Brian Nadeau Knives inbound

Kohai999

Second Degree Cutter
Was introduced to Brian Nadeau's work on Thursday night in the Pit Smoking Section by retired New York City firefighter Keith Kaiser this year at the Blade Show. We have been buddies since attending at an Ashokan event around 2000. He is missing the thumb on his left hand.....he crushed/amputated it doing a restoration on a barber's chair....you know that lever that drops the back....gives me the willy's just thinking about it.....Mace Vitale made him a teeny hook that slips on....those New England guys are WHACKY!!!

Anyway, Keith tells me about Brian, and says he is a new guy, and making a smoking knife, and I saw some examples, and was impressed, but the light was crap and I got called away to smoke a cigar with another buddy, and have kind of a whiskey induced buzz on.....so...

I was on the judging panel for the Blade Show knife competition and Brian's work was entered, and in the good(enough) lighting, and having the ability to play with all of these knives without a time restraint and no distractions, I was blown away, and short story is.....he won BOTH Best New Maker and Best Tactical knife.....and frankly, he deserved both awards hands down....Notice the spot on blade-to-handle ratio and the fact that these are blades meant for cutting and slicing(they are sharp like razors), not pointless folding sharpened(barely) prybars.

Had the opportunity to speak with him on Saturday night and request some knives, and he assured me that he would get to it when he could, and these are inbound. I know how they feel already because I handled very similar models at Blade and also at The Gathering in Las Vegas this year.

A lot of times, makers get hyped up because of the personality aspect, and people don't really pay attention to their ergonomics, function, edge geometry or creativity/originality....Brian has all of this down, frighteningly solid for such a new maker.

HE does a screwless clip with a milled pocket on the inside of the knife that is completely creative out-of-the box execution.

The Torx screws are as big as practical, which brings a unique visual and helps cut down on the possibility of slot strippage.

I love the stripes in the blade on the "grey turd" as I have never seen this before. The swedge on the back is understated and adds visual appeal and contributes to flow.... and

LOVE the clip point with the texturing of the handle on the other one as it has a truly sculpted and three dimensional depth to it..it's hard to tell from the photo, but there is some very fine texturing in the blue portion....lotta thought and skills working in his mind. He is a machinist, a craftsman and a very talented artist.

The price he is charging is extremely reasonable and he is thusly backed up, as demand far outweighs his production ability. He is a splendidly humble, soft-spoken and straightforward person. He was a joy to speak with and these knives will hold a place in my permanent collection alongside new makers(at the time) Chuck Gedraitis, Mike Quesenberry, Mike Ruth, Nick Wheeler and John Young.

Thanks again, Brian....there is nothing but the best coming your way in the world of knives.....and for those of you that care, I would put these up against ANY folder maker, art knife or otherwise, and these will hold their own.
2ezrcxs.jpg

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

Last edited:
Yup, I often bump into Brian when I pop over to Aldo's shop. Brian is everything you say, bright, talented and humble. Best of luck to him.

Nice folders. Thanks for posting such a detailed review of knives and maker. Always enjoy reading about new, up and coming makers.

Over two years ago, Aldo dragged his ass to my studio at the ECCKS with a karambit he'd built. Aldo was so excited for him, HE footed the bill. Brian was still just experimenting and 'wasn't ready' for prime time. You can see how his standards of F&F are crazy.

orig.jpg

By the next year he'd made a folder:

orig.jpg

By now he's added color and gotten some real traction. Note the buried clip:

orig.jpg

STeven: I'm not surprised you'd pick up on him. I was dutifully impressed, too.

Coop

STeven: I'm not surprised you'd pick up on him. I was dutifully impressed, too.
Coop

If I hadn't had the opportunity to examine the work so carefully, something else might have continued to distract me....you know from firsthand experience what a shock to the brain Blade is....not enough minutes in the day.

That is why you are best undisturbed when you are working there....it's always a struggle to maintain focus.

He is the most impressive new maker that I have personally seen in two years.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

Nice!!! Brian's work has that "know the maker even when seeing the knife from across a show floor" quality. I like the looks of the knives in this thread. With the strong endorsement of both STeven and Coop they have to be wicked.

There is nothing that immediately jumps out at me about the shape/form of each of these but I find myself strangely drawn to the blades in particular. I need to spend some time with these pics and figure it out.

Last edited:
Nice, clean and distinctive work. What is it in particular that you like about the blade-to-handle ratio on these?

Thanks for your take, STeven.

Nice, clean and distinctive work. What is it in particular that you like about the blade-to-handle ratio on these?

Thanks for your take, STeven.

Hi Will.....thanks for commenting!

To me, a folding knife should have as much blade as possible in the handle.

There is an art to working out the mechanics...it is time consuming, and requires skill and knowledge to do it RIGHT. Butch Vallotton was the first that I knew to squeeze extra blade into a folder, then Bill McHenry, and after that Matt Diskin. Matt is superb at it, he should give classes on how to accomplish it.

The Nadeau knives have a 4" blade in a 5" handle....this is, on average what I hope for from a folder maker, if they can get another 1/16" to 1/8" of blade in there, more is the better....this is also allowing for clearance at the tip, sucks to reach into your pocket for a knife and catch the tip on a finger....blood everywhere(ask me how I know!).

Have gone on record in magazines as stating that a maker who does not skillfully jam as much blade into a folding knife as possible is either lazy or incompetent, and stand by that, will until I die.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

Thank you, STeven. I agree with you in principal. To me, those two blades didn't appear to be particularly long in relation to their handles, so I wondered if you were commenting on something I didn't understand or couldn't see (a common enough error on my part in either case :)).

He is obviously doing quite advanced work for his level of experience--thanks for bringing him to our attention.

Good knives, if he would do a full height grind they would be great.

I don't think that a full height grind on a tactical folding knife is a necessity......there is SOME prying to be expected of a tactical knife....that was the category Brian entered into in Blade, and if anything, depending upon the size of the wheel and how the blade is ground(deep hollow, flat, convex) a full height grind might be completely the wrong approach for a blade like this.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

FWIW, here is another variant of the Typhoon which Brian recently made as he explores different possibilities within the basic design . . .

nwzzb5.jpg

1035yft.jpg

And a link to a video . . .

[video]http://scontent-b.cdninstagram.com/hphotos-xpa1/t50.2886-16/10812178_1550421828525516_1159238226_n.mp4[/video]

Attachments

• Typhoon- Open - Small.jpg
    Typhoon- Open - Small.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
FWIW, here is another variant of the Typhoon which Brian recently made as he explores different possibilities within the basic design . . .

That is pretty danged cool, Ken.....it isn't what I wanted for my representations of Brian's work, but it does show how creative and talented he is very well.

Thanks for posting!

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

Brian's knives compete a VERY competitive segment of the knife market. Better bring some game if you're going to play in this space.

Hist Typhoon has what it takes to compete and then some. It offers a lot of value. I spent some time comparing it to one of my Gold Standards for this type of knife: my Boguszewski Cobra flipper. It make a very favorable comparison. For a guy who has only been at this for such a short period, it is impressive.

I hope that he continues to push himself to develop new models with new features and ideas. And if he does that I will be very interested to see what he comes up with in the future.

Knives arrived today, I am extremely pleased.

Brian's fit and finish have gotten even better in less than six months......and the f&f was superb to begin with.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

Awesome. I will try to handle one someday. I liked your comment about prybars. Are you saying these knives aren't tank busters!?! That won't fly with some dudes.

He really has some impressive knives that is for sure. Great writeup and hopefully he continues to provide the knife community with great knives for many years to come.

As a matter of fact, I too ordered one recently from Brian and am expecting it in the next few days. It is going to be a beauty so I cant wait. He does such an awesome Royal Blue on knives, that i want to get it on so many different variates of his knives.

Please post up pics and reviews when you get yours. Also, I hope he starts making the Viper again. that looks like one sweet knife that I would love to own as well as a few more Typhoons.

Back