• Preorders are LIVE for the 2024 BladeForums Traditional Knife

Traditional Knife Information Thread - make sure you go in there and read up.

Requirements: Be a Gold or higher member or have been a member of the forums since 6/2023 with at least 100 posts in the Traditional Forum. Preorder is for people who live in the continental US only, international orders will be separate.

Delivery expected in Q4 2024, hopefully before the holidays.

User Name
    Serial number request

Broken scales

Today I was cutting an ironwood scale with a hack saw and the thing snapped right in half:o I didnt have the vice too tight ,I was carefully sawing and for once I was paying attention.
Is this common with burl woods it looks like it broke right where the color change is in the wood.

Joe,
Did you say you were thinking about makig really small knives?
Sorry couldn't help it. Spend some of that moldy money and get a
mitre saw.:D I know that you know youcan't have too many tools!
Matt

Hi Joe,
It is a bummer when one does break!!! I have used gorrilla glue to salvage it and showed the flaw to the buyer. But if its a clean break it will be hard to find the crack after the wood ages.
Best of Luck!!!!

Hi Joe,
It is a bummer when one does break!!! I have used gorrilla glue to salvage it and showed the flaw to the buyer. But if its a clean break it will be hard to find the crack after the wood ages.
Best of Luck!!!!

Now that you mention it Dave I got away with that with some bloodwood one time. Might be worth a shot.
Matt

Joe,
Did you say you were thinking about makig really small knives?
Sorry couldn't help it. Spend some of that moldy money and get a
mitre saw.:D I know that you know youcan't have too many tools!
Matt

I've been wanting to try a mini knife:)
Maybe I can use them for bolsters ,it broke right in the middle.....doh
Ya know I was gonna spend my christmas money on a band saw instead of boots too.

Joe,
Definitely bolsters then. I have seen ironwood on several knives as bolsters and it's SWEET.
May be a blessing in disguise.
Matt

Back