Braided lanyard how-to...

Alright... I hope I'm not asking a dumb question here, but...

Can someone please direct me to a how-to thread or page that explains how I might go about adding braided paracord lanyards to some of my folders?

I have added looped lanyards to my fixed-blades, but would like some braided ones on some of my folders. Thanks!

The ultimate book you can get on knot tying is Ashley's Book of Knots. You can learn all kinds of knotting and apply whichever ones you like best for your knives.

(For how-tos, trying using the "search" feature of this forum as this question is frequently asked - and answered)

Thanks for the link Mikey. Wow... pricey book ain't she! :eek:

Will keep that in-mind if I have to go that route. Thanks again.

You'll get better answers in the "Maintenance, Tinkering and Embellishment" forum so I'll move it over there for you.

Good luck.

Eric

If you just want to know how to add them to your folder, I have had good luck just cutting the loop, threading it through the lanyard hole of the knife, and welding (melting) the cut ends together with a soldering iron.

:)

The Bladeforums search engine tends to be a little less than useful a lot of the time, but if you go to the advanced search options on Google you can limit the search by domain. If you put bladeforums.com in there, then you can effectively search Bladeforums with Google.

There have been a number of threads with some great links on this subject, but I'm too lazy to go searching for them right now (but I wasn't too lazy to type all of this. . . pretty silly huh? :eek:)

For braiding lanyards, you need to go to some of the knotting pages. I'm a sailor and a knotter, and I collect rigging and rope knives, mostly, so I'll give you a couple.

Digital cowboy http://www.geocities.com/dgtlcwby/ has some pretty work and a few good instructions in his tutorials.

Knot Heads World Wide, http://www.khww.net/news.php has some very fine, nicely illustrated tutorials on a variety of knotty subjects. I believe that you don't even have to be registered as a member to view and use the tutorials. You might check the links there, too, especially for the IGKT-Pacific Americas Branch.

Vince Brennan ties knots for a living, kind of, anyway, but has some nice tutorials on his webpage, http://www.frayedknotarts.com/index.html.

If you need specific knots from the Ashley Book, I have a copy in digital format and might be able to email a page here and there.

Braiding/knotting, whether in leather or cord, is an enjoyable and pretty craft.

i can't even figure out how to do the square stitch from boondoggleman.com and i'm just getting madder trying to figure it out. is it supposed to be this hard?

i can't even figure out how to do the square stitch from boondoggleman.com and i'm just getting madder trying to figure it out. is it supposed to be this hard?

That "stitch" is also known as a square crown sennit or just a square sennit. I tried a google search but after a quick scan I didn't see anything better than the instructions at boondoggleman.com. I learned it from The Handbook Of Knots by Des Pawson. It's a great book, and while it's probably not as comprehensive as Ashley's Book Of Knots it's only a $16.95 cover price instead of $80.

The easiest way to learn is to ask your kids. My daughters taught me the square stitch, then the variations with 6 and 8 strands.

Then you just mix and match different knots and stuff.

Check out TAD Gear for their stainless steel spring clips and they just added a titanium one too. I usually add one or two to my lanyards so other things can easily be attached.

Ric

stormdrane to the rescue.
i actually found a video on his site just a few hours ago, before i read pddmslf's post. i was putting an extra loop in there or something and it wasn't working for me. now i've got it, at least for the square fobs.

Back