Broken USMC...Again!

Let me put it to you this way. If you love something, you don't toss it away, never again to see the light of day. You use it as was intended, clearly showing you gave the knife the love it deserved. If you are wondering why Kabars from WW2 are still around and kicking while the current models seem to break left and right, it's probably because the old timers didn't do the things to their knives that we do to ours.

agreed. to be able to improvise is great, but there's a proper tool for every job.

Get a 9. You won't be sorry. That USMC kicked butt for a long time. If anything, I think the OP is a testament to the knife's hardiness.

yours is not the first 1217 I've seen snap at the blade/tang junction due to abuse.
The fact that it survived as long as it did is a testament to how tough those knives really are.
get an exposed tang knife, hatchet, or a froe for batonning/splitting duty - they'll last longer if the HT is done right.
(and yes, I baton hatchets)

Showing my Kabar love.
tumblr_mvx19jVzfJ1rd4pxuo1_500.jpg

Do you use socket wrenches to hammer nails? Makes about as much sense as what you did with that knife.

Do you use socket wrenches to hammer nails? Makes about as much sense as what you did with that knife.

"atoning, chopping, and general beatings" are exactly what one would expect this knife to do. What else does one do with a knife like this? And Mr. NYOutdoors clearly acknowledges the abuse and isn't complaining about the knife's demise.

Per Ka-bar:

"On December 9, 1942, after the start of World War II, KA-BAR submitted a knife to the United States Marine Corps in hopes that it would become general issue to that branch of the military. Working with the Marine Quartermaster Department the original design was revised and production began of an improved fighting and utility knife for the Marines.

As the War escalated, the USMC KA-BAR knives became so well recognized for their quality and so abundant in number that "Kabar" became the name by which many referred to this knife pattern, regardless of whether the knife was manufactured at the actual KA-BAR facility.

The USMC KA-BAR was adopted by not only the Marines, but also the Army, Navy, Coast Guard and Underwater Demolition Teams. Years after World War II, many KA-BAR knives were unofficially reactivated in the Korean, Vietnam, Desert Storm, and Iraqi Freedom conflicts.

Today, the original USMC Fighting and Utility Knife remains the first choice for many men and women of service who carry it as their personal knife option. It is also a favorite of adventurers, survivalists, outdoor sportsmen and, of course, knife collectors who know that this knife deserves a place in their collection."

Given the knife's intended purposes, I wouldn't characterize Mr. NYOutdoors' usage as unreasonable, though it was by his own description prolonged and possibly abusive. Its not like he hacked through concrete blocks or pried up manhole covers with it.

I agree with IWHAF,

I was out by the fire tonight thinking to myself, that guy needs a BK-2 Campanion,
Great minds think alike,

If you break that one switch to oil heat

Just what I was thinking also...

the oil heat idea would work also...:D

Let me put it to you this way. If you love something, you don't toss it away, never again to see the light of day. You use it as was intended, clearly showing you gave the knife the love it deserved. If you are wondering why Kabars from WW2 are still around and kicking while the current models seem to break left and right, it's probably because the old timers didn't do the things to their knives that we do to ours.
BINGO,someone give this guy a cigar.

Looks like it did alright! :)

Stick tangs are often tainted by rumours for being weak but they can and do hold up pretty well. But seeing as you need soemthing with a little more strength I'd reccommend this..

It's a genuine British MOD survival knife. Over built to the max and made from 1/4" carbon steel with a sythetic or wood grip. Made to spec's so that the heavy handed British squades couldn't break it! lol and they break everything!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRITISH-ARM...960?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f2b500090

Mine is identical to that one, but I've removed the coating with some wet n dry.

Great knife, designed to dig, chop, split, smash and tear open door frames! lol I love it, and mine is hair shaving sharp! Only needs a few minutes on the diamond stones to remove the crude factory edge and make it more like a sabre grind.

The Kabar was designed for much darker deeds than chopping wood. :)

Correct, which is why the USMC Ka-Bar is NOT great as a wilderness knife. Fact, the Army P3 Quartermaster is a better woods knife than the Ka-Bar. The Army version is 1" shorter and thicker for prying open ammo boxes.

You got all the good out of that blade! It doesn't owe you a dime. Thanks for sharing. I keep meaning to get me one of those.

The Kabar was designed for much darker deeds than chopping wood. :)

7" of straight blade. A tip that when presented in reverse grip is at nearly a perfect angle for a dagger like thrust. And a slim blade that keeps its full thickness all the way to the last 1/4". And a handle that no one has a hard time retaining.

That isn't at all what a camp knife looks like

Back