1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Breaking in your EDC

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by SpookStrickland, Jun 26, 2014.

1. SpookStrickland

SpookStrickland

Sep 27, 2012
    Well it happened. I dropped my Swiss Champion and put a pretty good nick in the scales. Nothing to bad but it had otherwise been perfect. Now I don't have worry scratching it and just use it. I always go through this with my edc of being over protective of it until it gets it's first ding or scratch then it's a little easier to just use it.

2. murfdog67

murfdog67

Jun 11, 2014
    I decided I will now cut myself with every new blade I receive in a place I choose, wipe the blood on her, and satisfy her thirst. Every time I get a new blade 🔪 I don't damage her, she damages me. So I thought if I give her what she wants right off the bat, I could resolve my sloppy cut care, super glue! Lol

3. LittlesumoAus

LittlesumoAus

Aug 10, 2013
    Yeh I think this is kinda true for all new toys - baby it for a while and then slowly use it for its intended purpose. Dropping it just helps speed up this process some what. Now you are free to enjoy it I say!

4. craytab

craytab Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2012
    This is a terrible title for a thread. Not family friendly at all. This not whine and cheese.

5. Bastid

Bastid Goat herding fool and resident vermin breeder. Staff Member Super Mod

Feb 27, 2001
    Not the thread title to be used in General. Please use some common sense net time. Title was edited.

6. Czechmate

Czechmate

Feb 24, 2011
    I'm confused as to why this got stickied... :confused:

7. simioh

simioh

Jan 12, 2012
    And I'm also wondering what the original thread title was! :D

8. Czechmate

Czechmate

Feb 24, 2011
    I'm thinking something along the lines of fudging up your EDC.

9. EDCanAdamas

EDCanAdamas

Sep 8, 2013
    I think its easier to actually use a knife after the first few dents/scratches (this also holds true with cars). Generally once I sharpen a knife, and the blade does not have that factory edge anymore, I consider it ready to be used as a tool rather than saved as a collector's item.

10. SpookStrickland

SpookStrickland

Sep 27, 2012
    Sorry about the title. my Taste-o-Meter is off sometimes. I'm always amazed at the hard drops my Swiss Knives take and don't crack! The funny thing is I never seem to drop them the same way twice. I always think well that won't happen again and it doesn't I seem to find a new way to bugger it up LOL.

11. goodeyesniper

goodeyesniper

Aug 31, 2009
    I don't have that issue. I never think out babying a knife just because it is new. They are all bought to be users. I do often go use it hard right away, but not in an effort to get it looking used, just to see how I like using it hard, however this does usually end up marring it in some way.

12. singularity35

singularity35

Mar 1, 2010
    I'm usually really excited to use a new knife when I get it. I usually also get the first scratches when I sharpen them which is what I always do before pocketing a new knife.

13. AntDog

AntDog Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 3, 2001
    Just walk out of the store with it, drop it and kick it along to the car. Put it in your pocket.... All broke in !

14. RBid

RBid

Apr 6, 2014
    When I realized I was babying them, I got in the habit of putting new blades to work on day 1 to get over the first ding fear.