Bring out your SHBM! Bring out your SHBM!

Cobalt

Gold Member
Right—posted to indicate more recent use of smooth bolts. I’d love to see them as options more often.

BTW, don’t you consider the ASHBM a variety of SHBM?;)

No I don't. The ASHBM is a modern improvement over the SHBM, specifically in the handle area and longer, thicker blade. The original SHBM had many things that set it apart from everything that came afterwards.

Cobalt

Gold Member
OTOH, Slotted fasteners <Corbies> not available anymore it seems.

Yes, the specific style of fastener that Busse used in the beginning is very hard to source. And I think the tubes are actually more secure. Slotted bolt fasteners are nice though for ease of handle removal.

Makes me wonder why they called it the Anniversary Straight Handled Battle Mistress.:D

It’s all good, brother.:thumbsup:

Cobalt

Gold Member
Makes me wonder why they called it the Anniversary Straight Handled Battle Mistress.:D

Because the profile looks the same? But I don't mind the acronym ASHBM because it sets it apart from SHBM.

The new BME has more in common with the old BME than the ASHBM does with the old SHBM.

PeteyTwoPointOne

Platinum Member
Yes, the specific style of fastener that Busse used in the beginning is very hard to source. And I think the tubes are actually more secure. Slotted bolt fasteners are nice though for ease of handle removal.

Are the slotted fasteners loctited on?

I tried my best, largest German slotted screwdriver and applied my best German torque and couldn't budge mine. I considered surrender the better part of valor rather than booger up the head.

I never got around to spot heating with my soldering iron.

Cobalt

Gold Member
Are the slotted fasteners loctited on?

I tried my best, largest German slotted screwdriver and applied my best German torque and couldn't budge mine. I considered surrender the better part of valor rather than booger up the head.

I never got around to spot heating with my soldering iron.

Every single slotted bolt I have tried to remove I have been successful with though some were a huge pain. I do remember people saying they were loctited but I have never seen evidence of that in any of mine. If you have a precise sized screw driver it will work. If it is to thin it will not. It needs to fill the slot perfectly.

Cobalt

Gold Member
You’re definitely a purist, Cobalt—nothing wrong with that.:thumbsup:

lol, that is probably true. But when you consider that except at the very end of the SHBM production, every blade was hand ground, which is why no two are the same thickness until you get to the angled groove micarta versions. You could tell that those were ground on a machine or at least by someone who had not been drinking like Jerry ;) The older ones I measured from 0.245 to 0.31 and almost every digit in between. Also, I Rc tested many of them and they were all consistently between 60 and 61. 2 points higher than modern INFI.

If Jerry would make an ASHBM out of 0.27" thick stock and an Rc of 61, I would buy 5.

PeteyTwoPointOne

Platinum Member
My current stable of Mistresses, for scientifical comparison purposes ;):p...the SHBM's are wonderful as long as I'm not chopping when I'm overtired, when I get sloppy I get my pinky pinched.

For everyday usage I'll take that stripped BM-e with asymmetric edge...whatever magic Jerry worked with that batch of INFI-- he nailed it! Hands down the easiest big blade to sharpen, beat hell out of, and maintain I've ever owned!!! :D

hdPW76G.jpg

back on the topic of the thread:
MvskveJ.jpg

I9STNZN.jpg

QfRNrfK.jpg

gk4ever2

Gold Member

Cobalt

Gold Member
My current stable of Mistresses, for scientifical comparison purposes ;):p...the SHBM's are wonderful as long as I'm not chopping when I'm overtired, when I get sloppy I get my pinky pinched.

For everyday usage I'll take that stripped BM-e with asymmetric edge...whatever magic Jerry worked with that batch of INFI-- he nailed it! Hands down the easiest big blade to sharpen, beat hell out of, and maintain I've ever owned!!! :D

hdPW76G.jpg

back on the topic of the thread:
MvskveJ.jpg

I9STNZN.jpg

QfRNrfK.jpg

awesome collection. I love the BME. I think the reason it has never been in favor is because it is the ugliest of all BM's. Looks matter. But I love the one I have left.

PeteyTwoPointOne

Platinum Member
Had a BM-E. Unhappy with the handle in use. Sold it.

The stair-stepped handle/tang thing on the e-series is something that never made sense to me :confused: ...

OTOH, there's gotta be a good reason for it that I'm just not seeing, but what do I know? I don't make em I just spend my childrens' inheritance on em! :p

That's why every ergo SH & BM I own has been ground flush. It makes a YUUUUGGEE difference to me...You should try one that's been ground flush-- it'll change your LIFE!

Cobalt

Gold Member
Figured take a group shot of my SHBM collection. The Steel Heart on the left was represented as being one of the first ones made in INFI. No way of knowing for sure but a cool blade no matter what the steel.

I would say that by the time the SHSHII got to the partially grooved handles like yours, it would be safe to say they were INFI. Smooth handles it's a tossup Very nice collection. You basically have the twin LE to Skunk.

360joules

Gold Member

Tube fasteners bend too easily. The scales on many of my knives have shifted when batonned or thrown. Solid or slotted bolts fix that for me.

I just wish that there was a way to get both machined scales and solid pins. :D

Cobalt

Gold Member
Tube fasteners bend too easily. The scales on many of my knives have shifted when batonned or thrown. Solid or slotted bolts fix that for me.

I just wish that there was a way to get both machined scales and solid pins. :D

I have seen that with others as well. I think the steel tubes are fine, but brass tubes will definitely be softer. Do you remember if you had that issue with steel tubes?

360joules

Gold Member
I have seen that with others as well. I think the steel tubes are fine, but brass tubes will definitely be softer. Do you remember if you had that issue with steel tubes?

I have. All of my fusion handled knives were steel tubes. I haven't owned anything with brass in a while.

Cobalt

Gold Member
I have. All of my fusion handled knives were steel tubes. I haven't owned anything with brass in a while.
Where they G10 or micarta or both?

I remember there being a thread about this, but I also remember Jerry saying that the tubes can take massive pressure. But I have to say that I have thrown a few of my SHBM's (slotted bolt) thousands of times with no ill effect. But I also remember throwing my tube SHBM with no ill effect either.