Brands to stay away from

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, 100% clownshoes.

As a wise man said even a broken clock is right twice a day. That KC guy feels more like a broken digital clock just flashing 12:00 constantly.

Everything I’ve read and heard from Mr. Glessner is that Spyderco intends to produce the same high quality knives regardless of the location (USA, China, Taiwan, Japan, Italy). There is a good Blade Show 2021 interview out there about this and their partnership with their China partner. I too try to stay away from China made where possible, but Mr Glessner certainly is upfront with this for Spyderco and I give him respect for that.
There is a difference in quality of materials and quality of workmanship. I would still debate how much brands, even those as respectable as Spyderco, truly mean such remarks when it comes to quality of workmanship. The made in China are priced so much less than any American, Japan, or Taiwan made knife even with the materials not being of the same quality as those two the price difference is still very significant.

Yeah knifecritiques is the account that I quoted. He is quite insightful about the current state of the community.

I think Knife Critiques was done once before except they called it Knife Gripes with Nick Shabazz.

Seriously folks, go out and use your knives and develop your own opinion and quit flocking to the Gram/Tube Channel of the latest Influencer.

Pay your own bills, not someone else’s. And this comes from an original ShabazzFan!

I‘ve noticed KC uses this term a lot, not following. 😂
98945a0a-7859-453e-b0d2-090ae4e51b99.png

I think Knife Critiques was done once before except they called it Knife Gripes with Nick Shabazz.

Seriously folks, go out and use your knives and develop your own opinion and quit flocking to the Gram/Tube Channel of the latest Influencer.

Pay your own bills, not someone else’s. And this comes from an original ShabazzFan!

The OG was Knife Haterz (sp?).

There is a difference in quality of materials and quality of workmanship. I would still debate how much brands, even those as respectable as Spyderco, truly mean such remarks when it comes to quality of workmanship. The made in China are priced so much less than any American, Japan, or Taiwan made knife even with the materials not being of the same quality as those two the price difference is still very significant.
I agree with this, but I’m just relaying the Spyderco position I saw in the interview.

Spyderco is really tough for me because their Colorado and Japan made knives have always been among my top folders. I’ve had a Delcia for well over 20 years and still might be my most used pocket knife. I really think the Glessners are stand up guys and industry leaders. However, I am personally turned off by their focus on their mainland China production. I’m not sure if that puts them in the “brand to avoid” category, but it does put them in a category where I’m prioritizing other brands.

I agree with this, but I’m just relaying the Spyderco position I saw in the interview.

Spyderco is really tough for me because their Colorado and Japan made knives have always been among my top folders. I’ve had a Delcia for well over 20 years and still might be my most used pocket knife. I really think the Glessners are stand up guys and industry leaders. However, I am personally turned off by their focus on their mainland China production. I’m not sure if that puts them in the “brand to avoid” category, but it does put them in a category where I’m prioritizing other brands.
I’ve owned Chinese made Spyderco, WE, Kizer, Benchmade Redbox, and Artisan products. Quality definitely has more to do with the companies standards than the country the item was produced in.

I feel similar sometimes. Then again, I have a soft spot for Taiwan, and feel anything we can do to help them, we should. So - I do not mind new Taichung Spydercos at all :)

I’ve owned Chinese made Spyderco, WE, Kizer, Benchmade Redbox, and Artisan products. Quality definitely has more to do with the companies standards than the country the item was produced in.
My experience with their mainland China made knives is the Tenacious which is a low price offerings made of 8Cr13MoV. That’s a $45 knife compared to a $35 RAT 1 in D2 made in Taiwan.
I feel similar sometimes. Then again, I have a soft spot for Taiwan, and feel anything we can do to help them, we should. So - I do not mind new Taichung Spydercos at all :)
I agree re: Taiwan was well.

Did you know that Schrade was killed when they starting importing knives from China, and putting rheir name on them?

$343.00 for a knife that used to run around $220.00 using older knife steel and materials technology with fit and finish issues. Just not worth it, even if it is made in the USA. That's my my reason for staying away from a certain knife maker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back