Brand new Calypso Jr. FRN

Toolin

BANNED
I just picked up an FRN Calypso Jr. plain edge today at my local Remington store. This knife has become my fav. Spyderco beating out my FRN Delica and SS Endura. It is almost the same size as the Delica, so I will compare the two.

First the blade. There is no contest who wins this one. The Calypso's VG-10 blade carves thru printer paper by just pushing down on it. I have to slice thru with the Delica's ATS-55 blade. The tip of the Calypso is as sharp as the edge which is not the case on the Delica. Flat ground is soooo much better then hollow ground. It would be nice if the Calypso had a 3 inch blade like the Delica.

Handle. Both are FRN but the Calypso is "sticker". The handle of the Calypso fits your hand however you hold it, but the Delica has a longer handle making it more stable. The Calypso feels lighter even though they are both the same weight. The walls of the handle are thicker on the Calypso then the Delica.

Overall build. The Calypso looses some points here, although it still has Spyderco's quality. There is alot of blade play when the Calypso is closed. The delica has a bit, but its 2 1/2 years old. The Spydie hole seems smaller on the Calypso. Maybe it is because the Delica's hole is raised above the blade. The Delica opens better. The Calypso's clip is better though, being a small three screw system instead of the Delicas one large Screw. It does not move around at all, while the Delica's moves back and forth slightly. Also the Calypso feels sturdier then the Delica.

I am soooo happy I bought this knife. With a few tiny changes this knife could be perfect. Thank you so much Spyderco.

I think you made a good choice on buying that knife. -- Good steel, good size, and definetly a good Company!!

Jeff

Back