Bret Dowell Walnut Trapper

Jsega51

Gold Member
I’ve been talking with Bret for a bit about a 4.25” trapper with the clip and semi-skinner blade combo and he did a stellar job on making a knockout. The action is great and the fit is as tight and right as it gets. No gaps, no issues, sharp as hell, and I’m really happy with the size of it.

The blades and springs are acid etched A2, fittings and liners are stainless, and the scales are from a block of natural Claro walnut that I’ve been hanging onto for a handful of years. I love the contrast this created between the materials! Bret left the scales with a buffed finish and I gave them a couple coats of tung oil finish to seal them up and to pop the color and grain up a few notches.

The last couple of knives that Bret has made for me contained some special detail that would make it just a little bit more unique from all the others and at the last minute I suggested, and he agreed, that a double shield (one for each side) would really set it apart, yet do it subtly. He hadn’t done it prior to this and it turned out so well that most people don’t even notice until they’re told to look for it, so there’s your heads up!

qu1GKgJ.jpg

otKPdBi.jpg

VOZgLeI.jpg

JiX5sgn.jpg

nOCJdWX.jpg

So9aM3z.jpg

sILCYeo.jpg

I really love the brown walnut scales with the acid etched blade. I’ve been looking at it trying to figure out why I like it so much cause I’m not really into folders too much. But I think that’s it. Great looking piece

Nice one Jake, love the walnut. I have a couple of Bret’s earliest knives. He has worked his way into the upper tier of makers.

I really love the brown walnut scales with the acid etched blade. I’ve been looking at it trying to figure out why I like it so much cause I’m not really into folders too much. But I think that’s it. Great looking piece

I love good looking classic hunting knives and I love the look of a good old used shotgun. That’s what I was going for with the looks on this one, a whole lot of traditional.

Back