1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Branching out

Discussion in 'Sheaths & Such' started by mt_hangglider, Aug 12, 2016.

1. mt_hangglider

mt_hangglider

Jan 19, 2009
    Thought I'd share a couple new projects with you guys this morning. Lately, I've really been thinking that I need to go from just tooling silhouettes to tooling with detail. So, last weekend, I got ambitious and made these two items for a couple of close friends who just moved away to Arizona (hence the desert / lizard content). My first two carved / tooled pieces with detail. From the package tracking, looks like they'll be receiving them today. Looking forward to doing more and refining my techniques! Have a great weekend guys!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh and just so there is something knife sheath related to the post... made this pancake sheath a couple weekends back. Been on a real Hippo kick lately :D

[​IMG]

2. Gafishing

Gafishing

Aug 7, 2016
    Those are beautiful
    I just got into sheath leather making for my tools and knives. ( I currently suck .. A lot)
    But I dream of one day making stuff like you sir.
    Thanks for the pictures

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. John A. Larsen

John A. Larsen

Jan 15, 2001
    Great job on all these! John

4. popedandy

popedandy Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Very nice!

5. bflying

bflying Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 4, 2014
    Wow! Your quality and refinement is really advancing quickly. I'm a lot slower and keeping my leather work on the occasional hobby level. My problem with detail is hand shaking and coordination as I age. Absolutely love the work shown above. I've actually thought about making a leather pocket dump tray (oops, I mean Valet Tray [emoji41]). Just got that bug in my head a few weeks ago. I also love the southwest themes. We vacation often in southern Utah right on the Utah/Arizona/Nevada border. Your designs would fit right in with our decor. I may even borrow one of them. ;)

Are you still hand stitching or using a machine? The stitch work shown is absolutely perfect. Keep showing your work.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2016
  6. Nic.

Nic.

Dec 8, 2014
    I tried to get into leather carving, and found I suck at it! Amazing work, I really really love the Lizzard. That's even cooler than the Nordic tree you did!

7. rayban

rayban

Apr 14, 2007
    Love the tray...great idea for keeping my guitar picks all in one place...

8. Ebbtide

Ebbtide

Aug 20, 1999
    Great work. Really like the lizard... that's a fine piece of art.

9. bflying

bflying Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 4, 2014
    I forgot to ask, is the tray a two piece with finished back? Or did you just leave it rough flesh?

•••••••••••••••

Sent from my mind....using Tap-a-Thought. (tm)

10. Horsewright

Horsewright KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 4, 2011
    Just awesome work. Very nice.

11. claude scott

claude scott making custom sheaths Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 28, 2011
    Nice work doing good stuff

12. mt_hangglider

mt_hangglider

Jan 19, 2009
    Thank you for the kind words! Keep at it! You learn things as you go and get better with each piece. I'm about a year and a half into leather right now.

Thank you John!

Thanks!

Thank you sir, you're too kind :) I'm using a Cobra Class 4 sewing machine. Absolutely love that thing!

Thank you!

Thanks!

Thanks!

I laminated two pieces so they are smooth / finished. The top tooled part is 7/8 oz and the bottom is 3/4 oz (although it's a thin 3/4, could easily be 2/3).

Thank you Dave! Always appreciate the kind words and encouragement!

Thanks!

I actually did another valet tray this weekend by request for my Mom :). She wanted a sunflower so that's what she got. First time using any colored dyes aside from brown and black. Turned out pretty nice.

[​IMG]

13. Ebbtide

Ebbtide

Aug 20, 1999
    And the hits just keep on coming :D

14. Eric@DLT

[email protected]

Mar 30, 2015
    Turned out pretty nice? I think that's an understatement! That looks fantastic. The level of depth you see really makes the leaves and pedals pop.

15. mt_hangglider

mt_hangglider

Jan 19, 2009
    Thank you :)

16. mt_hangglider

mt_hangglider

Jan 19, 2009
    Thank you Eric, I really appreciate the kind words!

17. kenjal

kenjal

Mar 17, 2013
    You have got some talent going there. Awesome craftwork. Thank you for showing us.

18. Salolan

Salolan

Feb 27, 2013
    Gorgeous work!

Chris