Photos Broad Axe Identification

I was given this broad axe as a gift, and I have been struggling to find any information on the brand/history of it on the forum (or the internet in general). It has obviously been treated fairly poorly, but cleaned up nice and will look great with a fresh handle. There is what I believe to be a logo on the side, but I cannot find any details on this logo. There are brands that uses the same general symbols, but in a different patter, so I wonder if this is just a cheap axe someone tried to make look like a more recognized brand name. I would love any input that someone can provide on this gems history.

Thank you ahead of time!
IMG_0310.JPG

IMG_0312.JPG

Without being 100% certain,i'd say that it's one of many regional German patterns,maybe one tending East somewhat...
It appears to be a decent grade factory tool from mid-20th century plus/minus.
Judging how worn the blade is i'd say that it was very functional,and did a lot of just what it was meant to do.
The dendritic decoration on it is very traditional for carpentry tools of those regions beginning in Early Middle ages and until now,it's not a manufacturer's or owner's logo but rather a "good luck" charm of a sort.
Nice tool altogether,if a bit worn...

Hercules.jpg

Here's a similar type of eye/poll...
(no idea of maker,the stamp reads "hercules").
So yep,look in the general direction of Germany and Austria...

And the current,modern version:https://www.amazon.com/Muller-Broad-Right-Bevel-Austria/dp/B07PSHLJCM

Yours is obviously older,made with typical for earlier times higher standards of aesthetic...Expanded poll;nicer lines all around...

Last edited:
This looks like a legitimate example of the many Balkan axes

Square_peg,i beg to differ on that.

Thanks for that link above(cool thread,tons of info from Ipt...),and very generally the outline of axes looks very similar(they're closely related i've no doubt,though lack historical/political/cultural knowledge to say...).
But, look at the eye on this and those Balkan jobs:This one is very carefully planned and forged(one can almost say anal-retentive:).It is a prototypical German D-eye,with a differentiated thickness of cheeks and poll,not an easy design to forge.
It's a conventional,"hour-glass" shape i believe...in any case it's narrow.

Balkan axes have an inverse-taper,compression eye,of rather ample,rounded section(for poorman's choice in hardwoods,unseasoned and readily available in the field).
It's often of uniform thickness all around,those are poll-less tools,and often double-bevelled,being a universal all-around axe.

Look at this precise Germanic very modernly narrow D-eye on this one...Sharply faceted,with that sexy flare at poll...and strict single-bevel(worn pretty severely too)...

I dunno,maybe i'm tripping out on forging particulars overmuch...But i do very much doubt that it's either a rural Southern Europe tool,or that anyone would forge anything like that as a counterfeit...Way too much work and skill involved...

The shape of the back end is distinctive enough to be able to identify it with some confidence. I know it from a number of examples to include one axe of mine from the town of /Lindenburg. (Third axe down from top in photo). The decorative stampings, ( ok, brand - I kind of like that, just missing the old™️) are non-conventional but likely indicative of an Austrian origin. I think mid twentieth cent. is pushing the boundaries of a time frame but ok, I have no proof to contradict it.
p6241580.jpg

Ernest,your photo won't show...:(
You better change browsers to firefox where the photo shows up on its own, from safari it's just a click away. Better yet, I am now accessing this forum through search engine startpage.com on anonymous view and have reduced my exposure to advertisements significantly not to mention all that other stuff. I highly recommend it:thumbsup:.

By type, you mean back end or front end?

Last edited:
Wow, thanks Guys! The background of a tool makes them so much cooler in my book. Give me a tool with a history any day over something new and shiny.

Forgive my ignorance, but when you say that it is most likely German/Eastern European, do you mean that they were most likely manufactured there and then sold into the US, or that it was something sold/used there and then perhaps brought over?

To speak Very broadly i'd say that such tools were produced in Europe,and pretty much stayed there...

A friend who's an archaeologist for the state of Tennessee tells me that the prevailing opinion is that most regional tools from Europe didn't survive long in US,immigrants rapidly got tooled up with locally modified gear....
That particularly applies to hewing tools,they almost always rapidly adopted American style broadaxes,in favor of all the goosewings et c. that many Did bring with...

The photo not being so easily accessible any more is likely related to limits I've put recently on my wordpress sites. This is unfortunate in particular if it is persistent and widespread. It'll take looking into by me.

p6241580.jpg

It seems to be the case and will now have wide ranging implications for me here at the forum.
A friend who's an archaeologist for the state of Tennessee tells me that the prevailing opinion is that most regional tools from Europe didn't survive long in US,immigrants rapidly got tooled up with locally modified gear....
That particularly applies to hewing tools,they almost always rapidly adopted American style broadaxes,in favor of all the goosewings et c. that many Did bring with...
Seems sensible if the nature of the work was different the tools used for the work would want to change as well. Many identifiable variables led to a short-lived and limited use and development of timber framing in N.A. well, let me put it this way, heavy timber framed construction in North America and Europe are two different categories really, difficult to draw many parallels. But it is likely the particular axe in question has ended up where it is more as a curiosity than working tool. The question is what do you intend making of it justony?

The photo not being so easily accessible any more is likely related to limits I've put recently on my wordpress sites. This is unfortunate in particular if it is persistent and widespread. It'll take looking into by me.

p6241580.jpg

It seems to be the case and will now have wide ranging implications for me here at the forum...

Ernest, I frequent your Wordpress and wondered, as the images are neither showing there via application nor through browser interface.

Ernest, I frequent your Wordpress and wondered, as the images are neither showing there via application nor through browser interface.
Yes, it is the source. The hosters giveth and the hosters taketh away. The internet in all its dynamic and fluid wonder. I could go on and on and on.

Back