Broken crkt Chogan, is it ok to throw full tang hawks?

Rat Finkenstein

Gold Member
A hawk should hold up to throwing. The most you should expect from a bad throw with a full tang hawk is possible damage to any scales it might have.

I haven't even had that much happen.

The only tomahawk I've made has been thrown hundreds of times at ridiculous distances and targets with no issues. I wouldn't expect that from every full tang hawk, because I built mine to play with. That said, you get what you pay for. The price of a CRKT doesn't quite justify a fantastic heat treat...

The estwing is pretty inexpensive and I bet it can stand up to heck of a lot of use or abuse.

The curve at the pommel makes the Chogan throw poorly anyway. IMO, a straight shaft makes for a better thrower anyway, much better release. In that regard, the CRKT full tang hawks are not for throwing.

Hey guys, first time poster here. Just food for thought on the name tomahawk. I'm sure the DoD had a lobbing weapon in mind when the Tomahawk cruise missile was so named. Not to say all tomahawks are for throwing, but I can understand why some have that idea.

BenR.T.

Tanto grinder & High performance blade peddler
A properly tempered tang on a full tang hawk should never break.

BenR.T.

Tanto grinder & High performance blade peddler
Don't get me wrong, I am NOT surprised the tang broke on that hawk and I am not surprised that an $80 factory knife breaks when someone batons it.
Most factory knives (all that I know of) are through hardened and through tempered. Meaning that the entire blade and tang is at the same hardness.
Most custom makers doing full tang tomahawks (including myself); will give the tang a spring temper, which is incredibly tough.

Don't get me wrong, I am NOT surprised the tang broke on that hawk and I am not surprised that an $80 factory knife breaks when someone batons it.
Most factory knives (all that I know of) are through hardened and through tempered. Meaning that the entire blade and tang is at the same hardness.
Most custom makers doing full tang tomahawks (including myself); will give the tang a spring temper, which is incredibly tough.

From what I've read, both from Toooj and Mr. Becker himself, the KA-BAR series is differentially tempered/heated, so the blade portion is harder for edge retention whereas the tang portion is springier for durability. Whether or not CRK follows the same process is unknown.

I am on the fence about it, I think at least he should take responsibility for breaking it rather than blame CRKT for not calling it a battle hatchet.
I assume most things I throw could break.

Given all the junk many mass produced knife makers pawn off to their customers I wouldn't worry about CRKT having to replace something IMHO. This isn't to say that hawk is junk but betting there is no injustice being done.

I think throwing and tomahawk go hand in hand. This really bums me out cause I was looking into getting a kangee but that handle design looks awful.