broken benchmade.

I got a Benchmade 525 for my birthday in march of last year, the first omega spring broke in june and the second one soon after. i sent it in to Benchmade and they did a good job, sharpened the blade, replaced the sclales, springs, clip. and i was happy. so just now one of the springs broke again!!:mad: does anybody else have this problem?? i sent them an email asking if they will send me some more springs, will they do that??

They won't send parts. Are you flicking the knife often or something? That shouldn't be a frequent wear problem

Ive been edc a benchmade 705 for 2 years and ive pretty much beat on this knife. I flick it open multiple times a day and have never had any issues. I have never broken an omega spring either. I think this just sounds like bad luck. I hope things go better for you next time around.

okay, i went to hobbytown usa and got some .025 music wire and bent my own omega spring. problem solved.

Sounds like a good idea. I believe I'll hit the local hobby shop and see what I can find!

I wouldn't think it would. I used to double tap my Ares, pull back the bar, flick it open, closed, and open again before releasing the bar. Did that hundreds of times, no breakage. Hadn't broken a spring on 7 axis lock knives, actually. 3 broken springs is really bad luck.

I've carried an axis lock most days since they were introduced and never had a problem with the springs.

One user on Knifeforums reported that the baseline marking compound ate his axis springs pretty quickly so there are some compounds that aren't good for the springs. Do you work around any caustics with the knife. He was opening bags of this stuff with his griptilian.

benchmade just emailed me.
"Im sorry to say we are unable to send out internal parts. You would have to send it into us for repair. Our current turnaround time is 25-30 business days. "

Relatively speaking the Axis lock is still very young and while it has all the makings of a fine lock when it works, I've been saying for some time now that the jury is still out on the longevity of those tiny diameter springs used in the design.

It will be a curious thing to watch to see just how well these are holding out once the knives get to be ten and twelve year old users or even older.

Last time I asked BM to ship springs the answer was a flat out no. They void the warranty if you or anyone but the techs there in Oregon take the knives apart. So you'd be voiding your own warranty to even open it up to replace the spring.

Third time is a charm. After that I'd ask for a new knife altogether. It may be that you have a sharp area under the handle scale scarring the springs with each action until they finally shear. But of course since you can't take it apart to find that out it leaves you wondering when you'll have to pay them to look at it again.

STR

attachment.php

Back