temper Kelly Boy's Axe

Belknap Bluegrass Boy's Axe. 28" handle

Sandvik 2 1/4# boy's axe.

Oh man is this thread my forte. I'll have to get decent pictures tomorrow, even if I have the more main stream boys axes (and half the number of yours Operator :rolleyes:).

Heres a quick pic of mine.
34506so.jpg

Wish I could get my paws on a Sandvik, Granfors Bruk, True American, or a Walters.

Last edited:
I used to almost never see these, now I can't seem to swing a cat without hitting one.
L to R, Collins(needs work), Collins, Craftsman, Gamble's Artisan (not really on that handle yet, needs re-tempering), Mann Edge Tool, Ludell (didn't see the "China" till I got it home), Vaughan Supersteel.

4Q0lsJEj

The Vaughan isn't a boy's axe, but at least I spared you the Collins HB on a full sized handle.
So what's a house axe? Is the Vaughan one?

Last edited:
Boys Axe Group shot

Kellys

3 Flint Edge, 1 Champion Kelly Works

Mann & True American

1 Mann, 2 True Americans

Collins Homestead

Norlund

Plumb

3 Plumbs, 2 Plumb Victory s

Last edited:
I've only got a few.

The top one is an old Craftsman (oval stamp), 2-1/4 lbs, 28" haft. The middle one is my Collins, also 2-1/4 & 28". The bottom one's stamp is illegible. It's hatchet sized but with real chubby cheeks. It's 2 lbs. even.

Boys%20axes.JPG

Last edited:
Good looking axes! Hell double trouble ott has more than me. Guess I am slippin! Nice pieces though, keep em coming!

Four more boys axes. The only one I'm keeping is the True American. A real nice one. Also, like the Collins Legitimus.

101_8619.jpg101_8629.jpg

Can anyone identify this axe?

Marks are very hard to read, only USA can be noticeable. On one side of the axe there is a small 5 and on the other side is a diamond shape mark. Head size 193mm x 120mm.

won't let me post an image from my pc.

Sweet lookin axes! I really wish I could find one round here. I'm in the market for another axe project and I think a boys axe is what I'm after! Just don't seem to find anything besides Mexican made Stanleys and Chinese juskers.

-Xander

I hope you don't mind, there are 1 or 2 boys axes, the rest are hudson bays.

DSC00311_zps429d188f.jpg
[/IMG]

GB Scandinavian, Council velvicut hb, Plumb super scout, Hults Bruk Agdor hb, True temper hb, Snow & Nealley, 3 L.L.Bean Snow&Nealleys,Norlund
DSC00312_zps4f53a8e0.jpg
[/IMG]

Peavey Mfg at top, rest are Collins.

Well shoot, ask and ye shall receive! I went to the flea market today, like I do every weekend, and after MONTHS of looking for axes and such today I find a salvageable Lakeside boys axe head in presumably the original leather head cover. Poll is mushroomed a little bit, top of the eye is hammered on a bit but the edge is good and its not going to take much work! I know this is an old Wards house band used in the 50's and earlier, would be interesting to find out who actually made it though.

2012-12-15142420.jpg

2012-12-15142500.jpg

2 1/4 pounds on the dot.

2012-12-15142403.jpg

-Xander

Don't have one. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen one. Oh, but I want one!

One of these days Mike, one of these days....

Can anyone identify this axe?

Marks are very hard to read, only USA can be noticeable. On one side of the axe there is a small 5 and on the other side is a diamond shape mark. Head size 193mm x 120mm.

won't let me post an image from my pc.

Darry, Welcome to BFC!

Please take some time to look around, and possibly start a new topic with your request. But from what you describe it sounds like this may be what you have... WVTW axe

-Xander

It's funny, when I first learned to use an axe I fixed up an old Barco boys axe and loved it, though the steel was kind of cheap and didn't hold an edge that well. Then I started doing a lot of tree falling and gravitated severely toward full size heads, especially around 4 pounds. Haven't cared much for boys axes since, til i found this little head. Only recently got it hung, still need to do a little finishing before wedging. Anyway, I think I like it.
IMG_2481.jpg
IMG_2482.jpg
IMG_2483.jpg

I used to almost never see these, now I can't seem to swing a cat without hitting one.
L to R, Collins(needs work), Collins, Craftsman, Gamble's Artisan (not really on that handle yet, needs re-tempering), Mann Edge Tool, Ludell (didn't see the "China" till I got it home), Vaughan Supersteel.

4Q0lsJEj

The Vaughan isn't a boy's axe, but at least I spared you the Collins HB on a full sized handle.
So what's a house axe? Is the Vaughan one?

Could you tell me what the label says on the yellow handled Collins, or maybe post a close up of the label? I have a similar axe that I am trying to identify, and am scouring the web with my clues. Mine is 27-28 inches, red where yours is yellow, with a partial label on the handle. Thank you very much for any info!

I'll play! All are yard sale finds within the last week. I like them all but I will need to find new homes for some of them

Top is yet to e identified. If it looks familiar please let me know! It is in really nice shape.
The next one is a Collins Legitimus. Awesome head, so-so handle.
Next says NE, then OLD YANK. I love the head shape, the handle is almost good as new. This axe could be put into immediate service with a simple sharpening.
Last is a Plumb Wizard. I got this today, and LOVE the head shape. This may be my keeper boy's axe. The handle is also like someone bought the axe two months ago, used it quite a bit and put it away. In other words, it looks used but in perfect condition. I have never swung it, but I love this axe.

I absolutely love treasure hunting!

I've been trying to ID that beige and red one off and on for a while. I think that I have finally nailed it as a Keen Kutter.

I've been trying to ID that beige and red one off and on for a while. I think that I have finally nailed it as a Keen Kutter.

I can tell you that one that says Old Yank is also highly appealing to me as well - handle is sweet. Good lookin jb.

Back