Bronze cable supplier

Anybody have a line on a supplier that has some medium diameter bronze cable?

I found something interesting on making bronze cable damascus, and am interested in trying this for myself.

Doc

What I have seen refered to as bronze cable damascus wasn't made from bronze cable, but was steel cable with the voids filled with bronze.

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

ilmarinen - MODERATOR
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
It's exactly that.Brass poured over cable.Run this google search,"bronze cable damascus tutorial".Read the warnings three times before you even think of doing this.You will be real dead if you do it wrong!

If I remember correctly ( I need to use the way back machine ;) ) Ed Fowler had some articles on something he called "Dambrascus" in Blade Magazine like 15 years ago!

bladsmth said:
It's exactly that.Brass poured over cable.Run this google search,"bronze cable damascus tutorial".Read the warnings three times before you even think of doing this.You will be real dead if you do it wrong!

Not terribly worried about zinc poisoning. I run my foundry furnace outside because there is no telling what was used int he junk stuff I use for casting.

I could have sworn the core of the stuff was bronze cable. Oh well, I got plenty of steel cable here for this purpose.

I tried this once only I took a few short cuts. First I cleaned the cable with strong toilet cleaner and then used brazing flux and brazing rod with the OA torch. After I ground the thing to shape I blued it and it looked real nice.
Being an ex foundry man I will also say KEEP AWAY FROM ZINC.
Good luck I am sure you will be pleased with the colors you get.

The first things I read when I was investigating the idea of small foundry work was that brass and bronze can kill you. I read that those odd color flames, usually green, are the result of zinc burning off in the pot. I understood what this could do and have always been exceptionally careful about where I was standing in relation to where the smoke was going.

I find it amazing the stuff that is found in aluminum pieces too. I have melted down a couple of lawnmower engines, and some other junk to find out that there is manganese in the material and not pure aluminum. I understand that this stuff is just as ugly as the zinc too. I also foudn out that if you ever get the manga hot enough to reach a "burning" temperature that you would not get it put out with anything you are going to get from the hardware store in a household extinguisher.

Still fun stuff though. Just like anything else....read alot, think alot, read some more, and then give it a try. I have made this a habit with everything I have taken on hobby wise, and it has always paid off. Now where is that junk dirt bike at.......

Yea Sweany....that was it. I looked it up again last night.

Very sharp looking stuff I think, and thinking of other materials that could be done that way.

Doc

What I did was bronz a wire damascus blade, applying brass rod to coat the entire surface then grind it off the surface before hardening the blade. It did increase the cutting ability. There are a lot of alloys that could be tried. I was going to persue it but found 52100 steel and never gone back to investigate the potential. One hint, the material used to bronze the blade permeates the wire damascus, thus the variation in performace. There was very little visual evidence on the surface of the blade.
Adequate ventilation is always mandatory.